Aikido in Austin

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by coc716, Jul 30, 2010.

1. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Hello.

After spending the past some years studying other arts, I'm now thinking about studying Aikido. I'm far from making a final decision, but part of my research is looking at the schools in my town, Austin, Texas (and surrounding communities within reasonable driving distance).

Yes, I do intend to visit schools, watch classes, participate if possible, talk with the instructors, talk with other students... but that gives only so much insight. I wanted to ask here on MAP if there were any other Austin-based Aikidoka that could provide opinion, insight, and experiences with schools and instructors in town. I'm seeking not just positive information, but negative as well... I'd rather not settle on a school only to find out 3-6 months later that there are problems. I'm not looking for trouble, just honest information.

As I've been doing my preliminary research into Aikido, I find myself drawn more to the "old school" flavor. That which is closer to aiki-jujutsu, like what I've seen in videos of Shioda Gozo. While I'm fine with "art" and "way", to me the important thing is "martial". I'd prefer a school that's more about the martial in terms of style/flavor, how they teach, how they practice. If folks know of Austin-based schools more along this line, that'd be welcome to know

Thank you for reading, and helping if you can. :hat: