Anticipating Fight/Flight or "Adrenaline Dump"

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by honest_john, Oct 1, 2004.

1. honest_john

honest_john New Member

Unless you have practiced your techniques so much that they are instinctive, you will always come unstuck in a real conflict situation becuase the part of the brain that stores your knowledge on this subject will be out of bounds, plus you may also get stuff like tunnel vision. All of this is dependant on the severity of the adrenaline dump into your bloodstream of course.

Anyway, does anybody know of any established techniques for dealing/preparing with/for this? obviously you can no longer pick a fight with a peasant alá medievel times to gain practice - The law tends to dissaprove :rolleyes:

2. Krazy5051

Krazy5051 Valued Member

If your techniques are not instinctive :

1) Let your opponent hit you first - but remain calm and prepare to take control once your adrenaline hits in.

2) Let your opponent attempt to hit you, you'll usually find that the mere threat of an opponent lunging at you is enough to make your adrenaline pump in and you can avoid the attack and take control.

3) All else fails, keep pre-loaded adrenaline syringes in your pocket.

Yours in martial arts,

Kid

3. iTengu!

iTengu! New Member

my advise, spar.

I'm not talking about a bunch of the shinny red foam padding and a groin cup. If you wear this stuff you will be at a disadvantage because realistically you never wear this stuff on the street, so you shouldn't train in it. Start out slow, ie light contact, and work your way up to harder and harder contact. Get used to being hit because you can't possibly block every assault. Learn to take a punch.

Also learn some grappling. There is a thing called gravity, of which you can't fight. so, you need to know how to fight on the ground.

4. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

stay calm. i've done it every time someone really attacked me. another suggestion would be to whale on eachother until getting hit doesnt bother you. of course, the second one, i havent tried, so it's just a guess.

5. Raven927

Raven927 Valued Member

It takes a lot for me to fight so I usually go mental because my emotions are all messed up and I get a lot of adrenalin.

6. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

:rolleyes: And it's that one punch which could knock you out, distort your vision, and generally knock you on your ass for a further beating, which you might not be able to come back from.

FEAR DOES NOT EXIST IN THIS DOJO DOES IT ? NO SENSEI !
    DEFEAT DOES NOT EXIST IN THIS DOJO DOES IT ? NO SENSEI !
    PAIN DOES NOT EXIST IN THIS DOJO DOES IT ? NO SENSEI !

AND WHAT IS THE WAY ? STRIKE HARD, STRIKE FIRST, NO MERCY SIR !

KID KRAZY, WARM EM' UP ;)

:bang:

7. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

Now look at what you've gone and done Wushukwan!!! My wife is calling me from downstairs wondering why I'm laughing so loud!

On a serious note...martial arts does not teach you instinct. when someone goes to hit you, your natural instinct is to a: flinch, b:deflect, c: raise hands to block etc...
    martial arts, regardless of how often you spar, teaches your hands what to do with that instinct. In class you go over the drills over and over again...you're standing there, he punches, you block etc.... it does not matter how deep his stance is, how committed his punch is ...the basic fact is that your mind is learning that when a punch comes in you can block like this, or sidestep like that yadda yadda...the rest is fine tuning.

And only carry adrenaline syringes on you if you have a batman utility belt...those things are pointy!

Okay Peacefull tiger...permission to call me a tosser!

8. Peaceful Tiger

Peaceful Tiger Happy Member

I read his post and instinctively typed what I thought about him onto this thread.
    I thought Kid Krazy was back with more of his well thought-out remarks :rolleyes: , then noticed the date on his post.
    I deleted my post in accordance with terms of service and potential violation thereof.

He hasn't re-appeared as I had initially thought, which is a good thing.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  9. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

:D Ah the Karate kid.. Here is one more for ya !

Miyagi : "Ask one more small request"

CobraKai: "Make it fast"

Miyagi : "Ask leave boy alone...to train "

CobraKai : (HUGE GRIN) You're a pushy little bad word deleted ain't ya ! ? But I like that !, I like that !".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2006
  10. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Someone call?? :D :D

11. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Yeah, Pointy, where have you been? :Angel:

12. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Couldn't get my tights on :D :D

13. garth

garth Valued Member

Practicing techniques again and again until perfect does not totally prepare you for a real combat situation any more than being a member of a rifle shooting club prepares you for war.

On the street you may actually be the technically superior fighter, yet loose because you had not trained to handle the threats, language, aggression and down right dirtiness of your attacker.

Having you partner in the dojo take up a posture and throwing a punch to which you defend is only the beginning. One should add pressure to the training by having your partner walk around you, point at you, threaten you, push you and then make a sneaky attack. From my experience attacks do not come from the fighting posture. they come when your attacker is pointing at you and the point turns into a punch or the shrug of innocence turns into the head butt, or the turning of the back turns into the excuse to pull a knife.

Soldiers train for war by going to the battlefield with having explosions, gas, tanks, live and blank rounds etc. This is to get them to honestly experience war in a real way as possible.

You must also practice honestly if you are to make your martial art work. The battlefield of the street is a million miles from you and your mate doing a few nice moves in the luxury of the heated, lighted and padded dojo.

Gary Arthur
    www.toshindo.co.uk

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  14. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

So true!

15. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

Thanks for that post Garth...I never really thought of it like that.
    As a youth I got into alot of fights as well as being mugged so I suppose I just never factored in the many people that have not had the bad luck of being in such experiences.

It actually puts many things in a new perspective...
    Cheers
    Nick

16. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

Good point. If you add pressure in the dojo like this, then you are less likely to be flustered by it when you meet it on the street.

IMO- the use of bokken in training with full-powered strikes have been the best things in my training for dealing with stress. If they connect, they can kill you. I would only do this type of training with a person I totally trusted. Some of the guys I have seen who would try to change things and fool around might get someone killed. But knowing that if you do not move out of the way of a bokken coming at your head you could be waking up in a hospital really raises the realism and stress.