ALL of the traps (trapping) (list)

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Hazmatac, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Hi. I know a couple of traps but am wondering if anyone can expand my list. The main one that I know is stepping to the outside as you push that side's hand down, you strike with your opposite hand. Can you expand the list?

2. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Foung Sou - this is described in my school as a "sweeping guard" technique. Mechanically it's more of a thrust towards the opponents face/centreline from the outside. In effect you push through their guard, or you could use it to defend against a straight attack. Once you're in you can bring your hand down to drag their arm or what have you.

3. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Heraclius, is that basically like a punch to the face through the guard, like aiming directly at the hand in guard?

4. Heraclius

I'm not sure if you're saying those are the same or different? You shouldn't be aiming at the hand though. I think of it as "dominating" the centreline, forcing their punch/guard out of the way. It should end covering the opponent's face, although since it's done with an open hand I wouldn't really want to hit them! I would say it's most similar to "punch to the face through the guard", although your hand shouldn't be travelling straight forward when you do it. I'm still having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around this one, in case you couldn't tell :p.

5. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

They are the same. I'm still not getting what you are saying though. Maybe will have to do a search for it, I am just having trouble conceptualizing it.

6. Heraclius

Heh, yeah it took me months to figure out how I was meant to do it. I'm still not sure if I have it right. It's a bit of a strange movement. Sorry I can't really be more help right now.

Edit: Actually, if you've ever seen the HBO series Rome, it kind of looks like the salute they give. If you can imagine how that works.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Why do you need a list? If you don't know how to trap the names are meaningless and even if you do the terms will vary from style to style and from system to system so much that you will end up with ten names for the same move

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

you use any given part of your body, usually a palm, to prevent any other given part of the opponent's body, usually an arm, from moving. don't think there are any others? :p

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Stand on his toe/foot? :)

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Sneak up to his house at night and inject epoxy around all his door and window frames. He'll be pretty well trapped.

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

When I looked through the main page thing of MAP I saw "All of the traps...". for some reason i thought it was a new internet MA related meme (is that the right word youngsters?)...All of the traps are belong to us.

Dunno why I thought of that or even why I am wasting my time and yours by writing this but ask a silly question. ;)

12. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

So is anybody besides Heraclius and (partially) Fish Of Doom going to answer the question?

13. Fish Of Doom

on a more serious and on topic note, the reason why people are not answering your question (and why i answered vaguely) is because you're looking at things in a way that is entirely too specific in relation to the subject matter of the question. trapping is simply preventing a body part from moving (hence the name). technically you could even trap with your head if you wanted to. thus, the approach you're taking with your question, asking about specific set techniques for trapping, is inherently somewhat flawed from a practical standpoint, because you risk overfocusing on fixed ways to move and not simply on doing what needs to be done. a punch is a punch is a punch, a kick is a kick is a kick, a trap is a trap IT'S A TRAP! (#admiralackbar)

14. Fish Of Doom

you can on the other hand look at individual techniques that can be used for trapping, but that'd just leave you with an interminable list of pretty much every hand/forearm/elbow technique there is, and probably a fair amount with other body parts :p

15. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

While there may be an infinite amount of trapping ideas, there are also a HUGE amount of hand strikes, and ways you can kick, ways you can throw, etc. There is still a better way to throw a punch then other ways, there are ways to kick more powerfully then others, and: there are more effective and solid ways of trapping people then other ways.

That is what I want to find, hopefully from direct experience. I am looking for effective traps to expand my trapping horizon. There is no need to reinvent the wheel if the wheel is already available on MAP, but it seems like it may not be provided...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  16. Fish Of Doom

well, see, there are those among us, myself included, who will opine that there really aren't that many ways, in fact, but rather, if anything, simply variations in the formal way to train something that is ultimately the same thing, that may or may not be properly understood and trainsmitted, in the latter case leading to mutation over time that makes it seem as if there are a thousand methods, when in fact it's just the same thing that got changed over and over again until it's not implicitly associated with its origin. i get your point, though, but i would phrase your question differently in light of that. if i were you, instead of asking for a list of trapping techniques, i'd ask for trapping methods (or principles, or strategies, or whatever your favourite term is), and then see how they can be applied with the techniques your style teaches (which may in some cases give you insight as to why a given technique is done the way it's done, which is not always apparent just from the motion itself).

17. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

gom jabbar. ask a bene gesseritt. :google:

and by the way, you can have all the thousand techniques of aikido/ daito ryu but without the principles of aiki, they're pretty damn useless.

same with trapping.

18. Fish Of Doom

are you suggesting the duke's son is an animal? :p

19. aka The Clerk

aka The Clerk Valued Member

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

20. Fish Of Doom

and when it has gone past, i will turn the inner eye to see its path. where the fear has gone, there will be nothing. only i will remain.

#amusingthreaddrift #misremembersthelitanyallthetime

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014