After all this time finally i am in the process of getting an MRI

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by yannick35, Feb 5, 2008.

1. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Cant quit beleive it,

I am going in a private clinic 650$ but guess that is the price to pay to know what is going on.

I always have this nagging pain that comes back on one side of my lower back, i know that my spin and bones are all 100% because i seen it on the X ray.

Now with an MRI it will see if there is ligaments and muscles tear and issues.

I plan on getting back in martial arts in September this time i will do anything to be cured.

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I've had an MRI done before, though mine was on my brain (no they didn't find it).

Good luck, they are very claustrophobic so if you hate confined spaces, ask for a sedative!

3. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Good luck! Hope that everything turns out well. Had my knee done in January and aside from having to stay absolutely still, it wasn't that bad.

Then again, I wasn't in the "Big" MRI machine either. As Saz states, if your squimish about confined spaces, ask for the knock-out pills!

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

The lower back should be ok, your head wont be in the scanner.

An MRI in the uk costs £500 / $1000 ish

I recently got 5 done in 2 sittings :(

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My avatar is taken from an MRI I've just had done on my head (for an ear/deafness problem I've had for years).
    It was a bit like being in a really small, boring rave. 15 minutes of noing, noing, noing, noing sounds at different pitches.
    I have to say that is totally mind-blowing to see the inside of your own head. A modern miracle.

6. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

thanks guys

Well i want to have the lower back scanned for sure and the hip ligament for the snapping hip.

Also the upper back because i still have pains in that region too.

I rather have everything scanned the have to go back again.

Now i hope that my chiro knows how to read an MRI

7. donb

donb restless spirit

No offense against chiropractors but with a condition like yours, if it was me, i'd feel more comfortable for an orthopedic surgeon to read my MRI results.

8. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Might I say Hells yes!

No way I would let even a board certified, A-1, licensed & bonded chiro deal with that. I would head straight away to an extremely well certified Sports Orthopediest! DON'T let your chiropractor deal with this. Just my opinion and I am not a doctor but not when you are talking about your spine and hips...

:eek:

9. Sgt_Major

thirded.

Even surgeons can take a while to read em right, let alone a chiro

10. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

I will go to a private clinic cost 375$ but insurance will pay back 80%.

They can refer me to an orthopedic surgeon.

My current chiro is doing good for upper back neck pain, but i still have to get the snapping hip and lower back pain under control.

Also get my pelvic stabalized, it does need adjustments, not that much but still.

I dont know if its normal that the pelvic unadjust itself?

11. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Sounds like one of those tips on your spin have broken and is leaning on a nerve, the only way to know this is a x-ray or a mri so there you go.

Yea when it comes to bone stuff MRI or X-Ray.

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I'm in agreement with the others,dont let the chiro check it out! I had a similar thing with hip/lower back and had an mri done but it came back clear.I told you on the other thread how I sorted it though. Massage helped so much as it was just a problem with the joints in the lower back, plus some problems in my neck that somehow manage to give me pain in my back. The hip was also muscular- I had some of my ass muscles relaxed by massage (I cant remember the name of the major muscles) as there was a tightness, this in turn loosened my hip up.

13. Sgt_Major

My pelvis needs adjusted about once a yr...

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

How do you get that done Sgt?

15. Sgt_Major

chiro does it.

She puts different sized wedges under my hips/thighs, and manipulates it. Its not painful, and normally after 1 session its fine.

I also get my spine re-aligned about every 6months... actually getting it done next week

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ahhh interesting. Does it make a big difference?

17. nready

Wow how long has your name been Lou and not Su Lin? I just noticed it to.

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Since yesterday :D

Having back/hip problems had really started getting to me, so I can sympathise with your predicament Yannick! Would be good to think about any other little nagging problems you have elsewhere in your body,or any past injuries,as it's surprising what can cause connected problems .

19. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

I have to face the facts i am giving myself til september 2008th to get back into martial arts, kyokushin to be exact, since no MMA or Muay Thai school are not around my neighborhood.

At 36 years old in June i need to be sure to be injury free, i have been on and off training for 7 years now.

I manage to lose 30 pounds has of today, and want to get my body to around 175 pounds, i am now 190.

Has for massages i tried everything, my butt muscle is not tight but when i try
    streching the hip it does wonders.

My chiro is going to call the MRI clinic to find out what the test will cover and explain my problem, he will talk to someone at the clinic and see if its worth the 650$.

So expensive.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  20. nready

The one for my knee at a hospital here in Arkansas cost me 1200$. That is a approx it was more than one time so that maybe for both.