American Sniper "The Legend" Chris Kyle Punches Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by John R. Gambit, Feb 1, 2012.

1. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

This story has everything!

Former Montana governor/WWF star/Navy UDT soldier/Libertarian/9-11 conspiracy supporter VS. Chris Kyle/SEAL sniper with most confirmed US sniper kills.

[Warning: Some adult language in videos.]

(Part 1)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhjHWovwix4"]Navy Seal Sharpshooter Chris Kyle Punched Jesse Ventura - YouTube[/ame]

(Part 2)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2TdoAJ3wzg"]Witnesses confim Chris Kyle punched loudmouth Jesse Ventura in the face. - YouTube[/ame]

[Disclaimer: Mr. Chris Kyle, I apologize in advance for posting this small portion of your story here, as it appears you are generally embarrassed by the attention it has received. I also apologize for referring to you as, "The "Legend," knowing how much you dislike the title. The title seemed particularly appropriate with your fisticuffs with a former WWF star who has his own fighting nickname though. Please forgive the indulgence of the martial arts nerds who will hopefully derive some pleasure from waxing hypothetical about what punch must have downed such a giant. Thank you for your service and your sacrifices.]

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Popping off at a wake for dead Navy Seals isn't a very smart thing. It's an unfortunate incident but it's not like it was high on the list of probability given the context.

Though to be honest I find the disclaimer rather disingenuous... why would you apologize for using his nickname (that apparently he dislikes) when it's obvious you don't feel the lit bit of remorse using... I mean come on... you used it in the title of the thread. :rolleyes:

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Grain of salt.

He's on a book tour and Ventura says it never happened.

*Shrugs*

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Jesse is now part of the conspiracy of silence? Cool!

5. John R. Gambit

I never would have thought Ventura would speak ill of dead SEALs. If you look at how he behaved prior and during his governorship, versus how he behaves now, I have to wonder if the poor man didn't suffer some sort of neurodegenerative breakdown.

And actually the apology was sincere. I still feel it's a bit of a word-against-the-ToS move to jump on the bandwagon to repeat this story. The guy saves numerous American lives, sacrificed time with his family and risked leaving them fatherless, lost comrades, broke sniper protocol (risking military punishment) to engage directly in CQC to teach better entry tactics to infantry on the ground who kept getting killed, and risks criticism from the larger SEAL community for breaking silence to tell a story about the sacrifice soldiers and their families make during war hoping it will result in better military benefits for widows and widowers though awareness on the subject. To top it all off, I believe the guy is sincere and humble from the interviews I've seen him in. He's a national hero as far as I'm concerned.

And how do we thank him as a country? We overshadow the larger message of his story and repeat the sensationalist crap that is entirely not the point of his book. Then to add insult to injury, after he discloses how much he hated the nickname he was given in the military (other SEALs learned he hated his nickname and teased him with it more frequently because of it), it gets more attention being thrown around casually in the media.

So why did I do it? Well I won't rule out sleep deprivation since I've gotten two hours in the last forty-eight. But also I guess I thought MAP wouldn't change public awareness very much on the story with it being so widely reported in the major media outlets already; and even if it does get him more sensationalist publicity, hopefully that will increase his book sales and bring his true message to a larger audience.

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I can't imagine JV speaking ill of anyone in the military. He's been the most pro-service politician I've ever heard speak. The version of the story that was in the Indianapolis paper was that the guy who punched him ran out of the bar before Jesse could get up. I think there's a lot more to the story than what anyone is saying.

7. John R. Gambit

I don't know, Chris Kyle seems like an intelligent and genuine person, and he seemed quite believable when he told the story. Also, Ventura was leveling veiled threats about assault charges during media coverage. What possible motivation could he have for making it up? To sell more books? His book sales/tour was already going great. He hadn't identified who the person in the bar was in the book (which was wise in my opinion). He had A LOT to lose by lying about the story, and it may have increased his sales temporarily, but if he was caught lying, it would destroy credibility for the entire book. I just don't think an intelligent person would make that decision.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Never put stupidity past intelligent people.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He's on a book tour. His motivation is selling books.

This whole 'I hate the spotlight because I'm such a humble guy' is a act. He wrote a book, for crying out loud. There's not much more you can do to seek the spotlight than that.