am I in a mcdojang???

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TKDplayer, Aug 14, 2013.

1. TKDplayer

TKDplayer New Member

So I been doing WTF taekwondo for about a year and 5 months and I been wanting to if my school is a mcdojang.... it's 100 dollars a month we can show up monday thro Friday we do every kind of contact light, semi, and full depending on who's fighting... we do drills , sparing, forms, and all that stuff we also do hapiko... There are only 2 13/12 year old black belts but they been doing tkd since they were 6.... my school doesn't have contracts or black belt clubs or belt but I never seen anyone fail a test before yellow belt cost 38 green is 48 and blue is 58 and so on but I don't know how much is black belt. Also my instructor skipped me a belt I was testing for high/advance green but he skipped to blue because I knew all the high green stuff.. so yeah is my school a mcdojang???

2. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

/Me doesn't think so. A bit pricey maybe, but I don't know what the average prices in your area are.
    Why do you think you're in one?

3. TKDplayer

TKDplayer New Member

Every dojang around my town are mcdojang they cost around 145 and they have a lot of bb kids

4. Wildlings

Oh well, it's cheap then. Once more, I don't think it's a mcdojang, nothing suggests it.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Is the training good? Do you enjoy it? Do you feel it's value for money?

If so what's the problem?

Mitch

6. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

That sounds like a good club to me. When I was at my peak I trained 5
    Times a week and loved every second of it.

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Difficult to judge whether its costly unless we know where you are. Are those American dollars, Australian dollars, Hong Kong dollars?

8. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

D'yer ever see anyone that shoulda been held back??

From what I gather, things don't really start to get chisled out of the bedrock until Orange. People are gonna enter as a white belt with all kinds of differing experiences and athletic abilities and for some, bringing their diamonds out of the rough is a long work in progress.

Seems like it'd be counter-productive and unnecessary for all concerned parties to begin the weeding out process at white or yellow. I wouldna think that to be a McDojo red-flag in itself.

We had our experiences with McDs but were fortunate enough to end up in a school run by a very ethical Korean who placed a great deal more emphasis on teaching good TKD than she did on business models and marketing "product".

It was (is) a WTF sanctioned school as well, except she had the wisdom to include other elements so as not to produce students who only knew TKD under the IOC/Olympic rule set <=== hindsight, at the time we didn't know enough to see it.

I don't recall seeing any white belts get held up, but I saw a number seeking blue and purple retest or, as was the case with one of my son's, told to delay testing until all deficiencies were corrected.

He had just transferred to the WTF school from another TKD organization - not an ITF org either - this was an animal of a different stripe altogether - and Master P. held Point-Stop sparring in not exactly lofty regard to put it mildly, tighter poomsae requirements, among other things.

It was one of the best lessons he ever learned in MA. He'd worked hard for his Blue ( even McDojos can have good individual instructors ) at his previous school but it was apparent that the standards between the two schools were too far apart in some areas. He participated in all the classes, went full throttle every sparring session all wearing a white-belt - didn't mind, in fact I think he enjoyed being this funky white belt who had a lot of snap in his patterns and used some mean round-houses in sparring, lol.

Anyroads, all that to say if your school waits till the mid-level belts to start cranking the yard-arms up, I don't see that as indicative of McDojo-hood, though that's from a rank TKD layman.

Fun topic though...

9. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

That's the wrong question in my opinion.

The term "McDojo" or "McDojang" has come to be used in a disparaging manner. However, they fulfill a needed niche in the martial arts world or they wouldn't still be there, just like their namesake McDonalds.

An old Japanese gentleman once told me that the very hardest part of any martial art is showing up at the dojo regularly for a sufficient amount of time. If you enjoy going and want to continue on a regular basis, then you've already gotten through the hard part. If you don't look forward to getting in the dojo, it doesn't matter how cheap a dojo is or how well ranked the instructor is because you'll quit going eventually.

So, are you enjoying your training and do you plan to continue? That's the question that actually matters.

10. TKDplayer

TKDplayer New Member

Well I do want to continue my training but I just wanted to know if my school was a mcdojang

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Sounds like a good school to me, it does sound tho a little pricey.

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

A "Ben" in US$ is now the average in the USA

All you have to do is research your instructor, and make up your mind

13. Wildlings

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    How's one supposed to have all that money?

14. 47MartialMan

Get a job//// :D

15. Wildlings

Depends on the job :D
    I pay €250 for a whole year, lol

16. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I have a job and at night dress as a ninja patrolling the streets like him [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vgceytHzCI"]Vigilante Ninja Patrols Streets of Yeovil - YouTube[/ame]

17. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

18. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I know the town is safe :evil:

19. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

I'd say no; the place sounds fine to me. But i'm going to echo what other people have said and say that it really doesn't matter that much. If you are enjoying the training and getting what you feel is your money's worth, then stay. If you feel like you aren't learning anything or could find a better deal elsewhere, then leave. Just like you would with any other business.

Tbh, there are probably a good number of people here who would consider where I train to be a mcdojang (I'd say it's borderline). But I've stayed there because I love the environment, I've become close with my fellow students, and I feel like I'm training what I want to train.

Also, just as a side note, I don't consider kids with black belts a bad thing. We don't worry about kid blue belts or kid brown belts, so I see no reason to flip about kid black belts. It's just another rank, and if the kid can fulfill the requirements I see no reason they shouldn't have the belt. And I feel intuitive enough to understand the difference between a 30 year old with a black belt and a 10 year old with a black belt. But that's just me :)

20. 47MartialMan

Well, still depends on the job to get the proper finances to study