Anderson Silva is an idiot

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Van Zandt, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

To think he could hang with the best taekwondo athletes of the modern Olympic style game (and at the Olympics of all things) is outright delusional.

Either he's nuts, listens to too many yes men, or MMA really does make people think they're martial arts gods.

LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/taekwondo/32424350

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Did you see the video he posted? Dude's a stone cold MA legend but either he was sandbagging to a previously unseen level, or it's a publicity stunt because frankly I'd beat him in that form and I'm rubbish.

Mitch

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Or could it be that he is finally slowing down with age? Or that he is rusty with TKD- having focused on MMA for quite a few years?

Anyways, he says he wants to do the Olympics, but I believe they are more stringent about Drug Testing than the UFC. He is already banned/ or going to be soon for testing positive for several substances.

4. Mitch

I think that's the point we're making, plus that he looks very unlikely to be able to get to Olympic level in time from where he us now :)

Mitch

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

From what I read, he would have to "audition" as it were. Brazil as a host nation can let in 3 or 4 competitors for each sport with no question and the rest will have to compete to get in.

I don't know if he thinks he really is that good in TKD or its a stunt...but either way it'll be interesting to look at.

Saying that GSP made asperations to go for the Canadian Wrestling team and no one batted an eye lid despite training wrestling only during his MMA career. Stories were said that he rolls with the actual Olympic team and it is said he is high up there...but that can easily be promo work.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

He knows the system (5th dan TKD, if I recall) and is a world class athlete and fighter. I'd like to see him "tryout". I bet he'd be a handful for any opponent, even with the different rules. If I recall, you still can win in Olympic rules with a KO! :)

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

He can dream, but he's ever making it last the first serious qualifier.

GSP wrestling was different. He has proven to be an excellent wrestler, out wrestling Div1 champs with ease. Even then many people discredited him and said he wouldn't get far.

8. aaradia

I think this is tied to his drug test failure in another way as well.

He is trying to distract people and get them to talk about him doing the Olympics, instead of his failed test.

And maybe he is thinking if he got in, it would redeem his damaged reputation.

The mighty have truly fallen.

9. Mitch

This is supposedly where he is at now.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_IYJnowIyR8[/ame]

Here's a coach demonstrating some drills.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fwWaMrMEM6s[/ame]

Mitch

10. aaradia

11. Mitch

He's undeniably a superb athlete, and though I don't know how he is perceived in MMA perhaps he would bring some publicity to TKD? Maybe there is an ambassadorial role for him.

Mitch

12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

It's funny how things work.

Carl Lewis failed 3 times before the Seoul Olympics and he was still able to compete.

LFD

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah. In MMA he was legit. But Olympic taekwondo is a different beast. His kicking is awful, never mind the issues of speed, timing and distance. He's not even at national standard. I think it's a mutually beneficial publicity stunt.

Silva wasn't good enough for Olympic taekwondo in his prime.

Being a drugs cheat just makes this endeavour all the more facepalmworthy.

His chances of even making it through a (legitimate) qualifier are nil to jog on son.

You just need look at GB Taekwondo's "fighting chance" initiatives to see how some of the best kickers in the world (many of them from ITF TKD organisations) have struggled to make the grade in a full four-year Olympic cycle.

And Silva hopes to do it in a year, at his age, and with those awful kicks and reflexes?

Not going to happen.

It's beyond a joke if they do that, and doesn't do much to help Brazil's reputation for corruption in sports. I'm sure Brazil isn't struggling that much for quality athletes that they have to resort to this circus act.

Anyone who thinks he's good at TKD doesn't know TKD.

Difference is, GSP could wrestle. Silva is awful at TKD.

No doubt his credentials as an athlete and fighters are top notch.

But athletics and fighting are specific, and Olympic taekwondo is too specific for Silva's athleticism and fighting abilities to carry him very far. I'd see a first round, first minute knockout by even a marginally good TKD player.

^This. So much this.

He's even more nuts than I thought if he thinks this will stop people labelling him a drugs cheat.

That video hurts my eyes.

And that's Paul Green, 2004 Olympian. Even with those skills he didn't medal and the man admitted himself that at his age now (38) he wouldn't qualify for the Olympics.

Off-topic: I had the "honour" of getting knocked out by Paul at the 2002 British Open.

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'd bet you could find a better kicker for TKD in most clubs, never mind national standard.

I was quite shocked at how sucky that looked :eek:

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Silva's forte has always been a pinpoint counter-puncher and clinch knee'er.
    Erm..ideal things to take into WTF TKD.
    If Brazil fields Silva the US should field Chris Weidman. See how Silva fairs kicking him some more. :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

16. Mitch

I hope you thanked him afterwards :D

Mitch

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Come on guys. He's not trying in that video. He's getting older, but he's still Anderson Silva.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Prime Anderson Silva was no good at Olympic taekwondo.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

:)

20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

40 << 83