An American Lost in England

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Becks, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Becks

Becks New Member

Hey Everyone :)

I'm Becks, currently living in Kent, England. Originally I am from California which is where I trained in Kung fu for three years before leaving the country for not-so-sunny skies.
    Currently I am doing Ninjitsu but looking to add something else to my schedule. So far no luck in finding any serious dojos in Kent. Everything seems quite focused on showing off and beating people up. Any suggestions would be very helpful!
    As for non-MA, I am halfway to getting my PhD in Chemistry and I cannot wait to be finished!

Thanks in advance for any help :)

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Welcome Becks. Whereabouts in Kent are you?

3. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Welcome Becks!!

As a Canuck lost in the UK for more than 15 years I can tell you there is lots on offer here!!

Do you have transport? What type of KF did you study before? Why do you want to train now and what do you hope to achieve>

Just a question, what do you mean when you say focusing on beating people up and showing off?

LFD

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Whats arts are you interested in, serious TMA, Serious Sport MA?

5. Becks

Becks New Member

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies :)

Sifu Ben - I'm in the South East, around Tonbridge

LFD - My boyfriend drives, I studied Fu Chen Kung Fu, I want to train again because I miss it. I miss the strength both physically and mentally, the discipline, etc. I want to achieve strength and try and find some inner calm.
    As for beating people up and showing off, I mean teaching a style with a lack of focus on technique and mental stability, and more on showing who is more 'manly' and looking 'cool.' My previous dojo was quite serious and very focused on the mental aspect of martial arts in addition to the physical. No one could qualify for a black belt simply for showing up for a certain number of classes. They had to have the right mind-set and technique (not just in forms, but in all aspects). No offence to any people who study these martial arts. It is just not what I am looking for.

Fusen - I am looking for anything, really. I would be happy to try something new. I am not big into competitions and the like. Seeing as it has been years since I have done serious training, I need something I can start a bit slowly with.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP! :)

8. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

What about an extra session at the ninjutsu dojo? :)

BTW: Is it a Bujinkan/Genbukan/Jinenkan group? Just wondering as you called it ninjitsu with 2 i's.

9. Ben Gash CLF

10. Ben Gash CLF

11. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hi Becks,
    I'm in Kent myself, about 30 mins up the road from you in Medway. I run an open training group practicing Taijiquan locally. If you're interested in trying another style of kungfu, you're welcome to give it a try.

James

12. Becks

Becks New Member

Genbukan. I spelled it with two i's because I was tired and not paying attention :p

13. Becks

Becks New Member

Sifu Ben - Thanks, I am looking into those now :)

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Just stay to the paths. Don't venture off the path

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

California to Kent.

You have my sympathies.

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Is MAP's own Simon not in Kent somewhere? South of Nottingham is a misshapen blur to be honest, rather like the inhabitants, but Simon or JWT would be among my top choices for training in those far off lands ;)

Mitch

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I always thought that was rhyming slang?

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm pretty sure that JWT is from some other part of England's 'deep south', but Simon is definately from Kent.

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Someone call?

I am only about 15 miles from the OP. I'm happy to help.

I can be contacted by e-mail. Just click on my username and there will be a link.

20. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Welcome!

Osu!

Dan93