Amateur Photography

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by YODA, Sep 3, 2005.

1. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I think Im enjoying the last pic :D

More Slip more!! :D

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

You can resize your photos in Photobucket Mel. If you click the edit button above your pic you can resize by 50%, 75% etc.

Looks like you got off to a fine start to me! :)

3. YODA

Some fine shots there mate!

4. YODA

Slip - you're a pro and it shows!

Thanks for sharing :)

5. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

lol. I had a convo with YODA about this last night before I read this, and his opinion was something similar. Maybe I really should look into this whole post capture editting.....

6. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

7. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

yeah you should, it's really easy to do and it's a good skill to have if you're in the design industry, or if you just want to be able to touch up your own personal photo's.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Thanks there Yoda,
    You've got some fine shots yourself. I'm a big fan of the macro stuff... but I've never managed any of them myself.

It's always great to see other peoples shots. Thanks for starting the thread.

In the last several years so much in photography has changed... sometimes I don't know if much of it is for the better.

More and more I interview assistants that know a lot about the computer and the digital side of things... but very few with actual hands on skills or the ability to solve real world problems like getting gear in and out of countries. It's a bummer.

I've had both ups and downs with digital bodies. I've had a few of them die on me. :bang: The other issue that I dislike about the digital side of things is that the more digital you get the more peripheral gear you need. I'd much rather spend my hard earned bucks on more lighting gear and travelling to exotic locations with models in tow than to buy more hard drive space. :cry:

One positive (among others if I'm to be fair) is that with digital you have instant feedback. Gone are the days of running to the lab and having clip tests done and burning through packs of Polaroid. So the digital gig is not all that bad.

Digital cameras I think are coming to their peak. The current wonder camera is the Canon 1DMrkIIs. What beautiful piece of gear. I've compared hi-rez scans of my Med. format stuff to files off teh 1DMrkIIs.... and ya know what... there is almost no reason to lug around the old RZ anymore. :cry:

Mamiya will very soon have the ZD.. their med. format entry into the digital market... allegedly at 22mp. It will give Canon stiff competition... One more impediment to jet setting around with models. :bang: :D

The digital side of things has also changed the business side of things. People often want digital shot for less than film. Clients often assume there is no cost like their is with film (Polaroid, processing + mark up)... unfortunately it's simply not true... only with digital what happens is much of the workload that was done by the lab now gets dumped on the photographer. It's got to be charged to someone... so it takes a very gentle hand to 'educate' the client as to the reality of it all.

As of late lots of photographers have screwed themselves by offering cut price for digital over film. In the end it only comes back to bite them in the hind end.

All the associated skills that digital require are amazing... color calibration, use of Photoshop, file organization etc. It adds up to a huge amount of new workload for photographers. I don't relish days on end sitting and culling/editing/sorting photos on the computer for jobs. The whole reason I got into shooting for a living was that I loved travelling - not being tied down to a desk or office - getting a flouro tube burn. :bang:

Anyhow - I'll stop my whining. :D

Great thread... post more shots guys! :)

9. YODA

Good stuff Slip! :)

A few more of mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. NaughtyKnight

I really love the black and white water shots.

My dad is a photo nut. If you open his fridge, you dont have any food, just row after row of film :D

11. YODA

That's the "Falls of Dochart" that runs through the village of Killin in Scotland.

12. NaughtyKnight

If you ever visit the land down under, bring your camera, we have more beautiful photo opportunities than people, not that thats hard :p

13. Topher

Topher allo!

Great photos Slip.

Just one question - were the blacks in the first photo altered? Looks like they were ;) Otherwise, very good lighting there.

I like the lemon one best.

I think some of my fav photography is macro and close up faces.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  14. slipthejab

Thanks for the compliments.

The first photo - the shot of the guy with the abs and the glasses on.
    No the blacks were not altered. In general if I do more than simple spot-touching (spotting for dust if I've scanned them myself off of transparencey film) then I post what was retouched with the other relevant file info.

With photography in general it's my opinion that it's easier and ultimately saves more time if you capture it correctly the first time. That's what light meters and metering technique were made for. Many people make the mistake in thinking that they can fix things quickly and easily in Photoshop once they've captured the image. It rarely works out that way... for amatuer photographers that are not on a deadline or cost constraints it's no big deal - if it's a paying job - then you can eat away your own profits very quickly by spending all kinds of time adjusting things on the back end instead of putting in the effort on the front end.

