Advice for my new book...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by kenpoguy, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

:eek: :confused:

2. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Taff, at least you understood what I meant. And yeah, I agree with you that the word "stance" can be a little misleading. Although, the word "kamae" comes with a huge burden of meaning, and isnt very easily translated to english. But I think the closest meaning would be "posture" which, in a way means "horse-stance" but it also means how you carry yourself. Eh?

3. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Siphus has just been using Ninja speak again :D :D

4. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

"Dem crazy ninja boys, always tryin to stur up a ruckus"

::crazy dukes of hazzard music in the background::

"How er they gonna git outta dis one?"

5. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

SpookyFBI talked about another section that I have included in my book. I don't refer to it as kamae, but essentially its similar logic. I use "three rings" as an example. Ring 3, being too far away from your opponent to strike. To hit, you have to make a transition to move, or can also run away. In ring two, your close enough to kick and hit if you overextend. Ring one is very close range. i.e. clinching, grabs, breaks, etc. Like i've said, just about all fights start out of a neutral stance. But if a fight does drag on for too long, people do tend to resume stances. Again, not horse stances or any stances for the sake of form. Rather as an attacking/guard position. Form is generally useless on the street if your quick to end a fight. The only time I find it to be truly important, is on certain rear attacks or when dealing with multiple opponents. But, I'm doing my best NOT to make this a "how to fight book" that illustrates one technique after another. Instead its "how to fight using your logic" and how to obtain proper experience.

6. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

I agree that traditonal stances don't. That's actually another reason why I decided to write this book. Too many books try to do the instructing in place of a qualified instructor. Nobody can hope to learn traditional stances in a book and apply them on the street. But my chapter doesn't cover those... My other posts go into what my "stances" chapter actually covers more deeply. As an instructor, I can't tell you how many times i had "self taught" students come in. Typically they had, "know it all" attitudes, and had some horrible habits. Fake training is nothing but a false sense of security...

7. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

IMO you can use pictures or illustrations to further emphasize rather obvious scenarios, such as walking with money sticking out of your pocket and a cellphone and fancy clothing in a dark alley in a bad neighbourhood, vs. walking in a big crowd (with or without friends) and being aware of suspicious things.

Also, for instance, I don't know who mentioned pressure points here, but you can demonstrate why they work on a skinny guy vs. not working on a fat or a muscular guy using illustrations.

And, if you really pictures of techniques, give an example as to why certain fancy techniques will leave you at a big disadvantage (friends of his coming, etc.) or why it is much more dangerous to reach the ground.

Just my two cents.