Ankle Weights

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by WindyPhilosoph, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I've already answered this bit but if you check in the top right of my post you'll see I'm age 1. Have a look at maybe a couple of other posters??

Lazy? Don't think I've ever claimed anything else. You should check out my bin

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHkYNHTU1XE"]YouTube- IMG_0216.MOV[/ame]

Formulaic? Probably the least conventional person you're ever likely to talk to. I'm about as normal as the pope at a hen party bit with a history of striving for perfection beyond reason

Creative? Most people that know me think of me as one of the most creative people they know. My bag is design as I can't draw, sculpt or paint. My latest idea is a wave pool in the garden with a mermaid in it. Mad? Maybe. Uncreative? I think I'll pull off the wave pool & mermaid just fine

You think lifting heavy weights is lazy? Some of the guys here are actually fighters. Have you any idea how fit you have to be to get into a ring or cage? Of course you don't. They have more fitness than you're ever going to see. Do you know why? Because you make crap up to train badly instead of of training smart with information gleamed from those that have been there before!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. Suhosthe

Suhosthe A dwarf! A dwarf!

Can't... *gasp* breathe... *gasp* laughing... too... *gasp* hard... *collapse from oxygen deprivation* ... *watches video again*

3. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

What's wrong with that?

And besides, I won't be 16 much longer! I turn 17 next Thursday! :hat:

It's perfectly logical to double check information given to you about training by a 16 year old (I would). However, I would not necessarily put any given adults opinion above a 16 year old's opinion, especially not in this case. I am by no means an expert, but I know more about training then many adults do. Being an adult does not automatically make a person more knowledgeable in any given field.

No offense taken, though, just in case it seems that way. :cool:

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

where on earth do you get this stuff from? Since when did strength equate to stumpy tree trunk legs. Do yourself a favor and get educated. Because judging by what you're posting... you're a complete muppet.

5. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

How does unfit = bad?

The trend here is that "I think I'm the martial arts god, ill post like i know everything there is to know, until i get outed then ill have a rant and get banned"

6. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

That soon changes once you start drinking in the local pub...

7. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

lol moi you went all to the trouble of uploading a youtube video in my honour? oh dear.....

you do yourself no favours in expressing how serious your taking this. lulzxoorz11!

slipthefat.. strength training the legs without stretching/flexibility training will make them sluggish and slow compared to one who does. quite simple. make a youtube video if you wish lol...

8. Moi

Nothing mate, if anything I'm really jealous I'm not that age myself. You were just......collateral damage. I take lots of advice on training from my own 16 year old now but compared to some of the guys here you both know nothing, just like me.

You just got in the way. No offence meant. Did you like my video?

9. Moi

Honour might be too strong a word for it but I'm glad you liked it. Who said I'm taking this seriously?

Watch it again [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHkYNHTU1XE"]YouTube- IMG_0216.MOV[/ame]
    Oh dear! That's all I can say, Oh dear. Going to watch this one from behind a flame proof barricade.

10. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Aahhh one of my favourite weight lifting myths.

Not training in flexibility will make you inflexible.
    Strength training develops FAST twitch muscles.

The top and bottom of it is that your exercise does have value but will not improve the power or performance of my kicks (so not much value). i avoid static exercises at all cost due to them working slow twitch muscles and not helping dynamic movements.

Before you call moi up on the ego stuff bare in mind that you have came on to this forum spouting all your doe-eyed mystical over romanticised BS about martial arts training and when confronted with scientific proof and more knowledgeable people, you disregarded what they had to say believing yourself to be some kind of messiah of the old way or something.
    I came to this forum with some pretty pish poor beliefs about weight training but I was OPEN MINDED and listened to the likes of coma and cosmic fish and now I’m faster and stronger than ever, maybe you would see the benefits too.

11. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

This is key really. Heavy weight training will develop both the type IIb fast twitch muscle fibres and develop the intermediate type IIa fibres towards an anaerobic metabolism. These are the ones used for explosive force rather than aerobic endurance. Unless you're planning to go 10 rounds in a ring these are the ones you should be looking to develop, since most real fights don't last long enough for exhaustion to set in, especially when your system has just had a big dump of adrenalin pumped through it.

The idea that weight training makes you slow is based purely on stereotype, if you want to see what muscle plus training can do look at the guys at 250lbs+ currently in MMA or some heavyweight boxers and then tell me they're slow. The speed and athleticism shown by both Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin in the most recent UFC show this brilliantly. There is no way either of these guys could improve their performance by practicing static holds with ankle weights!

Most people think of weight training and they think of bodybuilders yet these guys aren't gaining mass for self defense, just to look as big and lean as they can. The other is the movie stereotype of the big slow (probably stupid to boot) thug who gets outwitted by the speedy skinny (probably cleverer) guy every time. Guess what? It doesn't please audiences much to see a bigger guy taking on skinny guys and beating the crap out of them since most of the general public doesn't have much muscle but does think themselves cleverer than average (see Dunning-Kruger effect for more info on this), so this doesn't happen in movies, unless it's at the start before the hero takes his revenge. Even phrases like 'brains over brawn' push the stereotype that these conditions are mutually exclusive.

12. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

@moi: Nice bin mate. I bet you haven't got a resident squirrel with attitude living in THAT!

@Slip: Please Slip, Don't hurt 'em. (where are my parachute pants).

@Drive-by erm i mean Airweaver: It is ok to admit you're wrong you know, It actually shows maturity and humbleness to learn a lesson publicly. Rather than keep digging that hole. Hey if you dig deep enough you may actually meet Slip down there and get to learn something valuable.

13. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

OMG! I just had to wipe dribble off my monitor after watching that! :D

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Umm... Has anyone advocated strength training with no flexibility? I certainly didn't. So please don't try to set up straw man arguements to make yourself come off as clever. You're not fooling anyone.

How about you make a video and post up your routine?
    Put your money your where you mouth is kid. Let's see your results of your hard won training knowledge.

You won't though. Your lot waffles on about a ton of stuff you know nothing about. So really just hush and head back to muppetville with you keyboard. The forums are full of your ilk that talks a lot of trash.. hands out inaccurate and ineffective training tips but you all start to stutter and backpeddle when you have to back any of it up by posting up a vid of yourself going through any of your workouts.

So really just zip the lip with your stupidity trip.

15. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

I realised long ago that arguing with such ego's on here is a fruitless effort, so I amuse myself somewhat. Seriously though, holding your leg out is all I suggested. And it is a good excersise (I find) whats happened since then is a lot of lazy people have put words in my mouth.

the fact is, what works for some wont work for others. We all have to recognise our strengths and weaknesses, I have always preffered agility to strength. and No they are not mutually exclusive.

16. Moi

Oh give it up man!

17. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine" - Bruce Lee

18. Moi

"You're a damn fool!" - Mr T

19. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

'The point of quotations is that one can use another's words to be insulting.' - Amanda Cross

'A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.' = Dorothy L. Sayers

'A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.' - Joseph Roux

'I hate quotation. Tell me what you know.' = Ralph Waldo Emerson

'Famous remarks are very seldom quoted correctly.' = Simeon Strunsky

20. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist