Another sad day....

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by waya, Sep 28, 2003.

1. waya

waya Valued Member

Karate instructor killed by gunshot:

DECATUR - A karate instructor and martial arts promoter was shot to death in his studio late Tuesday or early Wednesday, with police saying no valuables were taken.

Wilber Posey King, 50, was found in his office chair with a single gunshot wound to the chest after police were called to the scene at 1:57 a.m. Wednesday. No weapon was recovered, police said.

Investigators said it appeared someone entered the business after 11 p.m. Tuesday and shot King. There were no immediate arrests.

King's son-in-law, William Parker, said a student who had studied under King for several years found the body.

Jimmy Lindsey, who said he had been taking lessons from King for about two years, told The Decatur Daily that his wife studied under King and was at the studio until about 11 p.m. with her mother.

"They would spar until 10:30 on Tuesday and Thursday nights," Lindsey said. "By the time students got their gear off it would be 11 p.m. easy."

2. Holgate

Holgate New Member

I know this is going to sound bad to pick up in something daft like bad english...but shot to death...sorry but the sub editor really should have picked up on that one.

tragic case though, shows that everyone is subseptable no matter what

3. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

you can live through a gun shot you know.

tragic news however

4. Holgate

Holgate New Member

yes but journalistcly it's bad english, it should have read as:

A karate instructor and martial arts promoter was fatally wounded at his studio late Tuesday or early Wednesday, with police saying no valuables were taken.

He did after all recieve a wound from which he died. It wasn't the shot that killed him (a shot is heard not recieved) but the bullet.

It also suggests in the very first paragraph by using the phrase 'shot to death' that more than one bullet entered him but the next para of the piece goes on to say that he recieved only one bullet to the body.

Also on a legal side, and I know the media laws are diffrent in the United States but why were potential witnesses to any trial being interviewd by the press, the police in any country would see that as testimony which could no longer be used in court as it would be unreliable.

It's just the journalist and sub editor in me, which picks these things up

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

yes? (No capital Y?)

english? (No capital E?)

journalistcly ???

recieve???

interviewd???

"It's just the journalist and sub editor in me, which picks these things up"

ROFLMAO :D

6. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Its time like this that put the proper use of grammar into perspective, eh?

Namaste.

Jack

7. YODA

Sure it is jack it sure to that it is - for sure :p

8. Holgate

Holgate New Member

Ok I have a slightly excusable point, I am dyslexic so I don't do too badly on the spelling and grammer front. Point taken though

9. YODA

Glass houses / stones?

:p

10. Holgate

Holgate New Member

yeah yeah I know, I am the first to admit my spelling isn't the greatest in the world and when it comes to words like english I can't always be bothered with the captials.

I know bad English when I see it, just a case of correcting it which is the difficulty for me.

However at least I am honest about the fact my spelling is bad even if I find problems doing anything about it.

11. Kenpo_Mike

Kenpo_Mike New Member

It's amazing that someone is trying to bring up a point about someone dying and all you people can think about is grammer.

Interesting...

:yeleyes:

12. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

lol

Holgate, if I insult and you and admit I'm a nasty person, does that make it any better?

13. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Back to the topic.

Its sad to hear that something like that has happened. Do they have any idea who might have done it or why someone might done it. Keep up informed on what happens.

Was that in GA or NC

14. waya

waya Valued Member

It was in AL Chazz. I got the article from a friend of mine who lives there.

15. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

What type of Karate did he instruct? Why would anyone want to do something like that anyways? I've always thought of Martial Arts instructors to be men and women with good morals and who tried to follow a peaceful path. Hard to believe he could have done anything that bad to anyone.

16. Kenpo_Chris

Kenpo_Chris New Member

Anyone can pull a trigger. Unfortunatly, a martial artist cannot avoid a bullet. Hearing about a murderer killing an artist with a gun really ****es me off. People like that are nothing more than insecure cowards that see someone more dedicated and centered and get a short relief out of killing that person, feeling for a short moment, more superior than their victim; that is the truth.

I would like to personally meet this person and see him/her fight rightly the victims family unarmed. See him feel all the pain the family went through... all at once. That is the fate s/he deservs.

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

"shot to death" is a common phrase here in the states... unfortunately