American Hoggers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cuongnhugirl, Apr 17, 2013.

1. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

This show is pure hogwash. No way would someone use a barrel jumping horse worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to hunt a dangerous animal like a wild boar. ANd wild hogs are rarely that big, unless they're really old. These hogs look fattened up, meaning i suspect they're farm hogs released into the woods and "hunted" to make a show. Its supposed to be a "reality" show but this country girl is calling crap Pardon my language.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If you know your language needs pardoning why post it?

3. cuongnhugirl

Couldn't help myself.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'd be more upset that the slaughter of animals is being marketed as entertainment.

What do you think that says about your country?

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Invasive hogs are pretty terrible for the environment. From a purely ecological perspective, killing off invasive animals is a great idea, and shows that popularize that are awesome.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

What does it say about you that you use one stupid show (that I've never even heard of) to bash a country of 300 million people?

That said, so long as hog hunting is being done in a humane manner (with a high-powered rifle, not a spear), I have no problem with it. Like deer hunting in more northern states, this is a problem of a lack of natural predators and thus a massive overpopulation of prey animals, which will ultimately lead to mass starvation in the hog population, and mass destruction of farmers' crops, if the animal population is not kept under control through human efforts (aka hunting).

Research from Texas A&M University:

http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2013/0...ent-harvest-feral-pig-population-will-double/

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That puts the mods in rather a position then, doesn't it. Masked profanity is a ToS violation. Knowing that, if you "can't help yourself," you're rather forcing out hand.

8. holyheadjch

So that justifies turning their slaughter into entertainment?

Whether the culling of wild boars is necesarry is irrelevant.

9. philosoraptor

I'm sorry, didn't you guys already kill all of your wildlife with gladiatorial battles and bear baiting? Sure, if more people hunt hogs because of a television show, I think that's a good thing.

10. holyheadjch

TV shows are reflective of the culture in which they are developed. If producers didn't think a significant portion of Americans would get off seeing animals slaughtered, they wouldn't have developed the programme.
    Again, irrelevant. You can cull animals without turning it into a spectacle.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Controlling feral and problem animals is one thing. Something that needs doing.
    Taking pleasure in it and making a TV show that takes pleasure in it is quite another.
    In the UK we have to cull red deer (and maybe even boar at some point as their population is growing too).
    I wouldn't expect a tv series about it though.
    It's not entertainment is it?

12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

(1) If you've got to do it, may as well make a reality show out of it. Why not? This is also a country that made a reality TV show out of cleaning sewers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0XUCis-8b4"]Sewage cleaning - YouTube[/ame]

(2) Culling hogs is done by private citizen effort, not by governmental agency. Thus, if you're going to cull 66% annually of a 2.5-million hog population of Texas, which researchers at Texas A&M say is necessary, you're going to have to get private citizens excited about doing it. A silly reality TV show serves that purpose.

13. philosoraptor

I feel bad for the fish man, they have had fishing shows for decades, killing thousands of the poor beggars and no one complains about that.

14. cuongnhugirl

Are you enjoying that cheeseburger? Enjoy, just don't go to the slaughterhouse where it came from. You may not like what you find there.

15. cuongnhugirl

I grew up fishing and i've hunted deer and hogs. Hogs breed like rabbits and compete very succesfully with deer for food so you are actually helping the enviroment by keeping the hog population down.

16. philosoraptor

Not going to lie, I really want to go hunt hog with a spear and some dogs. Getting my caveman on and all.

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You missed his point.

18. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I fail to see how saying "yay!" instead of *sob* when you kill a hog that needs to be killed hurts anybody.

19. holyheadjch

Which doesn't mean it needs a TV show.

And anyone who thinks fishing shows is the same thing, is either being facetious or is an idiot.

20. holyheadjch

You'd have a point if there was a UK TV show that focussed on the slaughter process. But there isn't, because we're more civilised than that.