Am I too old to start Thai boxing and get good?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Shooter McGavin, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Shooter McGavin

Shooter McGavin New Member

Hi Guys,

Noob here so please go easy on me :p

I'm 28 and have just started going to Thai Boxing classes, and when I say just started, I really mean it, I've been twice :)

I've really enjoyed what I've done so far, basic combinations and pad work and assuming I'm good enough, would eventually like to try competing but it seems to me that a lot of the good fighters start quite young, like in their teens and by the time they get to my age have been doing it for ten years already!!

Is 28 too old to become proficient in Muay Thai and be able to compete. My existing level of fitness is pretty good, I run, play squash and lift weights regularly but curious to know what the general consensus from the guys in the know is?

Thanks for any replies

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Much of it will depend on the state of your body and conditioning. Starting at 28 to compete as a professional? Probably not. Most are retiring by that age... but... never say never. You want to be realistic though. Start out and train for a bit... have a few club fights or inter-club fights.

Muay Thai is not running or lifting weights. It's primarily an anaerobic endeavor. Get in and train. Training is one thing... getting kicked in the face is something entirely different. Take your time and learn the proper techniques first. You need lungs and conditioning... for quite a while before you think of competing. You may find you don't like getting snotted and the low kicked. So really... pace yourself... try basic sparring after you get the basics down.

Anything else is A) not realistic B) not healthy. :)

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

To compete? Absolutely not too old!
    To get good? Absolutely not too old!

The only thing to watch is that you are hitting the cusp of 30 where your body starts to take a wee bit longer to recover from a really bad hammering, so make sure you train smart!

What level do you want to compete at? Or is it a "just because" thing? (I do those a lot!)

4. Shooter McGavin

Thanks STJ, I should probably have been more specific. My question certainly wasnt based on becoming professional, I doubt I would have that ability even if I started out at 15 :)

It was more based around am I in time to get a good grasp of the basics in order to progress to eventually competing at any level, be it inter class, or inter-club but firmly semi-pro / ameteur

5. liero

liero Valued Member

You can compete at any age. If you have good coaches they will match you up with individuals of similar skill/age/experience.

Like slip said though- focus on your training, improving session to session and when your ready you'll get into sparring and finally have some match fights set up.

6. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

I started kickboxing at 36, as mentioned above, train hard but allow yourself time to recover. I enjoy sparring but full on full contact holds no appeal. Go for it, its the only way you will find out.

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'Shooter',

I've done semi-contact competitions in Lau Gar about a million years ago and once or twice wanted to go into a full contact comp - but luckily had a cold shower instead and I was fine :)

So from an admitted position of ignorance I would say, train sensibly but hard. Make sure you have a DAMN good coach who will help you to compete in a way that tests you but doesn't damage you.

Oh yes and go for it and have loads of fun !!!

8. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Hi. I'm 43. Started Hapkido and tae kwon do last year and if this old, broken body of mine can do it well, a young buck like yourself can without worry. But it all depends on how hard you work at it. At no age will you just "poof" become good. It takes work, sweat, and dedication. You put those things into the recipe and theres no way NOT to get proficient at your art.

But most importantly HAVE FUN!!!

9. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Oh, and don't hesitate to consult a medical professional, just to be safe :)

10. Shooter McGavin

Thanks all, appreciate your comments. Looking forward to going for it now. Just got back from the gym and I feel broken as it is, muay thai can wait until next monday :)

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you're going to increase your training, it really would be worth having a look at your diet to help with recovery.

12. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

What sort of things would you suggest frodo?

13. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

I would go for it. you'd be amazed at what you can achieve. Some people take to it like naturals. Ease into it, work it up in increments, avoid injury and take care of yourself and then you'll see in even six months how far you have come. most important is find a good class and instructor, that is really paramount at this point.

