advise on my local JJJ club and training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by robin101, Feb 24, 2014.

1. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Ok guys heres my situation. A while back my job was cut back to half the regular hours, I have enough money to get by , but things like martial arts clubs ( the kind I want) are out of the question financially. Then I discovered there was a Jujutsu class that has opened in my home town. like down the road from my house. and its not too expensive. The question is though, is it worth doing? even if its just transitional? I want to do something with the full range ( strikes , grappling, throws, atemi ) in it and this seems to have it.

It offers a free lesson so I will be going along. but would LOVE your guys opinion of how it looks . If it even looks part way decent I may go along, just to keep training you know?

http://www.totalselfdefence.co.uk/

So has anyone gone to anything with this guy, and if not what are your opinions based on what you see? please honesty.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Wow how many times can you get the words master and master professor on one page. :rolleyes: :D

Looks like standard WJJF type stuff, whether that suits your needs I don't know.

What is it you want?? By that I mean what are your goals.

Having a look is probably a good idea, you never know they may be a bunch of martial geniuses.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  3. Dean Winchester

I noticed there's a kenjutsu clip on there, I can't view it right now but I'd question what their background is in that.

Edit: Ok watched it. Be very cautious, if you end up going then very politely give them the third degree about where they are supposed to have studied.

ps I didnt like the knife work either. :D

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Seems like a WJJF off shoot as DW said. I posted a thread about the WJJF recently.

Head instructor mentions he has a black belt in "Aki Ju-Jitsu". This could be an intentional mis spelling of Aiki ju Jitsu, which is a form of Japanese martial arts. There are only 2 Aiki ju Jutsu schools in the uk I know about and they are neither were about in the 60's. If you google "Aki Ju-Jitsu" it brings up very little. This is a red flag IMO.

He could just have taken the WJJF trait if dubious marketing and suspect claims with him. What I would say is just because the group has felt the need to resort to pretty dodgy marketing doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing.

The moves seem to be done against compliant partners.

Simply seems to be British Ju Jitsu. If you like getting belts and training with compliant partners in a martial art with pseudo Japanese trimmings, you'd probably be ok at this place.

5. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

If it's the Hitchin there is also a Judo club in that area. Judo is usually cheap as chips in the UK. Just as an alternative.

http://hitchinjudo.wordpress.com

6. robin101

considered that but I love striking to much to give it up.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You aren't - you are complimenting it

Otherwise you are doing half-assed grappling with half-assed striking. Better to do decent grappling and practice on your own time to keep your hand in for the rest

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Striking is the combination of timing, balance, footwork, hip movement angles. You wont learn anything like that kind of depth at a WJJF school or of shoot. Do Judo you wont regret it, or even look for a boxing gym there everywhere and usually not that dear.

EDIT: and as much as people wan't to be friendly about things the grappling is usually dogcrap in the vast majority of traditional Jiu Jitsu places, particularly the WJJF brand if we are being honest.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Do Judo and boxing IMO. No point in doing striking and grappling badly.

10. robin101

Thanks for all the advice guys. All stuff to consider. I Cannot afford the time or money to do Two MA at the moment. I will pop down to a free class and see how it is, its free and I can walk there, so on the off chance they are ok its worth a shot. though am NOT holding my breath.

11. Dean Winchester

Ask them about that sword clip.

I'd be interested in hearing what training they have.