Advice about an injury and my upcoming debut amature Muay Thai bout

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Slihn, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Slihn

Slihn New Member

Hello all. I have been practicing Muay Thai for about to years now.I recently relocated and I have just started training continusely again after about two months of not training at all. On my first day in the gym,my new Muay Thai trainer said that I ( my technique) looked real good.He told me that I defenity have the skills to fight and then asked me if I want to fight with the gym in October;I told him yes and when I told him that I have never fought in a tournament before we,along with a few other students where highly shocked.I told him that I am going to fight but I need to work on my stamnia because its abit rusty.The next class after that I had to spar against a student who had already fought and won,when we finished sparring he took me to the side and told me that I am ready and I should fight in the up coming Kumate,which is on the 29th of Sept.

The only thing is, is that because of my circumstances I havent been able to train the way that I want to and on top of that,I hurt my shin really bad a few days ago( I threw a rib kick in classs while sparring and my opponet blocked it text -book perfect,you know,knee to shin.After that my calf started to lock up but I was fournate because it was a MMa night so I didnt groud fighting fo the rest of the night),to the point to where I had to take a sick day off from work Fri because there was no way that I could stand and walk around all day long.At home I try to work my upper body,but now I am concered about my cardio training.I am going to try and go cycling and do some swimming for cardio,its just that I dont know if that will be enough;I am doing alot of upper and mid body weight training and calistinics but that is only about 40% of the battle.I am not abit concerned because I dont how much time my shin will leave me to be able to train and I hunger for battle.

Any ideas or advice?What would you do in my shoes?I know swimming can burn quite abit of cals and that it is great cardio,but is it enough.

Any thoughts?

2. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

When I was fighting, I supplemented a lot of my cardio with an elliptical trainer. In my case, I had problems with my hips and hamstrings that prevented me from running more than a couple of miles and I was unable to run above a medium pace.

Also, if you've damaged your shin, switch to knees on that side. Adjust your game such that you're kicking with the other leg and kneeing with the injured leg.

3. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

Running, swimming, cycling, burpees, fartlek etc are good for cardio so try these.

Sometimes we will go into fights with injuries which can be normal so if you feel you could fight to a good standard then go for it but if you feel it will hinder you too much then give this fight a miss.

Khun kao is right adjust your game if you do fight.