Ahhhh i am damn skinny

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mr.88, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.88

Mr.88 New Member

Help me with my...

Skinniness. I am SKINNY. I was larger (although always quite skinny) but i started doing ab trainning and running and a few other exercises, and damn my waist has gone down. I almost have a sixpack and have a muscular body but its really skinny and bening 6"ish dosent help, just for help on the picture i weigh 119Ibs or 8 1/2 stone and my waist has gone from just about 28 to 26. So i was wondering is there anything i can do to stop me looking like a pencil i am only 15 so hopefully i will now start broadening instead of getting taller is this true? Please anything about this would be a help.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Most people would rather fit in your shoes but I understand that trying to gain weight can be just as difficult as trying to lose ... it is an adjustment that you have to make to your eating habits as well as your lifestyle. Diets do not work whether it is to gain or to lose.

Eat 6 roughly equal meals a day

Get 30g protein per meal. Use whey protein, tuna, chicken, milk, or other moderate quality sources.

Drink 1-2 gallons of water a day.

Eat roughly 20 times your bodyweight (in lbs) of calories per day.

If you are moderately lean to begin with, don't be afraid of putting on a little bit of fat. Attempting to limit the amount of fat that you put on will almost certainly guarantee a slower rate of muscle increase. Fat can generally be dieted off at a later stage easily.

Would you believe a cheap weight-gainer is chocolate milk. It has about 180 Cal per serving, with enough fat content to dampen the resulting blood-glucose peak from the high sugar content.

If you're going to purchase a weight-gainer, don't buy one of these Mega Mass 4000, etc. products. These are usually caseinates / egg white protein with considerable dextrose or maltodextrin added. You would be better off buying a Met-RX ripoff (240Cal, 37g protein, 24g carbohydrate), and mixing it with skim milk.

Have a "quality" meal at least every 3 hours.

Eat your breakfast (high in protein) as soon as you wake up. This gets your metabolism started as early as possible

Immediately after your workout, get a good 30 gram quick carb snack. This will help to start the replenishment of your glycogen stores.
    Within 2 hours of the completion of your workout, eat a full high protein, high carb meal. This is the most important meal for protein.
    The day after your workouts, a time for recovery, is another period when increased protein is suggested.

Get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. To make getting to sleep easier, eat a small carb meal before bedtime, and avoid significant protein. The carbsnack will help release l-tryptophan, a sleep inducer.

You should ask your doctor/nutritionist for advice. He or she can help you figure out why you are underweight and make some suggestions that are right for you. I know, I know .. but as a teen it is important for you to develop healthy eating habits .... now!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  3. Mr.88

Mr.88 New Member

Wow thats brilliant, my god you know your stuff :D well i am going to start more weight training to build up my size, and will try to eat as you suggested :) but i wont try to increase 2 much because lots of people say i dont need to. But thanks again for g8 info

4. Hui Lai

Hui Lai In the end, just pretend

Dude, I'm the same way. well WAS the same way. When i started Kung Fu i was 145 pounds at 6'2" scary skinny. I had a SUPER HIGH metabolism where i could eat ANYTHING and not gain anything or even sometimes i'd lose it. I at TONS of junk food and garbage. I'd skip meals and eat alot of fatty foods when i did eat. Two years ago beleive it or not i dropped eating meat and did the veggie thing. 6 years later(after i started kung fu) i'm at 175 and gaining until i get to 180 then i think that's when i'm done. Basically i agree with KickChick. Alot of protein. Drink Ensure(in the States). Yeah, it's for older people but it has a crazy amount of vitamins and protein and tastes pretty good too. Eat nuts, peanuts, or stuff like that. Stay away from high sugars (they make your metabolism go crazy and isn't the best for your skin).

One thing i want you to know. Something i went through and struggle with a bit. When you gain weight sometimes your body that's used to your 119 pound self. Your body may feel slower. Just keep pushing your training and working out. Good luck.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

be careful though. 119 pounds at your height is bordering on anorexic. any exercise you do is going to burn muscle because you have no fat reserve, so you have to eat a lot of high protein foods to keep it on. if you continue losing weight I would seriously recommend you take a break from your workout for a little while.

and yeah it is tough, I too have a lot of trouble gaining weight. I am 5'10 and weigh about 140 pounds, and am still quite skinny. but I have been putting on weight lately, 12 pounds in the last few months, by regularly drinking protein shakes and making sure I am always full. also, have a good feed before you go to bed, waking up hungry is not good.

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Never be afraid of alittle fat on your body!

7. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

That would depend on whose fat is on your body :D

8. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Man, people must tread on you all the time. Do you work in the circus?

