Ambersports- Sambo shoes

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kurtka Jerker, May 24, 2012.

1. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I'm looking at buying some sambo shoes from Ambersports.com and something about the site is giving me a sketchy vibe. Does anyone have any experience with the site? If I could find a reliable place to buy some I'd go somewhere else but all I'm finding is this site and ebay sales of the shoes from that site.

http://www.ambersports.com/samboshoes.htm

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Never heard of them. They do a very wide range of gear all under their own label. The site itself is a standard pay-backend cookie-cutter site. Seems as legit as any other... though I've never heard of them. But in this day and age that doesn't always mean much.

Just out of curiosity.... is there a bit difference between Sambo shoes and your bog standard Adidas or Asics wrestling shoes? Which could be had from probably a lot more places.

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I dont think it would be a big deal wearing wrestling boots for sambo, outside of russia it probably more common than wearing actual sambo boots, but they are pretty different, more like a thick leather sock than an actual boot.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ok interesting. I don't think I've ever actually seen a proper pair of Sambo shoes. I've only just realized their jackets have that extra flap at the shoulder. Interesting.

5. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I could do a judo jacket but the main difference between wrestling shoes and sambo shoes is the rubber. Sambo shoes have plain leather soles so you don't get any knobs to grip when heel hooking or toe-holding. How flat they are makes for more consistent grip all over the shoe, if not quite as solid. Makes unexpected sticking and the resulting knee damage less likely, I'd imagine.

On the jacket, the jedi shoulder-flaps are mostly cosmetic but the material is often smoother and there are belt loops, so you don't have your jacket all over the place after the first belt-grip throw.

Also it'd be nice having a full kit without cutting any corners if I can.

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I agree it would be cool to have the fool outfit just because but to be honest any sambo boots iv seen being solid online always look kind of cheap and there always on a dodgy looking website, and even though there not really built for the same porpoise as you said a half decent pair of wrestling boots would probably last you much longer.