Amateur Photography

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by YODA, Sep 3, 2005.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Do we have any budding or established Amateur Photographers here at MAP?

I don't mean people who point & click on Auto - but people actively trying to get the best of of their equipment and produce photographs rather than snapshots, whatever level you're at.

Here are some of my recent shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

From what I have seen in Chat and on MSN of some of the photos you have taken, I am looking forward to watching this thread :)

3. Trampler

Trampler Fire upon the Void

Fabulous they are. Firework the best one is. Is there any place to see them all? :eek:

4. Topher

Topher allo!

Nice work :)

I would consider myself an amature photographer but sadly i dont have a camera :p although I'm saving up for an Canon Ixus 50.

I always looking at everything (no exaduration ;) ) with photography in mind so am looking forward to finally owning a decent camera.

5. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  6. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Oustanding!

I do quite a bit myself,but I am so crap at getting them from the camera to the pc.

I have about 10 rolls.yes I said ROLLS, of film that needs to be developed.
    YODA,what kind of kit do you use?

I have 2 cameras that are my main source:
    1 is an old minolta T-200 series that I use for B&W only and I have an old Cannon AE-1 with winder for most everything else.

Both of course are manual.The ONLY way to go.

Personally,digital sucks.

7. YODA

I use a Nikon D70 DSLR

Film is just soooooo last century :D

8. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Lovely work guys - highlights for me are the 'wildlife' shots by Yoda, and SP playing with natural light (and dark ;) ).

I grew up around cameras and currently have a Pentax P30 (which I never get any TIME to use).

At my day job I've got a nice little Sony which takes a 3.5inch floppy in the back - it means I don't need to worry about download software, etc, I just take the disk out of the camera and put it straight in one of the 9 laptops I have on the bus. We do a lot of work with kids where they can take their photo into Publisher and start adding borders, wordart, ('Wanted' notices :D )

9. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

Gotta hand it to you guys - those are some excellent pics :)

I've had my Pentax P30 for a few years now, and I suppose I'd be classed as an amateur photographer - I just don't have the time or money to do it to the extent I'd like. I'm more of a landscape photographer, but would love to do a bit of wildlife photography if only I could afford a nice big lens (what bird is that Yoda, and was it wild or captive?) :cry: I'll have a dig around for some of my better pics (if I can find them after moving) and get the scanner hooked up to scan in the negatives.

On a similar note, does anyone do any developing at home? This is something I'd like to try now I've got a house with a spare room. Any experiences from anyone doing evening courses? I assume this is the only sensible route to go.

10. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Oh yes it is! I agree totally.......

So is getting off yer duff and actually putting in the effort to develop an eye instead of having some computer do it for you. ;)

At least with film,if my pc goes down( orr someoone steals it),I can still get decent pics.
    And who in the hell is gonna steal darkroom equipment?!
    todays generation ain't smart enough to use it!

But I must add yoda...the pics are great! What ever you use,you are doing damn good!

11. Topher

Topher allo!

I do have a thing for black & white photography ;)

12. YODA

LOL! Painters were saying the same to film photographers 100 years ago - get off yer duff and paint the scene rather than just clicking a shutter and letting the camera do it all for you :D

Thanks mate :p

I guess the film/digital war will rage on LOL!

It's ALL good :D

13. YODA

I do ALL my developing at home - using Photoshop CS2 and an Epson printer :Angel:

14. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

I tried that digital thing - the laptop didn't like me trying to fit a 35mm film in the CD drive though :rolleyes:

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Currently using a Sony Cyber Shot 5.0 for still. Great camera with lots of adjustables but not as good as film I'm afraid.

For Movies, using a Canon XL1s.

16. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

I think I'll stick with my 35mm as of yet. Besides, to replace my Cannon, I would be shelling out the big bucks for the same quality. My next addition is going to be a micro lens, but that's off for a bit.
    Anyway, these are what I have loaded on the computor at the moment. The rest of the prints and negatives are in hiding.

Attached Files:

17. YODA

Not as good as what film camera?

A big problem is that people often compare a decent 35mm SLR film camera to a middle range digital prosumer compact.

In any case - the formula I use is the popular...

50% photographer, 40% light, 10% equipment :)

18. YODA

Fine shots Wry :)

The new Canon 5D would do you just fine - it's only *cough*about £2.5k*cough* eep!

At least you could use the same lenses :)

19. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Thanks. How the heck do yall get them to actually show on the thread?

20. YODA

I've linked them from my account at www.photobucket.com ratrher than attaching them to the post.