Antifa will be Classified as Terrorists

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, May 31, 2020.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Per Trump's Twitter account.

Funnily enough I wanted to ask earlier what people thought of them. Are they a good or bad group collectively?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Back in the day they killed actual Nazis.
    (In Germany, during WW2)

Now it's mostly just college kids playing dress up.

And it's not even an actual organisation, so his "banning it" doesn't even make sense.

He's just outlawing being against Nazis, to get publicity from his fans. Which does have the implication they may be fans of Nazis.

IronMaiden1991 likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Random thought,

How come the KKK isn't classified as a terrorist organisation, they've killed plenty of people.

4. Dead_pool

Interesting!

President Donald Trump tweets Antifa will be labeled a terrorist organization but experts believe that's unconstitutional - CNNPolitics
    (CNN) - President Donald Trump tweeted Sunday that the United States will designate Antifa as a terrorist organization, even though the US government has no existing legal authority to label a wholly domestic group in the manner it currently designates foreign terrorist organizations.
    Current and former government officials say it would be unconstitutional for the US government to proscribe First Amendment-protected activity inside the US based on simple ideology. US law allows terrorist designations for foreign groups since belonging to those groups doesn't enjoy the same protections.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I thought the insane clown posse was on a terrorist list of some kind?

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

The KKK is listed as a Domestic Terrorist organization. Actually Homeland security lists White Supremacist as Domestic Terrorists and the KKK is white supremacist organization

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Mitlov and Dead_pool like this.
  7. Dead_pool

8. Dead_pool

I think the issue here is what exactly is trump saying, is he trying to ban the organisation, and thus enable the arrest of any "member".

Theirs a difference between being on a watch list, and being a member of a banned group.

9. windwalker

windwalker Member

With out being designated as such.
    Federal agencies will not be able to use their full power across state lines.

being labeled as a terrorist organization, or being labeled as part of one brings in to play many other laws that are unavailable for use otherwise.

In many cases local municipalities support the group not enforcing existing laws against their activities.

10. ned

ned Valued Member

My understanding of Antifa is that it is an autonomous collective of different organisations, just like the anti - fascist movement in the UK has been traditionally.
    There is no leadership or membership as such.

I don't know when the term was first coined but shortening from 'anti fascist to 'antifa' seems to me a dumbed down rebranding for mass consumption, to deny it's true ideological integrity - many people have good reason to be supportive of anti- fascist politics.

11. windwalker

windwalker Member

Can explain in your view what fascist are and what they do.

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

If this administration manages to actually do it, no-one will be able to credibly deny that the United States is slipping into authoritarianism.

I don't think that not having a central organisation is a problem - you get autonomous terror cells. The problem is a bit more fundamental than that - a lack of terrorism.

Looking at it objectively, it would make more sense to designate Christianity, or even the NFL, terrorist organisations before antifa.

This is simply posturing to create boogeymen in order to energise his base for the upcoming election. It is part of a wider strategy attempting to tie Democrat politicians to the idea of terrorism (especially if they are brown, women and have a non-European sounding name). The whole thing is a branding exercise. The term "radical" is attached to anyone left of the Republicans in order to invoke the marketing message of the war on terror.

Only one type of nation allows nazis to march in the streets while arresting those protesting against them as terrorists.

ned and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Dead_pool

Interestingly, People using poor English to ask for definitions, often don't actually want definitions, they're just looking to format a straw man.

IronMaiden1991 and ned like this.
  14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

There is no single definition of fascism, but common features are authoritarian state corporatism, social darwinism, along with racist pseudoscience and mythology.

So a fascist is anyone who advocates these ideas.

Swastikas are usually a bit of a giveaway, and in the US anyone who thinks The Turner Diaries is a good book will be a safe bet.

ned and Dead_pool like this.
  15. windwalker

windwalker Member

ya got me on the English. Missed it.

Wow must be a mind reader. Isn’t that what fascist do.
    Accuse others of what they do.

fascist has been redefined to mean many different things. One them a way of keeping or attaining power or control.

It’s good to know what someone means by this term as they apply it to different situations.

16. Dead_pool

No, projection isn't an exclusive thing to demagogs and fascists.

But Trump definitely does that, all the time, I wouldn't say that's the reason he's said to be a fascist though, it's just a sign of a mentally weak person.

And many fine people have said that, people are definitely talking about that, trust me.

IronMaiden1991 and ned like this.
  17. ned

ned Valued Member

I could but am not inclined to bother answering rhetorical questions from people who offer no reasons

for asking, or opinions of their own.

Dead_pool likes this.
  18. windwalker

windwalker Member

Thanks kind of what I was looking for in understanding some of the post using this word.
    The clip talks about the word, and how it has changed.

19. windwalker

windwalker Member

would that be "free" a free nation

where
    'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

does it only apply to "speech" one agrees with or "peaceably" assemblies one approves of ?

20. Dead_pool

So Prager University has many many issues with it.....
    For one it's not a real university, and for two it's literally Rightwing billionaire funding propaganda, so that's an issue straight away.

PragerU - Wikipedia

PragerU, short for Prager University, is an American non-profit organization that creates videos on various political, economic and philosophical topics from an American conservative or right-wing perspective. The organization was co-founded by talk show host and writer Dennis Prager and Allen Estrin.[1][2] The videos are posted on YouTube and usually feature a speaker who lectures for about five minutes.[3][4] The organization relies on donations, and much of its early funding came from fracking billionaires Dan and Farris Wilks.[2][4]

They also assert climate change isn't real (see fracking billionaire funding) and that feminism
    Is destroying America.

Saying that don't you have some wierd beliefs about female soldiers being a liability?

IronMaiden1991 likes this.