14. daggers

daggers Valued Member

i took a 43 year old smoker/beer drinker with a gut and within 8 month he had his first fight (dean whites show) and won, he went on to win 2 more fights also, cut down a couple stone too. however... he stopped smoking and drinking, started eating well and trained with me 4 times a week so you get what you put in. 28 is not too old to start a fighting career in thaiboxing at all. but like i say..you have to commit fully.

15. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

You probably aren't going to become a world champ, but there's no reason you can't compete even professionaly if you train consistenty.

16. slipthejab

Two biggest factors in recovery at 28 are going to be proper sleep habits, good dietary habits and allowing yourself to take days off to recover. These are the three key areas that hamstring most would-be fighters... lack of sleep, bad eating habits, and over training thinking that its the way pro's train.

What weight are you at now and what weight is your average weight over the last 5-6 years. That's going to give you some good insight into the type of competition you're going to have as fighting is a sport based on weight categories. At 28 your reaction times are going to be nowhere near that of a 19 year old. The sad reality of it... go train, enjoy and build good habits then start looking towards inter-club fights. Keep posting and let us know how it goes. :)

17. slipthejab

Guys what sort of promotions is he fighting on? And what's the competition like? I highly doubt anyone who starts training at 43 is going to become pro. Not against any type of real competition. Not deriving his income from the fights. Sorry just doesn't make any sense.

Again... if you follow the game... start looking at the numbers. Unless you have nothing to do but train and have a good coach and a long term game plan looking to go into professional Muay Thai isn't really a reality. At 43 the vast majority of your pro nak muays have been long retired and are at most training.

If you've got a vid of the fights.. post them.. I'd be curious to see what a professional fighter who starts at 43 looks like. Surely you mean an inter-club fight.

All of this not to put anyone's training in a negative light... but are you guys following the pro fight circuit?!?! Seriously. Yes by all means jump in and train like a beast. Change up the lifestyle... have a go at a few club fights... but as a professional where your income is derived on your coaches ability to get you fights on bigger and bigger promotions you are going to be fighting the losing side of an uphill battle.

Take the training, enjoy it and mix it up a bit but don't get ahead of yourself and jump into the ring with some 19-20 year old pro who's going to dismantle you. There are plenty of them out there in the pro circuit. Don't believe me... follow the pro Muay Thai circuits and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  18. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

What circuit are you talking about here? In Thailand or the U.K./U.S. If I remember you live in Hong Kong. I don't think there are many if any fighters from the U.K. that make a living soley off fighting, they work as coaches/ have second jobs.

I do agree 43 does seem too old for the pro level. Twenty Eight isn't though.

19. slipthejab

By pro I'm referring to the Thai or the international circuit. Yes I'm based in HK so we get a lot of the Thai's/Aussies that come to fight here in China. Sudsakorn, Ekipol, Buakaw of late and over the years we've had most of the Lumpini and Raja champs fight here on a regular basis. The shows are WMC shows or WMC/WBO mixed shows as well the I-1 promotions and the more local KF-1 promotions. I doubt the circuit in the UK/US is going to offer the same level of competition but could do... there may actually be more chance.

43 doesn't seem too old for the pro fight circuit. It is too old. That's the reality of it. Sure they can have a go... but their life span in the fight circuit against any real opponents is going to be painfully short. Yes you get may be get the random guy who can pull it off for a year or so... but not for long.

Again because the fights are weight class dependant it's going to come down the depth of the competition in his area and in his particular weight class. But at 28 even if he was only training and fighting once or twice a month (twice a month will defo be pushing it) I can't really see it heading towards anything good. In my experience when I see the older guys who are game to jump in at what is considered a very late age to start training for the pro ranks (and yes by the pro ranks 28 is late) they get fed into the circuit as cans or relatively easy wins to pad other fighters score cards.

Anywho... I'd suggest a few interclub mix ups before going pro. lol. Learn to walk before you can run.:cool:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  20. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I've got a 44 year old fighting in an interclub at the weekend. 28 is kinda average for my San Shou starters.