All American Steve

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by tkd GU, Feb 13, 2012.

1. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Yeah, now I've got one too.

Started the morning with a 3 mile cruise on my mountain bike to my girlfriend's house. Followed that with carrying two pickle jars full of water about 30 meters 7 times to water the garden I planted there. Cruised the 3 miles back home on the bicycle and ate frozen whole grain waffles with plain yogurt and frozen strawberries topped with a little bit of honey.

At about 10am I did dynamic stretches as described in Van Zandt's stretching guide as a warm up before doing my pushup/situp routine that goes as follows:

12 regular pushups
    12 regular situps
    12 wide pushups
    12 elbow to opposite knee situps
    12 diamond pushups
    12 v-ups

After two sets of that I did 30 seconds of what I'll call elbow plank in middle position, side position, middle again, other side, and once more in the middle. Followed that with a little bit of upper body stretches, a cold shower, and a little oatmeal with milk for a snack.

Since I eat lunch and and dinner with the family it will most likely be something not ideal for my fitness program but that's ok because I'm already at a healthy weight and body fat percentage.

Oh and before bed I plan to do some gentle relaxed stretches.

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Welcome to the cool club :D

3. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Welcome to the training logs, good luck!

4. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

2/14

I don't think I need to include dynamic stretching because I've already been doing that every morning for a couple weeks already.

3 mile run in 21:45 followed by breakfast of left over chicken vegetable stir fry.
    Ended up eating pizza for lunch.
    Had planned to do some leg strengthening and stretches later but ended up busy until I got home with just enough time to eat dinner (teryaki steak with brown rice) and go to bed.

2/15

3 mile run in 22:35 (windy this morning and I just didn't feel like pushing as hard) followed immediately by a glass of vanilla soy milk(as usual)
    Runny eggs and brown rice topped with bragg's liquid aminos and tabasco sauce for breakfast.
    Planning to do some poomse and some strength exercises later.

5. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

2/15 cont.
    never ended up doing poomse or strength exercises. Stuff always ends up getting in the way of my evening sessions. I had some peanut butter and banana sandwiches for lunch and bbq pork steak with potato and onion for dinner. Throughout the day I probably ate a totally of 6 of those tiny little bananas that you're probably not familiar with unless you've visited a tropical area(the skins are too thin so they'd be black and ugly by the time they arrived in the ports).

2/16

3 mile run in 22:20
    Only enough soy milk for half a glass so I just filled it the rest of the way with cow's milk and added ovaltine.
    Same breakfast as yesterday but cooked with butter instead of grape seed oil.
    To avoid missing my second session I'm just going to go ahead and work out as soon as my meal settles. The plan is as follows:

The pushup routine but 3 sets of 10 instead of 2 of 12.. and probably some hindu pushups and squats followed by maybe some bridge walks, then the plank drill and finish off yoga-type leg stretching. If something doesn't come up I plan on doing poomse later in the day.

6. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

2/16 cont.

After I gave my breakfast a good hour and a half to settle I danced around and did knee lifts to get my heart rate up and began the session with 3 sets of ten reps each exercise of the situp/pushup drill.
    Next, 50 lunges,
    50 hindu squats,
    about 30 feet of bridge walking,
    a set of 10 hindu pushups,
    15 more after pacing around for a minute,
    20 more feet of bridge walking
    15 hindu pushups, break,
    10 hindu pushups
    plank drill
    stretching(upper and lower body)

My diet for the rest of the day consisted of a lot of meat, sweet potato and russet, some chili, brown rice, more meat, and a salad.... and a generous helping of beer.

2/17
    Rest day!
    Coffee and cheese omelette for breakfast.

I unexpectedly landed a job that may or not be temporary and worked three hours past my normal bed time. A couple hours into working I was already feeling the effects of my workout. I now have significant but not extreme soreness in my front thighs, buttocks, shoulders, triceps, chest. Of all the targeted areas, my chest is minimally sore and abdominal soreness is barely perceptible. most sore are my legs and butt and especially my triceps when I flex them. I guess that means a need to figure out better exercises for my mid-section and a little more work for my chest. The other exercises seem to be doing the job. Hopefully the late-night working and disruption of sleep pattern doesn't hinder my recovery too much.

7. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

I'm now working from 12 am to 6 am and this transition to night wakeness is putting noticeable stress on my body and mind. I felt a little better today when I got home than the first two days so I took an easy bicycle cruise about 7 miles. After the ride I decided to do some dynamic stretching and by the time I was done with that I felt great. Then I did some air kicking and punches in front of the mirror. I was feeling very much alive and awake and decided I would like to mow the grass. Before I opened the shed I realized that I was really friggin tired so I took a shower, brushed my teeth and went to bed.

Since I started working I've started drinking coffee again and so far I've only eaten fast food during meal break. I think tonight I'll switch to oolong tea and pack a lunch for tonight.

8. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

I haven't done a whole lot since my last entry. This work stuff sucks. It's a temp job getting some stores ready for their grand opening. They are trying to get a lot done fast so we're working crazy hours. I haven't had much time or energy to do much of anything besides eat and sleep. Since my last entry I took another easy 7 mile bike ride and a 3 mile run without timing it. I'm about to start cutting grass, which is a real task on this property, so I might put off training for another day unless a miracle happens and I don't feel drained when the grass is done. The worst thing that could happen is I get done with the grass and then get called in to work again... ughh

9. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

2/23 cont.
    Did the push up/sit up drill 10 reps of each exercise for 3 sets
    plank drill

2/24
    never got around to any training except an incomplete dynamic stretching session

2/25
    9 mile bike at a good tiring pace
    immediately followed by 30 minutes of ocean swimming (free style w/snorkel)
    9 mile bike ride back home

planning some taekwondo specific training today after breakfast settles.

10. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

2/26
    morning:
    dynamic stretching followed by 30 minutes speed paddle kicking

afternoon:
    10 minutes jogging
    4 sprints about 70 yards each with less than 30 seconds rest in between
    5 minutes jogging
    15 minutes ocean swimming with goggles (ditched the snorkel this time)

2/27
    rest :)

2/28
    5 mile run. time unknown- so called 30 meter water resistant watch was ruined in the ocean

Sunday's kicking and sprinting left me a little sore all the way up to today. I need to be careful to count my reps and use consistent technique with the kicking because one side of my body was significantly more sore than the other. Had trouble with left high roundhouse kicks but surprisingly my left spin back kicks felt great.

11. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

2/29
    rest

3/1

5 mile run in 39:56
    pushup/situp routine 10 reps each exercise 3 sets
    plank drill

3/2
    rest

soreness in legs finally gone. now feeling soreness in chest from pushups. need work on arms, shoulder and core. planning dips, pullups & chin ups + biking and swimming tomorrow. Noticing hips shifted a little to the left. Must take care to straighten posture.

12. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

straight leg raises also on agenda for tomorrow.

13. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

3/3

18 miles biking
    30 minutes swimming

3/4
    rest

14. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

3/5
    rest

3/6
    50 hindu squats
    50 lunges

3/7
    20 minutes easy cruising on bike
    10 minutes fairly intense mountain biking

4 sets of 321(3 secs down, 2 holding down position, burst back up) pushups 10 reps
    3 sets of 321 sit ups, mix of regular and sideways
    2 sets of pullups, 5 reps

3/8
    3 sets of pullups, stretched throughout the day

3/9
    30 minutes kicking
    set of 65 situps
    plank exercise
    5 minutes of yoga

15 minutes easy swimming

5 mile run in 39 minutes

about 4 sets of 5 pullups throughout day

notes:
    Now doing dynamic stretches more frequently, plus static stretches before bed. My flexibility does seem to be improving. Just got a heart rate monitor watch. Very fun but I don't trust it in the water, just broke a so called water resistant watch swimming recently.

15. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

It's been too long since my last entry to properly recall the details of my workouts, so here are some highlights.

1.5 mile run in 6:39 after 60 pushups and 60 situps, with 6 pullups after the run (This could be considered my benchmark test for basic training in the US Air Force) Less than 100% of the push ups were perfect but I'm working on that. I discovered that pullups on an actual pullup bar are way easier than doing them on 4 x 8 inch beam.

The other night my 5 mile run included a timed 2nd mile at a little over 6 minutes. I didn't pay attention to the time I got for the total run because of focus on the single mile. I'm curious to see my times on a totally flat course on a windless day.

Before the day is over I plan on doing the multi-style pushup/situp routine followed by some squats and lunges and maybe some yoga. If all goes according to plan I'll be reporting tonight.

Peace

16. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

3/27

3 sets of pushup/situp routine first set 15 reps, 2nd 20, 3rd 25
    dynamic stretches
    1.5 miles in about 10:30
    7 pullups
    1 mile in about 7 minutes
    7 pullups
    1 mile in 7
    8 pullups
    1.5 in about 10:30
    10 minutes walking
    static stretching

3/26
    rest

3/25

same workout as 3/27 minus pushups and situps, plus 50 lunges, 50 hindu squats, set of 20 push ups and set of 30 with focus on proper technique.

3/24
    track work
    cruise on bicycle 1.5 miles to track
    2 laps jog, dynamic stretches, and traditional track warm up exercises(high knees, butt kicks, koraoke)
    6x800 reapeats at 1:25 with 400m jog between laps for recovery.
    2 laps jog, 1.5 mile cruise home, static stretching

3/23
    incomplete dynamic stretches
    4 mile run untimed
    minimal static stretches