Antonio Tarver vs. Bernard Hopkins

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Developing, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Developing

Developing Valued Member

I had to first check the thread titles because I thought this would have already been discussed but I guess since it just happened last night no one has gotten to it yet. Well I'm only going to say that I have never been so happy to be so wrong. I have always liked Bernard Hopkins. I like his style. He's a throwback to earlier fighters in a lot of movements. And he even said himself that he used a "Jersey Joe Walcott" style to roll and slip punches thereby minimizing unneccessary movement and saving energy. That's what he did last night. And that's what he's done for last 15 or so years of his career. But I just didn't think he could handle Tarver. I was in the barber shop prior to the fight and I said that Hopkins knocked out Glen Johnson a guy that gave Tarver some trouble and devestated Roy Jones (not the prime Roy I know but he still beat him) but that did not neccessarily mean that performance would carry over to Tarver. I said it might be an advantage but probably would not be enough. I thought Tarver's size and reach advantage would overwhelm Bernard. Boy was I wrong. Hopkins defeated Tarver easily and in some rounds appeared to be toying with him. He took a little shot at Roy at the end but I think he earned the right to say that. But anyway I hope he keeps his word and retires as this would be a perfect way to go out. And I also think Bernard showed a lot of class by telling Emanuelle Stewart that he wants his new prodigy to do well next week. That being none other than Jermane Taylor who unseated him from his thrown ealier this year and who is set to take on Winky Wright next week. Now that will also be very interesting but that topic is for another thread.

2. freak

freak Valued Member

hopkins is one of my favourite fighters, glad he won yesturday

3. Faminedynasty

Faminedynasty Valued Member

The fight reminded me of an older brother sadistically smacking around his younger brother so as to impress a girl. Hopkins just looked like he was having way too much fun in there. Good for him.

4. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Yeah he was having a good old time, hope he ends it on that note.