Am I wrong? (Student Instructor situation)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MsjFreak, Feb 17, 2015.

1. MsjFreak

MsjFreak New Member

Hello everyone,
    First of all I don't know where to post this post, but I thought that this section is the best section to post it in. If else I hope from the moderator to transfer the post to the proper section.
    Let's begin the story ..
    I've joined MMA club (Actually muaythai and jiujitsu).
    Anyway, in day 2 (which was jiujitsu day) the instructor taught us some techique to practice with a partner. I was practicing it with my partner, when suddenly my partner got bored and started practising muaythai (jabs and cross). I didn't know what to do, so I just stood still. I was observing my partner movements and it appears that he was doing it wrong. Therefor I have demonstrated the right form and the right way to throw jabs and crosses. While I was trying to teach him the prober way to do it, the instructor called for a cricle (I didn't notice though) then when I was trying to teach my partner that he should swing his waist while throwing a cross I've noticed them in a cricle and the instructor was looking at us with a sharp eyes. I went to the circle and said sorry. The instructor was mad and said "do you think that we are playing? going from thing to thing?. Do you think you have the ability and knowledge to LECTURE? huh? If anyone of you think he is capable of doing that come in the middle of the circle where I stand" then He stepped back of the circle then said "I have 24 years of experience and I'm still learning! You won't ever have enough experience till you become underneath your grave, You must listen to me, learn, practice, dedecate, and most of all RESPECT!" I was really bothered and a bit of embarresed from his speech. then I've swiched partner because the other one gone home. Anyway, I was the last one who stood up to stand in a line to the "End class greeting" (don't know what to call it). While going to line up with the rest of the students the instructor gave me a sharp eye look.
    Did I do anything wrong? :confused:
    Well, tell me your opinions.
    Sincerly,
    MsjFreak
    :)

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I've noticed that some instructors tend to appreciate students teaching each other, others don't. I tend to speak up with the first and shut up with the latter. It was probably a misunderstanding on his part, but I'd just take it as a cue that he is one of the latter types and make a note to just shut my trap anytime I'm on the mat. If someone starts being weird and training something else I'd just drill BJJ eggbeaters or something until he says "Hey, what are you guys doing?" then I'd explain.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You ignored your instructor and took it upon yourself to teach something totally unrelated to another student? Then your were so engrossed in doing your instructors job you missed him trying to teach you?

You figure that's Ok?

4. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

I guess the "doing muay thai stuff when your instructor had told you to do jujitsu" is the disrespectful part.
    All the gyms I've attended have students teaching less experienced drill partners though and it's not seen as a problem in the slightest.

5. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Sounds like an unfortunate circumstance really. From what the instructor saw I can understand him being quite unhapp but from your point it might seem quite unfair and over the top. Not sure if the rant was needed, might have been better to speak to you quietly about it but then its his class to do as he wishes. Personaly I would just try to forget about it and get on with training and let the issue disappear over time :)

6. Moi

I'd explain what actually happened to the instructor apologising profusely

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Dont teach unless invited too, especially if it's only your second day.

You cant go wrong by paying attention to the instructor.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

yeeeah, the instructor could have definitely handled it in a more civilized manner, and sounds like a total douche, BUT you shouldn't have done that either. on one hand, you do NOT have enough experience to teach, and on the other, you should have been paying attention, and not played along with another newbie who was doing things other than what the teacher said to do. still doesn't mean it warranted being yelled at, though, that teacher sounds like a jerk, by your account.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  9. Moi

The OP still has his ears? Could of been worse :)

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It was incredibly disrespectful to just ignore what your instructor had told you to do, even if the other guy started it. I don't think a coach should ever shout, unless the crime is 'get the hell out of my gym' worthy, but he probably gets a lot of Anderson Silva wannabee newbs disrupting his classes, so I can't hold it against him.

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I wouldnt come down to hard on OP because i thought he said his partner was the one that got bored and started doing the MT stuff? If thats the case then the fault lies with the partner. If that is the case what should he have done?

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

When I am partnered with someone who isn't understanding or doing the drill the way the instructor said to, I say something to that student to get them on board. Example: stick fighting, they are swinging for my body. I will say " I think the instructor said we are drilling wrist shots."

