Advice on home training group

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hey so the situation we have is that 3 of us in our squat are martial artists of various types.

Theres me another girl who has about a year casual but was taught one on one. And this guy with 5 yesrs in various martial arts, 3 years aikido, 6 months japanese jujitsu and a month intensive in thailand.

We’ve started training striking together doing an hour each day on pads. We will eventually have a trainer skype in and instruct us via video. Not sure how itl work but none of us are starting from 0.

Would it be beneficial to learn some aikido footwork in absence of having a boxing or mma coach. How is it different to boxing footwork and can it be useful for general kickboxing or mma game?

I wasn’t taught much footwork im thailand. Was taught how to lean back and sidestep but thats it.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The footwork in Muay Thai is very subtle. A lot of it is hidden in the techniques when you throw them. The idea is to make the other person move, that's how the point system works. In boxing the footwork is all in conjunction with evasiveness and encourages basically being at a 45 degree angle from your opponent at all times.

I'd say if you're going to learn a martial art like Aikido or Japanese Jujutsu you're probably better learning it for its own sake. A lot of the stuff isn't as applicable to a kickboxing/muay thai scenario.

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Ok ill just stick to pads and bagwork for next couple of months.

Was just thinking were all locked down and I have this guy with some skill in a martial art, wonder whether it would be useful to add in to my knowledge.

Im not strictly speaking going for muay thai. I want my base to be there but I may want to move into MMA eventually.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Aikido will not help in MMA.

By all means do it for fun, we all have a lot of time to waste at the moment, but it won't help in MMA, beyond possibly exposing you to a wider range of grip releases then you've already been exposed too, and helping your friend feel like he's being usefull.