Amulets

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Reakt, May 19, 2006.

1. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Awww :cry: ...and here I thought everybody wanted to be in the Mad Monk fanclub. The benefits are just so cool! :Angel:

Besides, it seems we're both students on Master Yun-Men...

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  2. xen

xen insanity by design

:cool:

3. mattnz

mattnz Die or get rich tryin'!

Amulet's do work, I remember when I defeated Koga at Fuschia City and received the Poison Amulet, I could then control up to level 50 Pokemon.

4. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

HAHAHAHA! brilliant :D

5. MadMonk108

:love:

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

You already are... what have you got to loose.

7. xen

xen insanity by design

thankyou

*bows*

i don't do fan clubs, but i do aknowledge wisdom as i perceive it :)

--------------------

the thing with amulets, if you go down the path of developing a belief/understanding of how such symbolism has been used by various cultures, and then applying it to an object, you will psychologically be transfering part of yourself into the talismen.

you are telling yourself that the power to keep yourself well does not reside in you, it exists in the trinket.

setting that up as a perceptual reality may, in the short term, provide you with the some additional self-belief, the object/symbol represents power, so while you maintain this realtionship with it, its energies mix with your own and you become more than you were before...

but in reality, all you ever need is already inside yourself, it is your own mind which is the seat of your 'power'

why give it away?

8. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Nothing wrong with that at all. And taking the time to learn a language is definitely not dabbling. But you also need to understand that you're not part of a culture until you are invited in.

A lot of people (myself at one time included) think that (for example) just because you can eat with chopstick and you wear a Mao jacket, you're entitled to be "one of the guys" or you demonstrate the fact that you really care about Chinese culture.

I actually should have said "outsider" sounds the same in every language (it's just that "white men" tended to be the most disliked outsiders/colonizers). My point is that different cultures often borrow and transform things from other cultures (see Engrish). But that doesn't necessarily mean that they love us or that they want to be American. Lots of people make that mistake.

- Matt

9. MadMonk108

Or that the words of "white man" and "outsider" are sometimes synonymous in some cultures.

10. MadMonk108

I'll still send you the T-shirt.

11. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Ok so the fact is pretty much all of us here clearly don't believe that an amulet has magical powers that will make you a better fighter... good.

The other discussion about the NHS and time wasters shows that Bil Gee has arrived early at the standard old-man stage of complaining about how society today is full of big softies. He may actually be right but I still don't see any rational solution to the problem that several posters raised about the benefits of 'early detection'. I myself put off going to the doctor when I cut through my small finger because I thought it was a bad cut that was just badly bruised. I stuck out the pain and eventually after the bruise disappeared I discovered I still couldnt bend the top half of my finger when I eventually went to the doctor he told me I had sliced through my tendon and that my finger was now stuck like that unless I wanted to undergo two surgeries (which I didn't). He also told me there was a possibility it could have been reattached if I had come shortly after it happened.

12. xen

xen insanity by design

:cool:

i'll write you a haiku and post it by return

;)

13. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Matt you seriously had a Mao jacket?

14. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I can neither confirm nor deny that. I can also neither confirm nor deny that I wore it to a Chinese Resturant once.

Ah... college.

- Matt

15. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Last year we were going out to a mexican restaurant, when the plan changed because a new japanese place had opened. I had my coat taken from me and sat down and enjoyed the meal. When I was paying, the receptionist was kind enough to translate my tshirt, which I had forgotten I was wearing. :bang:

Loosely translated, it says 'beware of the pervert'

Attached Files:

16. MadMonk108

I have a t-shirt that says "I Hate White People" in Chinese characters.

I purposely wear it whenever I visit NYC Chinatown.

17. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I have a shirt that has a few trains on it, and under the trains it says Watashi wa baka na amerkiajin desu (I'm a stupid american).

Its by Paul Frank.

For some reason "baka" is written in katakana. I guess that just addes to the stupidity.