All you fit guys - Sonshu needs your help

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Sonshu, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Right

I need a new work out - I am 5'10 - 5'11
    205 lbs in weight and pretty strong.

I am looking to tone up rather than get bigger as I am fairly well build. I have a routene I used to use when in London training but now I am back in Ipswich - I have a well stocked gym and setting aside a 3 time a week routene - also has a pool as well.

Please help.

2. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

you wanna drop your bf percentage?

3. Sonshu

More fittness cardio and as a by product reduce the body fat.

4. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

try HIIT and to be honest you'll loose body fat quickest and safest by dieting

5. Sonshu

Not by diets - I would rather work it off as it affords more benefits

6. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

::Throwing a 1-pound pink dumbbell at Sonshu:: Oh, sorry, what was your question? ;)

Could you restate your question without using the ambiguous "t" word? Are you just looking for a program to burn fat, and not put on more size? Or just improve your endurance for training (fitness cardio?!?)? Also, what did your last routine look like? Last question, do you have medicine balls, and if so, how heavy?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  7. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

sonshu all im saying is that by just doing cardio wont get you a 6 pack, your choice

8. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I'd like to think I'm in pretty good shape. All I do is run, hit the heavy bag, lift weights and play soccer. Since I'm off school, I do those things a lot more. It keeps the body fat down and cardio up.

And where in his posts did he mention a six pack.

If Sonshu wants a six pack, all he has to do is meet Scarlet at the bar :D

9. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

A common mistake people make is to think they can work off their bodyfat while maintiaining their poor diets (not saying anything about your diet).

What you should do, is use a good HIIT and strength program. And on top of that you should eat healthy foods, and avoid bad ones. Make an effort to permanitly change your dietary habits, and then you dont have to call it a "diet". You'll lose fat AND gain muscle. :woo:

10. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

I've had good results in the past with swimming, because it works your stabilizers during cardio. That helps reduce fat and increase definition while not adding bulk.

11. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The Tabata method's great for cardio and endurance - you can apply it to anything from weights to bagwork. Just make sure you've got plenty of floorspace to fall down on :D
    Here's the T-Nation article

12. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

loosing fat and gaining muscle is extremely hard and the gains are extremely poor, its better to bulk and cut

13. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I agree nForce, unless you are a beginner - in which case both will be easy.

14. Sonshu

Old routene was as follows:

Monday - Tri's, Bi's & shoulders

Always start with 10 mins cross trainer
    5 mins bike

Then
    Doing low weight 2-4 kgs dumbel hammers 4 sets of 10
    Doing curls (Barbell) 20 kgs 4 sets of 12
    Doing wide span push ups 3 set of 30
    Doing curls on machine 4 sets of 12 14 kgs
    4 x 10 inverted sit ups on bench throwing jab cross combos with 2kgs weight in hands
    3 x 20 kgs chest press "chair" type machine

Wednesday Tone / Shape

25 mins cross trainer
    10 mins bike
    Light weights on chest press and arms
    30 lengths in short pool

Thursday

An ad hoc session covering more sit ups and a mix of monday and Wed sessions.

As you can see no heavy weights at all and no bag work etc as I do a enought sparring and this is addition to my training. There was some others that escape me but this was the majority of it.

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I think he wants to look good for the beach this summer ;)

16. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

He used the t word again...:)

On topic: Those Tabata things sound interesting, anyone do them? And how effective are they?(Beyond making you puke :D )

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  17. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I'm curious-what days are your MA training and how long is each class and what is the intensity level?

Are you looking for 3 days of weights plus some cardio activity or 3 days of weight with that including cardio activity?

By the way, don't think of it as a diet...think of it as choosing healthy food choices.

18. Sonshu

Training is Monday (4 hours worth - mostly sub grappling sparring) heavy intensity and some technical stuff - light intensity

Wed - Mixed intensity - sparring standup and ground + technical stuff - 2 hours

Some Sundays - mostly 2 hours sparring

As for the T word I know if its TONE its pretty obvious what it means. - what you refering to, for clarification I am looking to shape up and gain definitation mostly on mid rift area.

19. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

We tend to avoid the "t" word (lowercase only, because it's not as important as the "T" of Testosterone!!) because it can be vague, and open to misinterpretation. The more accurately we aim our goals, the more likely they'll connect. Like a nice roundhouse kick. So, let's agree that we're trying to increase muscle definition by reducing bodyfat, a common goal, not at alll unreachable.

We need to go into it knowing that there is no "ab shredding routine" or "ab diet". Fat is an all-over or nothing deal. You can't dictate what gets burned when.

With that said, I'd go for a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday schedule, if that can work for you, so as not to interfere with the training. Since you already have 8 hours a week of sparring, I don't really want to do any specific cardio, for fear of overtraining. The key will be cleaning up the nutrition, and getting the right strength training program.

I'd recommend something like:
    Tues
    Flat Bench Press 10x3
    Squat 4x6
    "Generic Weighted Ab Crunching Exercise" 4x6

Thursday
    Deadlift 10x3
    Barbell Row 4x6
    "Generic Weighted Ab Twisting/rotating Exercise" 4x6

Saturday
    Push Press 10x3
    Pull-up 4x6
    "Gratuitous Bicep Exercise" 3x8
    "Gratuitous Tricep Exercise" 3x8

There are tons of sources for great nutrition plans and ideas. www.johnberardi.com is one of my favorites. Hope this helped some. Let me know if anything doesn't make sense (anyone).

20. martial-athlete

martial-athlete New Member

Hey,

I would recommend looking into training the movemnts not the muscles. In other words, take the foundational lifts of deadlifts, squats, olympic lifts etc and become skilled at them. Learn to do these movemnets and you technical skill will improve also.

keep in mind your rep range also
    1-5 strength
    6-8 strength and some size
    9-12 predominatly size increase

cheers