Aikido an insight

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Polar Bear, Apr 7, 2009.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

My reference to square on was a common mistake shown on youtube videos. I have every confidence that Tommo has taught you well.

Having entered triangularly..it is the attacker who is caused to spin circle or spiral around the aikidoka NOT THE OPPOSITE as is often seen. This puts the lie to the often large circular motions made by the aikidoka.

The circles may be seen in the attacker's ukemi BUT the aikidoka moves triangularly.

regards koyo

shinkei

As you say..NEVER attempt to throw or pin someone who has not been unbalanced properly first..hence the importance of the study of kuzushi.As for those who "make up" their own sword techniques...not only foolish but bloody dangerous.

Below the triangle is in the aikidoka the circle is in the attacker (ukemi) and the technique is completed "square" meaning balanced.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Thanks for sharing the videos. :cool:

Excellent stuff!!!

3. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

I knew you would put it better than I could. Thanks:cool:
    That is all I meant when I said that the other video :bang:(fruity Aikido) did not demonstrate any of these principles.

4. koyo

I see you are still banging your head against that wall!!:) Time to move on and let the examples that dismay you cause you to train all the harder.:)

Last night a fellow watched the training and asked what sylabbus we used.
    I told him tonight we are studying how to get close to the attacker without getting hit and unbalance them on the instant of contact.

Once unbalanced whatever "technique" applied was the one to use.

There is no syllabus..only principles.So ALL night was irrimi and kuzushi.

Basically I shall show a principle and say study/find this (always against a strong attack)
    If more teachers used this approach basics we would be more effective in the art.

regards koyo

irrimi and kuzushi

Attached Files:

5. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

Nice! But Koyo, did no-one ever tell you there are no atemi in Aikido? :evil:

My instructor said Chiba would gently "remind" uke to keep their guard up with a punch to the face...not malicious or excessive just enough to keep you focussed.

6. koyo

Ha Ha...One seminar Chiba shihan bopped a guy around the head a number of times. The fellow was swaying around quite dizzy....

Chiba shihan came over to me and said "Why doesn't he defend his head??????"

"Why don't you TELL him????" immediately lept into my head.

Of course I simply kept my mouth shut remembering other words from Chiba shihan..."I don't have time so I MAKE my students learn."

Another time he cracked Bill Noble right on the skull and stopped the class while shaking his hand.he had hurt his little finger. "Defend your heads!!" he growled.

Bill slumped down beside me and murmered "Did I get him???"

regards koyo

On kuzushi. There two main applications YOU can strike or cut him into a weakpoint..or you can stride into his weakpoint and throw/pin him from there. below Chiba shihan has moved into my weakpoint and is about to execute koshi shiho nage (hip throw "in any direction")

You DO NOT want to know what it feels like to hit the mat from this one!!

Attached Files:

7. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

Not wanting to sidetrack the thread, but I do love these stories. They also make me 50/50 glad/sad that I wasn't around then!

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I've lost count of the number of Makotokai guys who have punched me in the face but you do learn to protect it ... eventually.

The Bear.

9. koyo

This on behalf of Chris...

What do you expect when your idea of martial arts is to CRUSH your enemies!!!!!!

Hazel sends her love.:evil:

regards koyo

Chris has had a few knocks too....Ara waza severe techniques not shown on video.

Attached Files:

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

It's not my fault they made the world out of cardboard and squishies. :D

The Bear.

11. koyo

They do not distract from the thread. They simply illustrate that hard training can go hand in hand with humour and fond memories.

So just for you....

I have never seen Chiba shihan intimidated BUT there was one person who would constantly confuse him..The redoubtable Mrs Noble.

Chiba shihan was just learning english and had to contend with the scottish accents. Mrs Noble asked if it would be easier if we spoke Japanese.

Chiba shihan said yes but it is a difficult language to learn.

This all time classic from Mrs Noble..to Chiba shihan "Where did you learn to speak Japanese???"

Anther time an aikibunny type who had NOT come on the mat mentioned that we had been striking (no atemi in aikido syndrom) and asked Chiba shihan "When is the best time to strike someone."

Instant answer "WHEN HE IS TALKING" followed by awkward silence.

regards koyo

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the women!!!" :evil:

13. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

I wasn't able to watch the streaming vids on youtube because youtube doesn't like my laptop at the moment. :( However I downloaded them and shall watch them soon. Thanks in advance to Bear and koyo for putting them up, maybe they'll counteract the aikibunny vids that seem so prevalent these days. :)

14. Goodkat

Goodkat Valued Member

Wow that's really impressive, I've never seen a weapon demonstration like that before.

Koyo, do you mind if I ask you what degree black belt you are, and at what age you started training?

Thanks

15. koyo

I have been training fifty years. started when I was 19 in judo. We don't have grades in makotokai just black and white.

No politics no personalities no grades just aikido pure and simple.

regards koyo

we are ALL still learning otherwise what is the point.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  16. Goodkat

Goodkat Valued Member

Wow, that's seriously impressive. I'd be very happy if I could move around like that after training for 50 years (or now for that matter:hat:). How long have you been training aikido? and did you switch to aikido from judo, or train both?

Thanks

17. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Koyo i have a question to if you dont mind. What other arts did you study that also have had there effect on your aikido style. The movies where most impressing i hope i have half the vitality and energy that you have when i reach that age.

p.s. i know its not the age, its the milage ;)

18. koyo

Main art aikido 1959 and still training. Cross trained in most japanese arts.

The thread IS about aikido not me..but thanks for your interest.

best wishes koyo

19. koyo

I began training in judo and what jujutsu was available. Most of the early aikidoka were judoka so we were NOT about to give up our balance easily so the training was pragmatic and effective from the word go.

I was always interested in the sword and studied karate and kendo but had problems wearing the men (mask) claustrophobic.

I studied aiki ken under Chiba shihan who was the first to introduce it to Britain. When Chiba shihan left I followed Saito shihan master of aikido and aiki ken/jo .

I have gained a lot of knowledge from exchanges with kendoka the principles being identical (as are most principles of all arts) to the major principles of aikido.

I would recommend judo as a base art for any martial artist.

regards koyo

20. koyo

BASICS BASICS BASICS

How often it is said ..when in doubt return to basics. This presents a problem to those who immediately start training in techniques before mastering basics.

The first principle of any martial art is DO NOT GET HIT. This demands two things..that the HIT presents a sense of danger and must be acurate and sincere.It may be slowed down a little to allow the beginner to begin to learn the second principle (remember the first!!) and that is body alingment and evasion.

Saito shihan said flowing techniques should not be attempted until 3rd dan. That the triangular entry and execution MUST be mastered from SOLID BASIC training.

If a beginner can learn to avoid a powerfull attack and begin to learn to unbalance the attacker..this is far more valuable than the "ability" to blindly follow instruction in techniques with a compliant uke.

Mastery of the BASICS of body alignment and unbalancing shall reveal any number of techniques. "Mastery" of techniques even after years of training with a compliant partner shall result in nothing at all.

regards koyo

below don't get hit and unbalance. I have used a sword technique to illustrate this since an aikidoka shall not FIGHT the attacker heshall fence him armed or unarmed. The ura entry shall be immediately recognisable as the entry for kote gaeshe. Note I DO NOT spin around the attacker.

Attached Files:

• ura.gif
      ura.gif
      File size:
      27.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009