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Yeah, 119 is dangerously low for your height. I suggest you get your ass to McDonalds or something and eat everything on the menu. :p

How odd, I am nearly the same height and weight as you. I weigh 135lbs. :p

PL

10. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

I agree with most of what is said here but I have added my thoughts... I have been weight training and body building for 15 years... I started at about 130lbs at 6 foot at age 16-17... now I am 253ish lbs still 6 foot and older than 30... ;) but I can tell you its not a quick thing gaining weight... especially with a fast metabolism... anyway please read my thoughts in bold above... thanks... also there are many sites out there with bodybuilding in mind and how to gain weight effectively... but time is best here... PM me or mail me if you want to know any of these sites... cheers...

11. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

My boyfriend is 6'2" and weighs about 9 stone. He cycles a lot and eats loads but never seems to gain any weight (grrrr....). Last time he got weighed at the doctors they said, 'your weight says you should be nearly dead, but since you're obviously healthy, dont worry about it!' He's built slim, his dad is built slim, they always have been. 8.5 stone is pretty low, but if you are built that way it isnt necessarily dangerous. Also, you are young and still have plenty of growing to do. My boyfriend is 27 and I dont think he'll ever hit 10 stone! Keep an eye on it, but if you feel healthy dont flap about it too much!
    :D

12. TheTinMan

TheTinMan New Member

im 6'3 and weigh about 205 pounds
    i was once like you, struggling with weight, but i started eating like a horse, protein, blah blah blah.

a good source i used is chocolate almonds and cashews. they come in little mixbags at the Safeway here in vancouver. dont know if ur in the states or whatnot. also, ensure or boost is a good drink, also mentioned.

the nuts are a good bet!

13. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

I'm the same height as both of you and I wegh 163lbs (11 stone 7lbs), and I want to put more weight on so I can bulk up to about 177-180lbs (12 stone 7lbs - 13 stone).

14. Mr.88

Mr.88 New Member

Thanks for all the input guys, i have now started eating lots more especially protein foods, i have stopped running, continued weights and karate though, and hopefully i will put on some weight soon. Thanks again :)

15. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Ah..the days of being skinny... Good luck in your quest to get bigger man! I feel (felt actually) your pain. If worse comes to worst...eat crisco everyday...:D

16. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

Monday

Bench press 8-12 reps 4 sets
    Incline bench press 8-12 reps 2 sets
    Dumbbell flys 8-12 reps 2 sets
    Military press 8-12 reps 3 sets
    “Nose crushers” 8-12 reps 2 sets

Wednesday

Deadlifts 8-12 reps 4 sets
    Curls 8-12 reps 4 sets
    Pullups 3 sets to failure
    Good mornings 8-12 reps 2 sets
    Upright rows 8-12 reps 2 sets

Friday

Squats 8-12 reps 4 sets
    Leg curls 8-12 reps 2 sets
    Jumping lunges 25 reps for sets
    Calf raises 8-12 reps 4 sets
    Leg extension 8-12 reps 2 sets

That's the routine I do to gain weight. There will definitely be people telling you it doesn't work on here shortly, or that it is unhealthy for some reason, or that it makes you slow, but that will happen no matter what routine someone posts. You can't please everyone. But let me say it does work, I added ten pounds of muscle in 5 weeks. I also got faster, I can now run a quater mile in 58 seconds. It did not give me any pain at all. Just make sure you get 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, and tons of food, and it will work for you.

17. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Eat a high protein quality meal shortly before you goto bed. I gained loads this way.

18. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Eat, eat and eat a load more. Work out. Repeat.

At least.

19. Bruce_Wee

Bruce_Wee New Member

eating is like training, sometimes you have to force yourself, we don't always feel like training and lifting weights ya know. firstly you gotta increase your appetite, some people have small apetite.

i too have a very fast metabolism, both my parents are very athletic and very slim, so genetics play a big role here. i eat 4 big meals a day and i drink 2 glasses of skim milk and eat 4 pieces of peanut butter sandwitch beofre bed, sometimes i eat 15 egg whites in the morning and guess what i'm still slim, but stronger than most of my friends who are "bigger" than me :D

believe it or not having a good meal plan is actually a lot harder than plain training, it takes a lot of time to prepare. i'm a full time college student and i work 3-4 days a week. it all depends on how dedicated you are, a good starting point is to get yourself a plan so you can watch your progress and manage your routine better.

eat more calories!! you need protein + carbs, most people who are not gaining not because they don't eay enough protein, but because they don't eat enough carbs (complex carbs with a relatively low GI index, things like rice, bread, potato etc etc).
    start with 3500-4000 calories a day, you will be big in no time.

20. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Radok whats a 'Good mornings' never heard of it?

Btw: your plan looks good :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.