Adopting a Dog

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Victoria, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I'm sure this is regional in nature. We found Duke at the pound and Dane x dogs aren't uncommon around here. He's a Great Dane/Boxer mutt and the best dog ever. He was about 1 yr old when we adopted him and already around 80 lbs. His owners left him alone in a backyard all day and wondered why he would jump their 6' fence and cruise the neighborhood. :rolleyes:

He's almost 11 years old now and still moves really well. While his hips are getting a little stiffer, hybrid vigor has really made him much healthier than he would otherwise have been.

In general, mutts being much healthier than purebred dogs, especially puppy farm dogs, is another terrific reason for adopting from the shelters.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwww

cute dog.

i suggest starting a pet pictures thread.

3. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Very good points Stevebjj. Only 1 dog I adopted was a pure breed (a Keeshond). Mutts are definitly the way to go.....

given the choice of course!

Don't think I will have that option w/ my wife and her Dane obsession....:(

5. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

General PSA: if anyone is interested in looking for a pet, please, please, please check out petfinder.com. It's a national resource for rescues, pounds, shelters and you name it. You can find animals in need of a home ranging from hamsters to llamas, and of course dogs and cats, too.

The advantage of Petfinder is that you can find animals not just from within one shelter, but anywhere around you. Sometimes, the perfect fit for your family is a few hours away. We drove about 7 hours each way, twice, to pick up our puppies. We drove out to meet the rescue staff and check out the dogs, and then again a few weeks later to take them home. It was worth it!