Adopting a Dog

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Victoria, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

We've been talking for a few months about getting a puppy from a breeder, but this Sunday decided to pay a visit to the local dog shelter.

It was heart braking, I was fighting back the tears from the moment I stepped in there, all those poor dogs crying pitifully in damp cold conditions, longing for the next person to pick them. Some had been in there for a good few months and one in particular had been in there since November last year because she had a scar and nobody wanted her (female staff, cute and friendly as hell, we chose her but someone was already picking her up in a couple of weeks :().

But I'm glad we went, as we left with the new addition to our household, Cassie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's a great dog (2 y/o staff bitch), she's very friendly and playful, lick you to death, loves people, hardly ever barks, snores louder than I do, and surprisingly isn't nervous at all. We need a tiny bit of work with asking to go 'out' to pee, but in all we've been lucky to find her.

In future we won't think twice about visiting the dog shelter when looking for a new pet. It can be upsetting but giving one of these dogs a new chance in life is far better than heading for a breeder.

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Good stuff and a great looking dog, beautifull coat too! Though I'm not sure I'd want it napping so close to my crotch :) Make sure it knows who the alpha is, you dont want those jaws getting rowdy ;)

3. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Sweet! she looks like my old dog Bruce, sadly he's no longer with us.

At least you can give one dog a happy home :)

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Wicked. I had a Staffy from when I was 15 until she was put down aged 11.
    Sadly expect some people to give you a wide berth when walking your dog.
    I like the experience of bringing up a puppy but will look to rescue when one of our current dogs licks the bucket.

5. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Aww, V, she's lovely. I like the first pic, of her looking up at the camera.
    I'd always say to get a dog from a shelter, there's so much love there they have to give.

6. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Good for you, and I'm glad she has found a home. I couldn't imagine getting a pet from anyplace other than a rescue or a shelter. We have three dogs right now, all from rescues. There are so many great dogs and cats who are abandoned by their people. The ones that break my heart are the 6 or 8 year old dogs (or older) whose owners died. :(

7. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

We had a staffie/boxer cross. No one came near us even during the middle of the "neighbourhood disputes" that was going on in the area we grew up in. Was calm as a puppy and dopey looking, but people still gave that dog and me the widest birth going (to a point of crossing the road).

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Nice doggy . . . the shelter was a good choice on your part.

9. SB1970

SB1970 Valued Member

You done a great thing,well done-and pootch looks sooooooo cute:Angel:

10. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Good looking pup! Congratulations on your adoption.

11. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Did I not say after the wedding of V that there will be shortly a patter of tiny feet. :D

See I am always right. :p

12. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Congratulations V & Mei! Remember, there is no such thing as a bad dog. Only bad owners!

We have adopted our last 5 dogs from No-Kill shelters. We have adopted dogs less then 3 years old of all shapes and breeds. I will NEVER buy from a breeder unless there is a specific reason to. (my wife loves Great Danes and they are really hard to find @ shelters) Our latest edition, an 11 month old pedigreed Rat Terrier was a gift from my son's teacher. That dog would have been $600 on the market and we have filed the paper work in case we decide to stud him out.

Good for you for saving a life!

13. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Good for you, V! She's so cute! :D

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW..................................................congrats!

i like dogs :p

15. Victoria

Rat Terriers are Chris's favourite dogs, unfortunately they're not too common over here :(

Cheers all :D

We've now managed to train her to stay in her bed and not ours, thankfully! She's pretty intelligent! She already knows simple commands like sit, stay etc, her last owners must have trained her. We're still not sure how she ended up at the shelter but she's had puppies at a very young age and either ran away or has been abandoned.

16. Victoria

How the hell did that happen? :eek:

17. narcsarge

Well V, if we ever do decide to breed our Rat Terrier (Riddick is his name :rolleyes:) we get pick of the litter. Maybe we could figure out a way to get you and Mei over to the states to take home a pure-bred! :eek:

Riddick love to sleep under the covers. Never have I seen a dog like him. When he gets tired, he runs to the top of the bed, sticks his head under an opening in the covers, and crawks down to my feet. I kick the little guy all night long! I actually think he likes it!

Oh! Oh!

He loves chasing the light from a laser pointer too. We have a nice field by our house and I run him ragged!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  18. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Ask your husband. But do not complain about how tired you are tomorrow. :D

19. Victoria

We'll probably be over at some point in future, and I'm pretty sure he'd jump at the chance to take home a Rat Terrier! So you never know ;)

Chris fought to keep Cassie in the bed, but I can't stick it, fur and dog tongue and butt in my sheets :eek: Plus she's prone to farting at the moment. It was me or the dog! So we compromised and put her bed at the bottom of ours. Surprisingly she stays in there after a slight protest :D

Doesn't the dog ever figure that it can't bite the light? :Alien:

20. narcsarge

He's stupid.

Cute!

But stoooooooooooooopid! :eek:

He looks like this and we haven't docked his tail yet. Don't know that we will but he is still young....

[​IMG]