Antique Katana

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by PersonasBinar, Jan 24, 2004.

1. PersonasBinar

PersonasBinar New Member

OSU:

My great aunt has this Katana, the handle and scabbard are ivory I think.

Ornately carved. Someone in her family brought it back from Japan YEARS ago
    with his wife he met and married in Japan.
    Could be as far back as 150 years.

She'ss getting on in age and getting information from her is quite difficult.
    She has some incredible pieces in her possession from all over the world.
    She has willing this Katana to a museum and apparently they are thrilled to receive it. She is a family mamber I cherish above all others and I would NEVER imagine interfering with her wishes. I wouldn't say no to this though!!!

I remember staring at this thing for hours as a child, it's magnificent....
    You have to see it to believe it.

Would anyone know where I MIGHT find more information about it?

Cheers.

2. PersonasBinar

PersonasBinar New Member

When I go home i'll try and get some pictures of it

3. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

Sounds interesting. Ivory was not generally used. Could be rayskin?

Really need to see some picturs to get a good idea.

If you cant post a pic you could email some to me and I could give you a good idea.

Regards Hyaku

4. PersonasBinar

PersonasBinar New Member

OSU

Rayskin? Please excuse my lack of knowledge in the area of the Katana.
    I know i'm being vague.

I'm sorry i will try to get some pictures as soon as i can.

5. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Normally the handle (tsuka) was wrapped in ray skin and then a silk cord wrapped around that (tsuka maki). If you really want to know more about it you'll have to get a copy of the mae off the nakago (if it has one). This information usually has the date, name of the smith and possibly a number. The number is how many torsos the sword could cut through in one cut. Japanese R&D was nasty :D. This requires you to remove the blade from the handle though so if your not comfortable with the idea dont worry about it.

6. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Personas, these can be extremely vaulable. A family member brought a katana back from WWII (Saipan). The estate received a very large sum from collector in Chicago.

7. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

I was hoping the thread would not go this way. Still what can you expect.

What looks like ivory is perhaps this stuff shown on the header of this page.

http://www.bunbun.ne.jp/~sword/Hagakure2.html

Please dont start trying to dis-assemble it until you know what it is. Possibly it could have some value and if you start trying to take it apart you may damage it.

Just take some pics first.

8. PersonasBinar

PersonasBinar New Member

If a museum is supposed to take it I wouldn't imagine taking it apart. As it is I get a mechanic to fix my car...lol.

No worries there

9. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

and what exactly is that suppose to mean?

10. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

The possibilities of trying to knock the mekugi out the wrong way. Sticking it a vice because the tsuka wont come off. Putting on chemicals because the tang is rusty.

I was once shown six Tsuba that someone had "polished up". The list is endless and the last thing I would advise someone to do is "Take it apart".

Fortunately PersonasBinar got the message.

11. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

There is nothing wrong with taking it apart if you know what you're doing. There is plenty of information out there how to do it and many of us here are knowledgable enough to explain how to do it, including myself. The way you phrased it made it sound like I was giving idiotic advice which bewilders me. If you want to know the most about the sword as possible inspect the mei and you should know that.

12. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

Yes I know what you mean about inspecting the mei. As you know one should take a sword apart from time to time to examine it, especially if its used.

But I have seen some swords in very bad condition. Over the years everything sometimes gets fused together if no one knows what they have in their possesion.

13. PersonasBinar

PersonasBinar New Member

Well, for more years than I can remember, this has being sitting on my Great-Aunt's mantle. I can assure you she hasn't been taking it apart, I doubt it's been opened in 40-50 years.

14. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Hmm, Sounds like it may need a good polish job which can be a hefty investment. Hopefully it wasnt stored in a humid room.

15. PersonasBinar

PersonasBinar New Member

Nope pretty dry....she has gobs of valuable antiques