Another workout...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Noib Da Mutt, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

the work out would be hard.. but probably quite damaging to your body. Its cool that you try new things, but work within the confines of what's good for you.

2. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt Banned Banned

just trying to innovate people, I like the variation excercise of touching the foot to the bottom, except I'd do more... and you could possible reduce joint stress by alternating every hundred meters or so...

3. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

In all honesty Noib, I don't think I'd try that. Road running is hard enough on the knees.

4. Noib Da Mutt

In all honesty, your calves hurt more than anything afterwards...

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I don't disrespect you - but when you give out "advice" that is likely to cause harm I WILL speak up.

You want constructive advice? Ok...

This routine, and the previous ones for that matter, are ill conceived, dangerous to the point of negligence and generally BAD.

Now - if you can point me to where I have personally attacked YOU rather than your poor advice - I'd be most greatful.

6. Noib Da Mutt

I don't have a problem with that at all... Although, I'd like to note that I never presented this as advice, I gave it as a suggestion to hear what people thought about it afterwards... When I conceived this and did it, I never thought about the knees, but now that it has been brought to my attention, I can conceive an alternative that neutralizes that problem... The whole idea is to innovate new techniques toward training, steada the same old same old... And just for the record, my knees weren't really sore or hurting when I did this, although I can see how this excercise could effect some people...

7. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Two words that give a more effective and safer lower body workout:
    1)Squat
    2)Sprint

8. YODA

Excellent - now we've made progress.

The problem is that when someone posts a training routine on the internet - some people may wrongly think that the poster is qualified to give physiologically safe and sound advice and take it as "gospel."

Imagine a 14 year old, newbie but promising athlete, reading your initial post and heading right outside before the first reply to try hopping on one foot for a mile.

When he injures himself and potentially ruins the prospects of a bright career as an elite athlete WHO do you think his parents will come looking for? The original poster - who may be impossible to trace - or the owners of the forum, one of whom is a qualified fitness and kinesiology instructor and who is very easy to trace - and sue?

How then - had your original post outlined the workout and asked if we thought it was a safe and a viable routine, you may have got a better response. For my part I acted a little unfriendly - and I appologise for that.

9. Noib Da Mutt

both are good, although, I reccomend lunges over squats...(but that's a different debate of the past)... sprints are great... Only thing is, neither work the calf, foot, and balance in a way that this does, plus this works on endurance as well, only problem is people's knees, so, we gotta find a way around that...

10. Noib Da Mutt

cool deal... although that is in the most extreme case something like that would occur...lol...

11. YODA

I agree - it is extreme - but life has a way of dealing out extremes when you least expect them!

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Noib - You just don't listen. You have so far refused to admit that this is a very hazardous workout, to the point that it is in no way worth doing, especially when compared to the alternatives. To come up with creative ways of training, you should have some sort of idea to it and have a bit of knowledge to back it up instead of just thinking "oh, maybe I will hop for a while, then kick, then stretch, then run, then kick" etc. with no real goals apart from thinking at the end "omg, my legs are in pain". It just seems that you can't admit that you know a lot less about training than other people on here. Just because you have an idea that hurts or might feel like you are getting more results at the given time, does in no way mean that it is better than the zillion other protocol given out for free by the best coaches in the world. The fact that you think lunges are an all-round better exercise than squats has some relevance, but I will direct this more at this thread. This workout is cack, plain and simple. Please reply without discussing how I am "disrespecting you" and without including various other ways of digressing from the real point.

13. Noib Da Mutt

if I'm not mistaken I believe I have been reccomending people help me brainstorm for a safer alternative...

14. Ad McG

That isn't my point. You always try to pick at arguments and digress instead of getting to the root of the debate. My point is that just within this one thread, you have barraged us with poor training theory. The first page alone was enough to make me cringe. Allow me to quote:

Why is it worth getting used to?

Why will it "strengthen your legs like crazy?" why should you do it as often as you feel strong enough?

Ever wondered why a very qualified person has nothing but negative comments in your threads?

Ok, lets' go second page as well, what the hell.

People give constructive criticism and scientific evidence to you all the time, especially in the aforementioned squats thread, that you duly ignore.

Did you even say that? Crazy.

Now we're getting to the core of the problem. You need to ask more questions rather than try and state more "answers." If you want good training theory created from a scientific basis for specific goals, you have come to a good place. Usually a quick search should sort out your needs. However, if you feel that you don't have enough variety or something else is missing from your workouts, post it here and ask for suggestions or opinions. It seems like whenever you do ask for opinions, you defend your training suggestions to the point of ridicule rather than look at them objectively. Asking for a suggestion would be much better than posting one that has no real basis on theory behind it. There are a zillion different plans around the internet tailored to all kinds of goals by very qualified people, unlike yourself. Try them out before you try "innovating".

PS. I'm sorry, I still can't get over the fact that you think lunges are better than squats :D :Angel: :woo: :D

PPS. I have been in the pub all night, so excuse my poor grammar, punctuation etc. However, I stand by my points sober or drunk :D

15. kevamania

kevamania Valued Member

Without innovation science wouldnt be where it is today.So the idea behind posting something and asking for comments/suggestions is cool.
    Seriously though an up and coming/current athlete could have seen that and tried that.or even a less than averagly fit person could try it and have real problems.
    what is the purpose of your proposed programme?the only thing it will enhance is your chances of injury.No disrespect,im open minded about things like this.

It might be a good idea to have this section set up similar to the events promotion section.
    eg someone posts a workout and one or more MODs or members who are qualified review and rate it(safety,effectivness etc) and leve a note ,eg not suitable for beginners.
    Could save a lot of people injury/wasted time

Just an idea

16. Noib Da Mutt

^^^^^that's an excellent idea, I'm really likin' that one...

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I concur. Having the same excercises gets boring, but doing completely random ones could turn out to be dangerous or just a waste of time. Having someone who know's their stuff rating them would be nice. :)

PL

18. Vitriol

Vitriol New Member

So much stressing over someone who wanted to challenge themselves with something most of the people I see posting here are simply afraid of doing...

Like he quoted early on in the thread, dont post if you have nothing good to say! :bang:

19. Ad McG

Rubbish. I wouldn't do it because it's pointless for what I want to do, never mind that it's dangerous. What is the point in a discussion if you are only allowed to make positive comments? It's about as pointless as this workout.

20. Vitriol

Vitriol New Member

Alright, you made your point on the discussion deal, rest can pass through the digestive track of a camel and be released on someones dried corpse. ;)

*looks about the sky for the almighty admin to come smashing down upon him* :Angel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.