After a break: How much training before a tournament?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by philosoraptor, Jan 5, 2013.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I really wanted to compete in BJJ this January, but I will be traveling internationally to an area with very little in the way of medical care and fairly strenuous physical work, so I'm thinking that it's a terrible idea to risk any sort of injury before I leave.

I return in late April, maybe May-ish and I was thinking that I should totally compete this Summer. In general I train 5-6 days a week; I'm thinking that I probably won't lose too much of my cardio, and two weeks or so should get me mostly back to where I was before the break. Picking a low key tournament of some sort might be a good idea as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions? How long do you guys usually wait before competing? In before "Ask your coach." ;)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How long are you away for? What belt catagory and which type of comp?

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

There was a kind of bird in the ancient time that was always quite. When it started to screem, it can scare the hell out of you. When you think you are that bird and ready to shake the world, it's time for you to compete.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  4. philosoraptor

Away for three to four months, still a white belt and I'm thinking just gi and no gi comps with points. Regular IBJJF rules.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Just get a good workout schedule lots of Cardio and body weight exercises whilst away and you'll be good to go for whitebelt level in a week or so.

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

One of the things I've been going by since I started boxing about 8 months ago was that once I felt my skill level was good enough to compete, then I would get in shape to fight. There is a difference in having the knowledge and ability with boxing, and applying it in high intensity sparring (or matches) with consistency and not gassing so much you end up getting hurt.

That said, if you're comfortable with your skills in whatever martial you're looking to compete in, I think you can count yourself ready for competition when you have enough endurance to protect yourself at all times as well actively and consistently perform to maneuver on and beat your opponent. If you have enough skill and are able to train at least 2-3 times a week to keep your current skill level fresh, then as long as you are in good enough shape I think you would be more then well enough to compete.

Oh, and ask your coach :D

7. philosoraptor

I feel very comfortable with my skills in the context of a white belt tournie (might not be ready for black belt absolute at the mundials). I'm probably not going to be able to train at all when I'm overseas (there's only one BJJ dojo in the country, around 20 hours of travel away from where I will be), but I will be able to run, lift bags of rocks and do body weight exercises.

I will play lots of Angry Birds to cross train.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You need to be on the mats at least half the same time your away for to be peak.
    But you dont need to be peak to jump in and enjoy the comp.

Good luck!