Alternatives to yoga

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Andrew2011, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

I think a lot of people including some I've spoken to don't like yoga because of the religious links - either being Christian or not religious/spiritual.

But what alternatives are there if you want to improve flexibility (not to mention balance, focus etc)?

I like pilates but see it more as core strength. I've tried bodybalance but don't like the loud music all the time.

The fact seems to remain that to improve your flexibility yoga is the best, most available option.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've done Yoga with no religious links at all.
    Many Yoga classes are linked to religion as much as your average aerobics class IMHO.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Been using this guys stuff on and off for probably 30 years :

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stretching-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070463/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346414519&sr=8-1"]Stretching: Amazon.co.uk: Bob Anderson, Jean Anderson: Books[/ame]

This is sort of what each page looks like... http://roberttayloronline.com/HealthFitness/Flexibility/BobsStretchingRoutine.aspx

Lots of variety and info to help you personalize what you are doing.

FWIW

LFD

5. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

Some do the "om" work or even singing. I'm a church goer but have been advised to do yoga for mental and physical health. I think swimming can be relaxing but I don't think it works the same way in this regard as yoga. night

6. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Largely, the significance of the "OM" isnt religious but rather to do with the purity of the sound, hence why its a large part of Indian classical music where many devout Muslims are involved.

Some style of yoga are deeply rooted in Vedic an indian culture, many others are not. Try out a class and if it still seems wrong to you just dont attend again.

Alternatively try pilates

8. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

Pilates doesn't do the hip joint work from what I can see but that's interesting what you say about OM. I thought it was supposed to be the sound of God.

9. Mangosteen

Depends on the sect of Hinduism. It could be reasoned that god is purity and that the sound is pure so it's the sound of god but I think it's a long shot.
    The OM sound is just used as humming as it is a sound that fits the range of the sargam (notes of Indian classical music) without intonation of other notes.
    And Indian classical music has been around much longer than various sects of "Hinduism" so maybe it's adoption

10. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

This has been my experience of yoga and that of all my friends. Yoga classes at gyms and sports centres very rarely have anything to do with religion.

12. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Is it not the same God?

What about when you say Amen....hmmm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amen

I really don't think you should sweat this stuff. I know people do though.

(I await the abuse by the pacifists) :D

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  13. Mangosteen

theres a variety of beliefs. hinduism isnt a religion as it is a collection of ideas from a number of vedic tribes that believed in different things.
    depends on the branch of "hinduism, some tribes believe in different things.

some groups believe "om" is god. others believe that that it's the sound that spawned the universe (the method through which god created things), others believe it is the resonance that exists in all things. some even believe in all three.

most believe that humming "om" is calming and good while doing exercise simply because its the same as singing cadence while running: it gives you something to concentrate on and helps fills your lungs.

if your going to disagree with a variety different beliefs such that you avoid interaction, your going to have a hard time with anything.

ive been to yoga classes where they hum Sa, Re, Ga, Ma, Pa, Da, Ni, Sa.
    depends on the class and style of yoga. just try a class, no harm in that.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  14. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

I don't necessarily disagree but yoga means union with God and that's either achieved using different means (e.g. Christ) or not at all depending on the religion. There are things you're expected to take part in like acknowledging of the divine within, the sun salutation, and chanting you possibly don't understand. It's not just meditative, there's a religious message implicit there which you might not agree with. I think the leisure centre classes, as said above, tend to play this down but try explaining this to somebody who is of a non-hindu/buddhist religion or not religious.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I think you are reading far too much into this - it is just stretching and breathing unless you want it to mean otherwise

What day was it yesterday? THORS day...yet I suspect you did not have any issue with that because now it is simply a label for the 4th day of the week rather than a celebration of the Thunder God.

Do you have a Christmas tree? Welcome to the world of Pagan Yule worship!

Go along, stretch, breath and don't stress too much - I doubt you will be confined to purgatory for doing a downward dog

16. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

The west has taken the physical aspect of yoga only. Without the spiritual and self development aspect you can't really call it yoga. It would be like bjj having only position work but no submissions. You couldn't really keep calling it bjj.

17. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

I really can't see yoga as a conspiracy to make you worship a different god. As a Christian surely you only believe there is one anyway?

If I followed a religion that made me worry about the consequences of Yoga...I'd think it was time to drop the religion, not the Yoga.

Come on Andrew, there are real things to worry about in this world. Yoga is not one of them.

What MA do you study out of interest???

18. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Disagree. There are yoga styles/schools that are almost purely physical. There are schools that are almost all meditation/prayer etc.

19. NinjaPlease

NinjaPlease Ninjas always say Please.

Just think of yoga as an exercise, not devil worship. :p

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Nonsense!