All in?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xanth, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Ok, who's "all in" for their religion. I mean to say, who's believes everything 100% from start to finish. Is there some things you are willing to look over, because your religion mostly fits your beliefs?

I'm not all in for any one religion, I like parts of Christianity, Mormonism, Buddhism etc. But I've yet to find the one religion that fits my personal beliefs.

Here's a few examples of what I have a hard time with...
    Christianity, I can believe that god created man...simple enough, but he sure as heck didn't do it 6000 years ago, and certainly not in the form we are today. I can't deny the science of evolution or the fossil record.

Mormonism, I really like that everyone goes to heaven... I don't believe in hell either. I also like that this religion accounts for the fact that life most likely exists on other planets as well. The part I have trouble with is that the golden plates were not in English. God spoke to moses, mary, noah, and countless others I'm sure I don't the names of. If he can, and I do believe he can... speak any language, why leave the plates in an angelic language that had to be interpreted through scrying?

Buddhism, I'm fine with reincarnation, honestly the thought of only one try at human life followed by eternity elsewhere seems little one sided. But if you base someone's "score" on how they physically fit into one of the 32 signs, which are based on a person who was born defective...well, that's seems a bit on the.... not so mart side.

I'm not knocking any religions, or at least trying not to...I've always been fascinated by religion and how people see the world/universe/life etc.

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

...That's not the part about the plates I would have questioned myself, but that's actually not a bad point. If I recall correctly though, God spoke to Moroni who inscribed them, then hid them for Joseph Mormon to find many, many years later. I suppose the argument would go that Moroni didn't speak the same language Joseph Mormon did, thus asking Moroni to transcribe them in a foreign language might not have been appropriate.

Of course the counter argument would be "But he's God", but you know.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Come on, that is *NOT* a necessary part of the religion. Look at Roman Catholic, Eastern Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Coptic -- and I'm sure a few more.

Also not a necessary part of the religion.
    For that matter, rebirth isn't even pushed in Zen.

4. panderso

panderso Valued Member

Your question doesn't really make sense, mostly because few religions, if any, are quite so black and white as what you're asking.

I am 100% all in as a Christian—but there are plenty of areas where I'm still figuring things out, areas where I disagree with other Christians, and areas where I'm content to not know the truth until God deems it worth revealing.

Religions aren't so much a set-in-stone list of beliefs or tenets that followers adhere to; rather, they are traditions of ongoing conversations that constantly change and adapt according to generation, culture, the needs of society, scientific discovery, interpretation of scripture, and personal experience.

I know a number of Christians who would consider themselves all in in for their faith, but would disagree about almost all of it. From what I can tell, most other religions have the same thing.