Advice on my new web site

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by KenpoDavid, Jul 9, 2007.

1. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I have started a new onlien book store, as an Amazon Affiliate. it is pretty cool, very easy to setup. Please check it out and let me know what you think of my design and colors, and also the site organization and my selection of titles. if you know of any good MA books that I need to feature, please let me know.

The site is at www.kungfubooksonline.com

Thanks!
    -David

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Do you have a search facility ...either for authors or styles ?

Ie I am interested in Jujitsu....what books do you have on offer ?

Nice layout ....wish I had the time to read some of the books on offer ...

regards

Smurf

3. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

For jujutsu look under MMA Books. There are also a couple under Japanese Arts but I had too many Japanese books and not enoguh MMA books so I put most of the JJ (B and J) under MMA.

I am working on the Search function now, try again later this week :)

Thanks for you feedback! I wish I had more time for reading too.

I need to idetify some good boosk on Korean styles, on "Other Asian" styles, and on Western styles (other than American).

4. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

You are welcome ..... good luck in your venture

Smurf

5. Mad Ahab

Mad Ahab Valued Member

How much traffic are you getting?

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

David,

Just had a quick look, and the design and colours are excellent. Very soothing on the eye, and I like the 'uncluttered' look.

I also like the summary statement of what the site is about.

Best of luck with your venture. :)

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Only one piece of constructive criticism. I'd personally like to see the links to each category (on the left-hand side where you have them) also come with a brief description. If I'm not too experienced, I won't know what the distinctions mean, so a quick "user's guide" with some brief lists of styles or definitions would probably be helpful.

8. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I had a category description but the original "template" I used was too thin and it looked bad. But with this layout I have more room so I should add them back in I think...

I'm not getting as much traffic as I would like, but I really haven't done much to promote it yet except to post it in a couple of MA forums. Once I've got the remaining 5 or 6 categories, a Search function, and a couple more technical details ironed out, I will start pushing it into search engines and might even buy some ads.

The grocery sections is cool, you can set it up to periodically ship you stuff you use regularly...

9. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

search is active

I have a search function now, and cleaned up some CSS / size problems. I still don't have category descriptions, but I think I am going to setup sub-cats for differnet arts. Especially in the Japanese section.

I'm having trouble with google indexing because I don;t have a lot of "home" content, it's just amazon links :( I'm not looking to start adding and maintaining lots of custom content (besides, who wants to read what I have to say LOL), so I'm not sure how to resolve that... The best idea I have so far is to invite book reviews, maybe setup a sortof of "pubic blog" where anyone could post a review of a book. What do you all think of that idea?