Aiki interest in NC?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Jason Brinn, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Jason Brinn

Jason Brinn New Member

Hello,

I am curious to find people interested in or already practicing "aiki" in NC. Anyone out there/here?

2. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

For those of us not in the UK, is NC North Calgary? (That is just what pops into my head, I'm not sure why.)

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

He's American, he meant North Carolina (it's on his profile).

4. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Ah, sorry. Any particular area of NC? How far are you willing to travel?
    I don't know any places in particular, unfortunately, but if anyone else does it would probably help to know the locality you are looking in.

5. Jason Brinn

Jason Brinn New Member

Sorry everyone,

I meant to post that I am looking for people interested in "aiki" in North Carolina, United States

6. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Out of curiosity, where in NC are you? Im in Wrightsville Beach/Wilmington right now.

7. Jason Brinn

Jason Brinn New Member

Well, I travel throughout NC but the "aiki" group is mostly centered in Raleigh, North Carolina. I have a friend in Wilmington right now, BJJ Professor over from Rio doing seminars. What art do you train?

8. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

I train with a friend who is a Gracie brown belt. . I have a background in kali, Bujinkan, and various other arts. Is your friend female? Only asking because at Elite Ju Jitsu here in Wilmington, they recently had a seminar with a Professor from Rio... assumed it was the same person. Charuto (BJ Penn's coach) lives here at the beach and teaches at Evolution Martial Arts academy also..

9. Jason Brinn

Jason Brinn New Member

No, my BJJ friend is Gilson Fernandes (4th Carlson Gracie). We have a few Bujinkan guys in the "aiki" group actually although I am not one of them. This is a really special and unique group. The group is non-profit and a club so everyone trains where they are and we get together for seminars to train under an instructor we bring in from New Jersey. Friend me on Facebook and I can invite you to our private Facebook group for the "aiki club if you are interested: Link removed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2018
  10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Sorry but we don't allow links back to personal sites.

11. Jason Brinn

Jason Brinn New Member

It was simply my facebook page???

I guess let's try the private Facebook group page then: Link removed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2018
  12. Simon

Jason, we don't allow links back to personal sites, be they your own, or your school sites.

If you want to promote your class/school, then please contact Mitch or myself to discuss commercial advertising.

13. Jason Brinn

Jason Brinn New Member

How does this fall under commercial advertising when it is a non-profit martial arts gathering for the studying of martial arts? I am not trying to be argumentative but neither am I trying to make money. If we can't share with each other events that we have then this place is just to come online and talk? Looking at the MAP Facebook Group link in your signature there are more than a few "commercial advertisements" so is this something to past there and then link to it here?

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm really not a mod but I would imagine if you can prove through an independent third party that you run a non-profit org then maybe you could post a link.

General rule of thumb: If it's your own personal site you can't post it, if you're posting enquiring about a school, you can post the link.

Also, in the signature you can post any personal links you like (assuming they are SFW). For instance I have my own blog in my signature.

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: It is simple really, the purpose of the policy is that if you are using MAP to direct traffic to your personal endeavor elsewhere, MAP expects to get some reimbursement. That reimbursement is used to cover the costs to keep MAP running, not for any profit. If you take a look at our Terms of Service, which may be found by clicking on the terms and rules button on the bottom of every page. You will see that the policy is not only about commercial advertising. If you use MAP for traffic elsewhere, you need to help cover the costs of keeping MAP running.

We do allow people to post links that support the purpose of a post- if they aren't getting personal gain by it. And personal gain is defined again by getting something out of it like directing traffic to their personal endeavors- even if not for profit.

Yes, the purpose of MAP is to just come online and talk about Martial arts.

Also, Pretty in Pink is partially correct. You can post a link in your signature. However, one must establish a posting history before doing so. The purpose of this is to ensure that it is a regular contributing member, not someone just using MAP to advertise. If you stick around and contribute, then you may do this after establishing yourself here. I personally have had to edit several new members in the last two days, who posted something inane and not fitting the thread, just so they could advertise their endeavor in their signature.

If you have further questions about the policy, please do not use this thread, as it disrupts the thread. Feel free to PM any moderator and we will be happy to answer said questions. :)

16. Simon

The links in my signature all promote MAP.

They are there to inform others that we have a Facebook page, an Instagram account, Twitter and so on.

MAP has to be paid for, so why should we then allow others to promote their own sites without a gain to MAP?

Supporting members have recently been allowed to advertise their clubs sin the relevant forum, so that option is open to you.

axelb likes this.