Age of practicing tkd students

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by franksv, Oct 5, 2006.

?

Age of TKD players

1. Kids 12 and under

3.8%
  2. Teens 13-19

28.2%
  3. Young Adults 20-39

54.2%
  4. Middle Age 40-59

13.7%
  5. Senoirs 60+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

Guess he's saying TKD is <inappropriate words are against the ToS> for kids and old people?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2006
  2. Henderson

Henderson New Member

Still kick'n

I've been active in TKD for about 25 yrs. now(just turned 50) and they'll most likely have to pronounce death on the competition mats. Am currently training for the senior nationals. I've actually gotten sharper at timing and offense with age. Maybe cause I don't have little ones to provide for anymore. Whatever the reason, I'm really enjoying this time of life.

3. Ninja01

Ninja01 Becky

I just entered the "young adults" category. I'm 20.

4. karatekid9811

karatekid9811 New Member

i am now 12 and and in april i am testing for 1st degree. And Hello to all.

5. Pumil

Pumil New Member

Hey I really am young... still a teen at 18!

6. Yeah, I think this will have a pretty large impact on whether or not this is a true picture of the age groups doing TKD. I would have thought most people on map fall into the young adults category?

7. Alex O

Alex O Ninja flying bellyflop

I know one guy who trained well into his sixties (he got his black belt at 59 I believe). Sadly he is no longer with us, but when he was, no one trained harder.

My father (48) also trains getting his first dan a year ago, he wants to be 4th dan by 60 - good luck!

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

congrats to your father. sounds like a great plan.

as far as the kids are concerned, i doubt that the younger teenagers will ''waste'' their time reading forums like this one. they'd rather play games. :)

9. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I'm 22!! Have been practicing since I was 18!!

10. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Or it's because they have parental controls that won't allow them on this site :) (at least that's why MY kids wouldn't post).

I'm 30...started training last year just before I turned 29. My son started when he was 7 1/2...he's 9 now and doing great.

My daughter will be joining in January and she's 10 1/2.

My youngest son is 5 1/2 and wants to join so badly but needs to wait until he's 7.

My 7 year old daughter doesn't seem very interested (she's very very meek; who knows though, maybe someday) but I think my 3 1/2 year old daughter who has an awesome front kick will be itching to join within a few years.

The benefit is that we can all "train" together at home...I feel like my daughter who is joining in January has a little bit of a headstart since she's been around TKD for the last 2 years (2 of my SILs: 18 and 21; and one of my BILs:14 are also in our class). It's kind of a family thing.

My husband (32) would like to join but he said it's just not "convenient" right now (financially).

My instructor is 56 and his wife is in her early 50's and they do fantastic (especially my instructor...wish I could move like that NOW let alone in 26 years!!!).

Having gone to several competitions, there's a WIDE age range from what I can tell. I was amazed at how many were competing that were over 50...talk about inspiring!

Anyway, I've rambled enough!

Kelly

11. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

lol that sounds like you have an awful lot of kids!!! I think I'll start my wee girl in little ninjas or something when she's about 5!! Hopefully I'll be teaching myself before then!!

12. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Hey Gem! Yup, we're on our sixth little kicker :D .

Kelly

13. Covane

Covane New Member

I'm sixteen, sort of young for a Tae Kwon Do student. I currently hold a black belt candidate belt and I will test for my black belt in June. I have been practicing martial arts since I was 12 and have been training for almost four years.

Tae Kwon Do has provided me with a lot of strength, endurance, cardio workouts, stamina, discipline, and respect. I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in it.

14. karatekid9811

karatekid9811 New Member

im 12 and im here arent i? :)