Ankle Weights

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by WindyPhilosoph, Feb 28, 2008.

1. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

obviously didnt try the excersise then.
    It does help, and I genuinly want you to know this, but your head is too clouded with bias. Your loss friend. Good luck on your path.

The good martial artist avoids all intoxicants.

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

So in my place what would you do? Visit your private gym and work on a variety of lifts using free weights & machines to a tried and tested routine, eating right with information supped by some incredibly knowledgeable people or..........

......lift my leg in the air with weights on my ankles because some guy who thinks a KFC is raw food tells me to.

Now come on. Even for you this should be easy to answer

Good as in effective or good as in your idea of what a good martial artist should be?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  3. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

Weights will not be there in a combat situation.

Ergo farmiliarise yourself with the weight, flexibility and agility of your own leg relative to its own weight. Its really not rocket science.

Im not suggesting those gym means are bad.. this isnt a vs topic. Both are good, both work the leg in different ways. Working the leg muscles from all angles, in all its range, in all its possible dynamic actions is a good thing yes?

Bringing the raw topic in is precisely what I mean by bias.

Im not out to troll, contrary to what you may think.

4. Moi

So when I work out I leave the muscles and strength in the gym once I've finished (say 100 tines out loud "I'm an idiot and should think before I post")
    Would a rocket scientist test the systems of a rocket in one way hoping that the rocket would lift off under a completely different set of conditions?

Or to use your own argument in it's correct context
    I'm not a billygoat

5. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

And holding a static position would be?!!

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Perhaps he's trying to put up a fence using his feet.

7. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Got over being good ages ago

8. d0ugbug

Do you find holding a punch or the Rocky K.O position helps with your punching power as well?

9. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

Make the leg as agile as the hands.

Make moving them in all angles in any direction second nature.

second nature is key.

You want them as loose and limber as possible, obviously.

what works, works.

Dexterity of the legs is better than strength imo.

Work on strength after. Having stumpy tree trunk legs which cant react quick in a spontaneous manner is.. meh.

10. Moi

So the tried and tested method of using weights and running etc: then bag and padwork actually using the kicks. What's wrong with that? Why have you had to invent something new. If this isn't your creation then were did you get the advice. You been watching too many Kung Fu movies?

11. d0ugbug

Do you actually train in martial arts or been there longer than 1 week or what?! You go on about not using weights etc and then post a link to Bruce Lee who was very pro weight training with his martial arts training...

12. Moi

...& a cannibis user tut tut!

13. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I love the way any thread can end up with old Brucie (not THAT one) , Cannabis and somebody getting their [intellectual] virtual ass handed to them. It doesn't matter what the topic is.

It should be referred to as Bruce's Law.

14. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Anything that the ankle weight leg lift accomplishes, can be accomplished much more effectively with a good strength and stretching routine.

15. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

Eh... I do not claim to be on either side of this thread's debate, but static kicks and/or very slow kicks (i.e. static-active flexibility training) do (does) help strengthen the muscles that hold your leg out in an extended position. Strength within the full range of motion gives the kicker a LOT of control over his or her kicks which automatically makes them a better kicker. More control allows a kicker to use more complicated kicking combinations, feinting to a greater degree, and (I think) increases the potential for great speed in kicks (because of the control, there can be a tighter and more efficient use of energy).

I'm not saying that the ability to hold a kick in an extended position above your head or chest automatically increase the kicking speed, but I do think it increases your kicking ability (or has the potential to) tremendously. Bill Wallace is a great example...

I agree to a certain degree (lol!), but not completely (rofl!). I think a good strength routine for a martial artist who is based heavily around kicking high (or anyone who wants to be an awesome kicker like Bill Wallace, the Karate Girl, or Chloe Bruce) should include SLOW KICKS to develop control and strength within the full ROM as well as adductor strengthening exercises to allow them full ROM splits.

I think the more control you have over a movement, the more efficient it can become. I think the more efficient a movement can become, the more potential it has for speed and power. I mean, sure you don't have to hold you arm out in front of you to develop static-active flexibility. You already have static-active flexibility for your arms in most of your full ROM. Kicking is a totally different thing, because most people don't grow up using their legs and feet within their full ROM, thus the strength is not developed and there is not very much static-active flexibility.

Patrick

16. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Pishflaps. Sanctimonious pishflaps.

17. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

18. Moi

19. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

ridiculous statement. Just stop embaressing yourself ok?

Take the blinkers off your eyes and admit you are just lazy, formulaic and not very creative.

The trend here seems to go thus.. 'if Im too unfit to do it, id rather call it than myself bad'

20. Moi

No he's 16. I'm not saying a 16 year old can't give me knowledge but I wouldn't use the opinion of one without checking with an adult first and when I say adult I'm mean knowledgable adult.