Adult Only Section

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by NRees, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

MAP is a community, that is a fact. And in every community, there are discussions that are unsuitable for children - in which case it takes place in somewhere away from the children. It is for this reason that I think MAP should have a section specificly for adults.

You'll probably think that its ironic that I'm only 17 myself, but you get the point :p

Please post your ideas regarding this topic.

2. Tika

Tika New Member

Hmm, I doubt those higher up would agree with me. But I like that idea. It would probably be a pain in the butt to moderate though.... Maybe a pain in the butt to handle all the permisions... age verification when signing up... stuff like that would probably lead it to be more trouble than its worth.

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Tika - yep, I think that would be the biggest problem. Not everyone is truthful about their age when they join :(

4. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

yeah, i agree with tika, it's a good idea, but it would be a pain to moderate.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

...you can say that again!

I believe MAP is more deserving of a "Kiddie Korner" myself :D

And yeah I do think your post is a bit ironic ... but that is coming from someone who is more than twice your age! :D Maybe a "Senior Section" too while we're at it.

... can you see where I'm going with this ??

A MAP community it is ... young & old learning from one another.

There are "adult forums" on the net if you wish to be explicit.

6. Adam

Adam New Member

I vote against it. If we started dividing MAP into adult and kiddie sections, I think we'd kind of have defeated the original purpose of the site, free discussion between martial artists (of all ages) I can name several very worthwhile posters under the age of 18 with more knowledge than people much older than them. It would be unfair to confine them to the kiddie section.
    No, I think that an Idiot section is what we need, where all the martial tards could be confined to. I volunteer to be the mod :D

7. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Aside from the potential age-verification problems, I just don't think we need an adults-only section. Imagine what kind of material would have to be restricted to an adults-only section -- probably not anything we want on the forum in the first place!

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

^^^^ What she said!

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Nicely said... I agree. I can't really think of anything that I'd want to discuss on MAP that would need to be in an "adults-only" section.

10. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

I agree totally...MA forum for MA topics...adult forums for adult topics. If you really need to talk explicitly amongst each other, you can PM or use MSN Messenger (or the many other chat programs available).

11. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

This idea is good and not so good at the same time :)
    It's good to think that maybe soem of our discussions here could "harm" the innocent mind of children and an adult section would seem fair. Also it's hard to moderate and set in because of all the things you've mentioned before.
    Happily this forum is very well moderated all the time and all the members are really careful with the words they chose. I've been here for a small amount of time, but I could make an impression. A very good one. Discussion is mature (even if children take part) and I've seen almost no "offensive" words. We kinda moderate it so it's child safe. ;)

12. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

The MAP PM system is subject to the same rules as the rest of the site.

From the Terms of Service Section 4

4.14 Private Messaging (PM) Chat and the Journal System:
    ALL of the rules listed apply to the Private Messaging, Chat and Journal system also, especially soliciting, advertising and sexually related content.
    4.14.1 Using the PM, Chat or Journal system in an attempt to circumvent forum posting rules will be considered a violation of those rules. Persistent offenders may have their access to these facilities removed.

13. cjw314

cjw314 New Member

I can't imagine what you would want to discuss, assuming it's re: Martial Arts, that isn't (reasonably) suitable for all to read.

The only thing that an 'adults' section would contain is the kind of crud that the 'net needs LESS of, not MORE of.

14. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Totaly agree

I don't think that would address the issue. It will just create more problems

15. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

I vote against it, lets not divide lets all be one here in MAP!

16. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I now realize what prompted you to start this thread.

It was for posting a thread that had a warning by you : " Disclaimer: This link ain't for kids. Very funny story though, so mods please be kind :D"

As long as you follow MAP's TOS (see Yodas link above) ... we will remain kind
    :Angel: :)

17. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

What he said :D :D :D

18. Topher

Topher allo!

What he said :D :D :D :D

19. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

you mean: what SHE said? :D :D

20. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

I see a lot of your points, But I think some of you missed the point. My idea was to have more of an adult general off-topic, so you could post those funny jokes you know but cant post here on MAP, or for those funny links you find that you want to share with people here at MAP. I'm not suggesting we open a sex forum, as some of you seem to think 0.o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.