Advice needed please... Two styles

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Lennon, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Lennon

Lennon Member

Note that easy in a one bed flat mate.

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Like I say, even if it is just holding stances, that is still practice. Or work on developing combinations and flow between different hand techniques, practice switching stances. Practice doesn't have to take up a lot of space.
    If you have time to travel to another class, you have time to go to a park and practice.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  3. Lennon

Lennon Member

Well based on that comment I can tell you haven't read the thread.

You seem quite hostile and patronising in the way you are speaking and I'm not sure wgat you're trying to gain from it.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Hardly hostile.

Unless I have missed something the advice is to train at home if getting to a further class is difficult.

5. Lennon

Lennon Member

There are ways to say things.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Indeed.

7. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Actually I did read the thread - you've commented that there is a park you train in for half an hour when you get a chance.
    My comments are simply to suggest, rather than spending your time (and money) learning a new style, why not use that time to go deeper into your current style, which you say you enjoy?

I don't "gain" anything from this. It's just advice from someone who used to do three arts simultaneously. I too wanted more and more, but it was only when an injury put me out, and TaiChi was the only thing I could manage at the time, did I realise the value of going deeply into one "way".
    But, you steer your own ship.

8. ShaoMaz

ShaoMaz New Member

Sorry to drag this post up.... but, Mok Gar has takedowns, throws, sweeps etc and Chin Na/grappling is incorporated into them (I hope that makes sense).
    I have trained in tight spaces over the years and understand what you say, however, I agree with others that this can be turned into a good way to perfect your 'bread and butter' techniques, skills and strength (horse stance, 70/30 stance which is a huge trait of Mok Gar etc or press ups, core work etc). All valuable skills which take time to perfect and strengthen.
    Hope this helps.

9. Lennon

Lennon Member

Thanks for taking the time to read!

We do have takedowns and sweeps, we do use joint locks etc but not much on the ground at all.

At the time this was posted I was fairly new to the art (still am) but I was chasing the constructive enjoyment of training under supervision which I wanted I wanted to learn another art.

I've since decided to focus on Mok Gar and develop my own training schedule. I've also taken up yoga to help with flexibility which in turns helps with my need for structured training (of any form)

10. ShaoMaz

ShaoMaz New Member

Is your teacher Stuart by any chance?

There should be locks on the ground, though the style is designed that you get off the floor as soon as possible.

How are you getting on with the style? Yoga will help no end :)

11. Lennon

Lennon Member

It is... how did you guess? Ex student?

I’m only an orange sash so maybe I’ve just not really gone that far. Any locks I’ve practise that have been ground based have generally started from standing and move to the ground. Like you say the majority of any ground work is about how to get back up as quickly and safely as possible!

Style is ace, although I never studied it I was always interested in TKD sowhen I found Mok Gar I was happy that it used alot of Kicks.

Yoga does help! Kicks have gotten higher and core strenth for stances has improved greatly!

My yoga teacher is an ex Wing Chun student and a Black Belt in Shotokan Karate (I think it's that anyway) so she understands what I'm asking for from my yoga practise