If they still don't get it, I will ask the instructor for clarification in a non blaming way. " Hey, Mr. **** are we supposed to be doing waist shots or wrist shots for this drill?" Note not" Hey Mr. **** my partner has it all wrong!"

Correcting depends on the instructor, the school policy, and your experience. At my school, we can help each other out with remembering something- like a form sequence. But we cannot teach a form sequence the student hasn't already learned from an instructor first. There is a line between helping each other out and teaching. Even when showing something allowed, I will always say "but double check with an instructor."

We are encouraged to give feedback in sparring class. So I will say something like" I am feeling that kick with the side of your foot. It is supposed to be the heel." But if the kick mechanics are totally wrong, it crosses over from feedback into teaching. So I will call over the instructor and say "something doesn't seem right, can you look at our kicks?" And let him or her look at it and go from there.

If I understand correctly, you are just beginning. So you really are in no position to tell another student if they are doing something correctly or not. I have seen beginning students "correct" other students and they teach them something completely wrong! I particularly see this in TCC. Even though I am an advanced student. I don't do anything directly. If it is really awful, particularly something that might cause them an injury. I find their personal instructor and let them know so they can take care of it.

In a couple of cases where the above happened. I would later go to the student away from all others (to avoid embarrassing someone) being taught incorrectly and say "our school has a policy about asking instructors for a reason. No disrespect to that other student, but they are not advanced enough to show you that. What they showed you could really damage your knee. Don't do that. Check with an instructor. (Note- even though I am advanced, I don't teach them the correction myself.) I only do this if it may be a few days until I see their instructor and I am worried about immediate health problems caused by what they are doing.

The only time I have "taught" is when my Sifu matches me up with a beginning student in push hands. But he tells me to show them the basics. I do it because he instructs me to do so first or I would never do it. (I actually consider it a great honor that he trusts me with newbie push hands players in such a manner.)

That said, your instructor handled it in a way I would not like. I would probably look for another school if someone handled me doing something wrong like that. I think talking to you after class would be more appropriate. But that is all about the school environment. His harsh way may work for some.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  13. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

This is good etiquette. OP I'd do this in the future.

14. aaradia

So, to apply what I just wrote.

Mr. So and so. I believe the instructor said we are supposed to be working on our jujitsu, not our MT tonight.

If they still don't get on board.

Mr. Instructor? We are supposed to be working our jujitsu tonight, not our MT? Or am I misunderstanding?

15. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

As a rule of thumb don't play "sempai" or whatever term you use in MT for assistant teacher unless specifically asked to do so. However, I agree with others here that the instructor did not handle it properly. It's best IMO for instructors to deal with these sort of matters privately and with a cool head.

16. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

So basically you disrespected your Instructor, took another student to the side and tried teaching him/her something completely different, and then ignored your Instructors orders and when he/she confronted you, you get upset by it? And this is acceptable why?

17. aaradia

OP, I hope you just learn and grow from this experience and don't let it scare you off of doing MA's completely. It is a bit of a rough start, but doing MA's are awesome!:hat:

18. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Your partner started mucking around, and by joining in you were mucking around too. I don't think that deserves a public dressing down, or getting the evil eye for the rest of the class, but you shouldn't be doing that in class.

19. pecks

pecks Valued Member

in my class, you'd get laughed at (nicely), but in such a way that you probably wouldn't do it again.

20. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

As a student I was allways anoyed when other students of my grade took it on themselves to teach me things. It was usauly wrong and had more to do with ego than with learning. As a teacher I like students to talk to each other and play with what I am teaching because I want to produce thinking martial artists not robots. At the same time however, students are there to learn not to chat. So its a balance. In addition i am responsible for safety and accidents are more likely to happen when students go off script and start free-styling.

Your actions as you describe them sound very familiar. Its easy to get drawn off the point by another student. In future you will be aware that it can happen and will know that the correct response is to politely assert that "The instructor asked us to practice X and so I would like to practice X".

The reaction of your instructor does seam over the top but without the wider context its hard to see why they did it. It might be that they had problems controlling the class and that you were just the final example that set them off.

Instructors are human. Maybe they had a bad day. My advice is not to let it bother you. Learn from the experience be more assertive with training partners who want to go off track and don't let them. If your instructor is sound he will have forgotten all about it in a week or so.