Alternative training methods...

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by innerchaos, Apr 17, 2004.

1. innerchaos

innerchaos New Member

i read that punching with wristweights or dumbells might hurt your elbow in long term also gravity actually makes your punches slower.What if i lie down and punch air 90 degrees with dumbells,so i can make gravity work for me.will it develop my punch strength and speed. :confused:

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Punching with weights will damage your elbow if you don't hit something, it is a hyper extension because there is more momentum.

If you want to wear wrist weights make sure there is a heavy bag in front of you.

Oh, and don't lie on the floor and punch air.

First your form is all buggered up, and really that is the key to speed.

Second same problem as before. If you want to develop strength like that try clap push ups instead.

3. acrawford

acrawford Ki-Ken-Tai no Ichi

Actually it will screw up your elbow and your shoulder, if you actually punch.

This will help with speed and musle tone, but damage you long term.

Try this instead. Use the weights but make your movements slow and controled. It will build musle and make you faster.

4. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

Plenty of bag work will improve your power ,an idea to improve speed is instead of executing your jabs /xross ectect is just to point ur index finger out similar to your jabs ectect ,this is done either stationary breaking the techinique down in the air or shadow sparring ,this will enhance your body mechanics / balance & speed,hope this is what you were looking for