With monitors (both LCD and Trinitron) what you see isn't necessarily what you get... and it only gets worse if you don't have the skill to calibrate your monitor to your output device or to the standards and color space that your printer is using... many times when shooting for magazines and ad agencies you will never what parameters they or their printers are using, many times they have no calibration themselves... so that's where the craft and experience come in... it pays to shoot dupes, shoot it right on film/digital the first time, and make sure your gear is calibrated. That way if there are any issues with the print proofs you can work with the art director to sort them out... at the end of the day it's your name that gets credited to the image... and no one remembers that the magazine had a crap art director... but everyone will remember that they thought the photograph was crap... even if the photographer had very little control over the image once it left his hands/hard drive.

The shot of the lemon with the glass bottle is a classic old school studio shot. It took hours and hours to get one shot. I kid you not... several hours to capture on film 1/250th of a second. :D

It all comes down to craftsmanship at the end of the day. You have to be willing to put the extra work in to get an image out that you think is worth having printed.
    Though - you also have to be able to draw the line and say when enough is enough and weigh that with the money being made on the job. This is why learning how to quote jobs properly is such a major part of the business... no one wants to put the extra work in on a job that they later realize they've misquoted by a country mile.

At any rate... Photoshop is simply a tool - it pays to have a good game plan for a shot... a bad shot with Photoshop is still a bad shot. Composition, color and mood are everything.

Anyhow enough babble from me on photography.

Let's see some more images people!! :)

15. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Slip, it's no fair that you're posting here and showing the rest of us up. But, I like you, so I'll let it slide.... just this once. :love:
    Every once and again, I get the CD when I get my prints. But I deal prefer to deal with film, I know I know... I'm in the minority. Besides, when you are doing photos for a project or weddings or such, its nice to have something the people can go through physically.

Attached Files:

16. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I'm not so sure about that (looking back through the thread) - more of a 50/50 thing. Usual rules - a new technique comes along, but the old one still has its place.

I had heard that digital photography is not accepted for insurance purposes - to easy for 'anyone' to fiddle the pictures, whereas it takes far more skill to trick a chemical based film into making a crack in the wall (etc) appear or to vanish :D

The beach photo is very relaxing - I could imagine myself walking along there into the distance. Nice one :)

17. hawkfish

hawkfish Shodan - Shotokan Karate

18. slipthejab

eek! I am feeling warm and fuzzy already!!! :p

Naw, everyone has the ability and the talent to make good images. There are some crackin' ones that got posted. I am always genuinely interested seeing what others shoot. I still find it amazing how two people can look at the same subject matter and both walk away with such stunningly different resultant images. Of course this means I need to zip my lip when my clients have their art director around. :D

One thing I've found is that many many working photographers don't shoot anything in their spare time. A good friend of mine rakes in reams of cash shooting interiors... he is tough tough competition... but aside from it being his job... he has no real interest in most photography! I find this incredibley strange! :eek:

Even though about 50% percent of my clients are commercial, I enjoy shooting news. The pay is generally not anywhere as good, the work is hard and sometimes not real safe... but it's more about being there at the moment that history was made sort of a thing. Lifestyle over bottom line in some ways. In my opinion so many people have lost site of that in the quest for bigger and bigger paycheck. Sigh. :cry:

I understand completely. There is a tactile quality about film that is not the same in digitlal media. I personally don't have a very strong background in darkroom work and printing... but the little I have done of it was immensely satisfying... in a way that sitting at a computer can never be.

Up until 2 years ago the vast majority of my images were shot on film. I still have a massive stock in the fridge. Both for pro work and personal work. Though I think in reality photography on the tech. side has pretty much gone through a paradigm shift. It's nuts... investing money in digital bodies.... aggrrrhhhh... don't get me started. I still mend holes in my own socks for Christ's sake! I hate the idea of having to replace a body every several years!! :bang:

Anyhow... enough rant... here's another image for inspiration! :)

Attached Files:

19. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

I love photography, esp. photojournalism, but I don't have much opportunity to be in "hot spots" to take pics.

I almost bought a Fuji S7000 (thanks for the advice Yoda), but ended up getting a new Canon Lumix instead because it came with a free tripod and has an very speedy shutter delay for a digital camera. Not quite a digital SLR but very close.

Here are some of mine. I have a stack on www.sxc.hu, under nzric (of course!).

Attached Files:

20. YODA

Nice StockExchamnge gallery nzric!

See if you can find mine :D