Ahn Sohn Mohk Soo #5

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by coc716, Jun 3, 2007.

1. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Seeing this video made me wonder.

How do YOU do ASMS #5?

The way it's done in the video and what textbook shows is the same. However, the way I was taught (or at least as I remember it), isn't done that way. Instead, you're reaching for not just their shoulder but actually to grab shirt or collar, then you slide in and perform a hip throw. It may be a variation, it may be a safer version, it may be that I learned and/or remember wrong. I've actually been out of the dojang for a little while due to travel and won't be back in for a few days, else I'd first be asking my SBN for clarification. It just hit me now, and I figured I'd ask before I forgot. :D

But I'm curious how y'all do it... especially to see how old school folks vs. new school vs. US vs. UK and so on... in case there may be some difference in how things were taught.

2. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I do it sort of like what the book does, but it looks more like too ki #10. I think thats just because of my body dtyle and the way I move. Remeber everyones techniques aren't supposed to look alike, similar yes, but since our bodies arent carbon copies of each other, are techniquesforms shouldnt be either

3. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

I saw that video and before that I had never seen ASMS 5 end in anything other than a break. I might try this with my partner.

4. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Oh sure. But my point is that it seems the way I was taught ASMS 5 was more like Too Ki 10... not just a slight variation, but a fundamentally different technique.

I know I'll need to ask about this when I next get to the dojang.

5. ember

ember Valued Member

How funny -- we were just watching the KSNs practice this exact technique yesterday morning.

I'd always done it to the elbow lock, and that was it, I didn't really know a fall or follow-up.

What PSBN was teaching the KSNs yesterday was to pivot and kneel, with the fall more like a front fall / face plant. I'd never seen that before.

6. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

What the follow up or the a faceplant. :D :D :D :D :D

7. Dubu

Dubu Valued Member

I was taught to lock the elbow, engage the pressure point in their right foot and take them down with a back break fall so it could be followed up with a finishing strike.

For the last demo and tournament my partner modified it a bit for some novelty entertainment. After the lock and I tapped she would throw me straight back into a back break fall where she would then (pretened to) axe kick me in my unmentionables.

I've never been so nervous in my life as practising that one technique with her.

8. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

I still think the one with the flip is better. Flips are way cooler.

9. JoKyoNimJey

JoKyoNimJey Valued Member

That sounds alot like how I was taught Joong Guep Sohn Mak Soo #5.....

10. JSun

JSun Valued Member

What if you slid your hand off of the shoulder after the arm lock and grabbed behind the clavical before pivoting and kneeling?

11. ember

ember Valued Member

I don't know. That sounds to me like it would be more of Ki Bohn Soo #11, and you'd lose the arm lock (potential break).

12. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Actually, I'm referring to behind the collarbone, not under the chin. You wouldn't have to lose the armlock, just slide the hand down and dig your fingers behind the clavicle. It's a slight adjustment. As a matter of fact, you could even initially grab there instead of on top of the shoulder if you wanted to.

13. ember

ember Valued Member

I see what you're saying for ASMS, that's an interesting thought.

As for under the chin, that's the left hand under the chin on Ki Bohn Soo #11. I was referring to the right hand, behind the neck.

Joong Mok Maga Ki Bohn Soo #11 puts more emphasis on the right hand behind the neck, I've had one instructor tell me for JMMKBS not to use the left hand, at least not on their head. Just bowl 'em over with the right.