Almost Done!

Discussion in 'Celebrations!' started by Mangosteen, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I handed in my dissertation/final research project yesterday!
    No chance of it getting published but I'll be graduating in 2 months!

You're all not invited!

I'm just wondering what to do now. I've started job applications but i have 2 months free!

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Congratulations! Enjoy the break, it's one of the few times in your life when you'll have pure free time with no expectation that you'll be doing anything.

Drink cocktails.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations! Do what Moosey says, do lots of training, go on holiday, enjoy not having to get up in the mornings or be anywhere specific.

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Get a job you work shy, bone idle.... ;)

What's your dissertation about?

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Also, start getting depressed about entering the real world and all the crappiness that is going to involve - stay in academia, it's much more fun! ;) :)

6. Bozza Bostik

Thinking about taking that up myself. Feel way to old to go back to uni though. :eek:

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I first went to Uni at age 54 - got a B.Sc. - next year (when I'm going to be 62) I may do a Masters... Age is NOT a limitation for learning...

8. Bozza Bostik

True but age has had a big impact on my patience.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I can only imagine how this must have felt for you. Not because you're old and at uni, but because of all the younguns who don't know much about life. I felt that way when I started back up at 25 (still a youngun!)! I can only imagine starting at 54!

I had to sit through an entire class listening to comparisons between high schools and how one high school had a more "gangster culture" than other.

I also got asked what I wanted to be when I grew up in one course by a professor. I look like a 40 yr old. I've been asked if my wife was an adopted child before by a cashier. :confused:

I'm sure you'll do fine though Ms. Sunshine, fine little thing that you are. ;D

10. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Get a job

or take a year or 2 out to recharge..

or re enroll to do another course ...

well done

Smurf

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Get a job you lazy bum!

12. Mangosteen

i want money so a job it is.

My dissertation was looking at the effects of increased intensity during part of a football match on sprint times during the rest of it.

i cant go more in detail than that until its been marked so i dont get done for plagiarising by the software that scans online.

it was pretty interesting considering over 3 years of my degree was physiology but i got to apply the scientific methods to some real world applications stuff and look at performance analysis statistics which is useful outside of biology and sport.

I'm going to a concert tomorrow (Rakaa, the host of the Eddie-Royler match at Metmoris is rapping).

i'd like to eventually work in the NHS i guess so looking at career paths down that way

13. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Congratulations, Zaad!

14. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Congrats man!

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Work on your masters application.

A 1:1 at bachelor level is fast becoming the minimum just to get shortlisted for the interview stage.

Hell, even I'm thinking about doing a second one.

16. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Well done Zaad! All the best for your future career.

Nice one.

Dan

17. Mangosteen

yeah i know. with graduate jobs, this seems to be the case.
    but i cant afford a masters anytime soon

18. philosoraptor

Zaad are you in the US or UK? I know there are a lot of programs that will pay you to attend school, I'm not sure if that's true for sports medicine though...

19. Mangosteen

im in the UK. i dont want to do sports medicine.
    I'd like to do systems biology/biostats and later complex systems.

20. philosoraptor

Yeah, I'd think if you played your cards right and have a good resume, you'd get paid to get a masters in that. Just firing from the hip though and it might mean moving over here to the evil empire.

Edit: Also getting a couple certifications in relevant computer languages/stats software will REALLY help those applications.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014