Anterior deltoid imbalance

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cavedweller, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Cavedweller

Cavedweller Valued Member

I've been working out regularly with kettlebells for years but only started working out in the gym in late November. This evening I noticed a pronounced bulge showing through the shoulder area of my tee shirt on the left hand side which is not there on the right. Having googled this I have established that this is my anterior deltoid muscle. For some reason this muscle is much more pronounced and rounded on the left side than the right. It seems weird to me as I am right handed. Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone got any ideas as to the cause?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

probably more time spent with your left arm in from of your body. do you do any activities which have you like that for extended periods of time?

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Could be some swelling - that shoulder been sore recently?

Is your left shoulder stronger than your right?

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You've been impregnated with a hostile alien embryo.

In a few days it's going to burst out of your shoulder and drink all your beer.

It was good knowing you.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Ignore him. No self respecting shoulder alien would drink beer. If you've got a wine cellar though, you might have a problem.

6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

[​IMG]

But seriously, it can happen for any number of reasons. My left bicep is slightly stronger than my right from opening an explosive resistant door with the same hand for a few months while part of our hallway at work was blocked. It even happens from exercise where you're used to recruiting certain muscles more on one side. Any other imbalances between left and right?

If you can't identify the cause then try doing some bilateral work. Overhead press with dumbbells to what your right shoulder can handle should fix that up in a few months to a year.

7. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

MIght seem like a silly question but do you know how you injured yourself?

Does the injury look anything like this?

http://phoenixshoulderandknee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/distal-bicepts-tear.png

If so, then you may possibly have had a rupture of the distal attachment of the biceps. It balls up and looks like a lump on the antero-lateral side of the shoulder.

It is odd to have an injury without a reason but sometimes with acceleration you can pull this off (possibly from the kettle bells). In rugby I see this quite often when someone rips the ball out of someone's arms. The sudden downward pull agaisnt the ball handlers isometric resistance causes the tendon to pull off the bone or a small piece of bone to be pulled away.

If it is within 2-3 days and you aren't too old then you might want to go to an emergency department where they can look at you and get it reattached. Lots of doctors won't reattach it if you are in your 40's and upwards. Only problem is whether you can get seen and how long ago this happened. If it is looked at quickly then it is easy to fix (relatively). If not then the surgery and outcome aren't as good.

Hope that I am wrong but that's what your description sounds like. MIght be completely unrelated but I thought that I would bring it up (as I have previously had a MAP member present with the exact injury that I am describing). Good thing is that many people have this problem and for most it does not affect their lifestyles.

LFD

8. Cavedweller

not that I can think off...

9. Cavedweller

Don't think it's a rupture. There is no bruising and no pain.

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

maybe a pic of each shoulder for comparison could help?