Adam Mizner?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by EmptyHandGuy, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Anyone else getting flashbacks to debating religious people online in the lat 1990's early 2000's and realising rational thinking isn't actually very common?

Although to be fair the entire new atheist community has been pretty disappointing long term.

aaradia, axelb and Dan Bian like this.
  2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

This was the idiot who posted counters to single and double leg attacks a while back which were laughable correct?

If someone looks at what he does and wants to spend their hard earned money supporting him it's their own fault really

Grond, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

The proof is any of his video's. You can see a person literally using their own leg power to power up the magic chi bounce = that it isn't an energy from the person supposedly doing the push. Too bad Mizner's clan took down the magic jalepeno pepper chi. They literally had a video where they claimed the person was pushed back through a pepper - without any direct person on person contact.

The proof is in countless video's where those that make similar claims fail spectacularly against a challenger who doesn't drink the cool aid. Or the fact that countless martial artists have challenged him to show his skills against a doubting person, but he always backs out at the last minute. Unless it is something he can carefully control.

The proof is in any real practitioner who understands their art and how it works being able know what is real and what isn't.

4. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

It's all speculation.

You understand your art in your way he does it in his way.

Look I'm unbiased, because I've never trained with Mizner and have no interest to do so, and I didn't train with any of you folks so why should I take his or your word for it?

5. Dead_pool

Your Not very unbiased, given that your spending your free time defending a guy you have not interest in.

Which is absolutely your right to do, but to take a side and then pretend your unbiased is a little misleading.

Let's reword the situation.

What is it, about these videos, that you like, or even identify with?

You've consumed his YouTube content, I assumed you have clicked like and subscribe.

What is it that you liked?

6. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Again speculation, I only watched the video of him on that documentary.

I never defended him. I just said that in general that alot of people seems to only see the worst in others, and that wasn't only targeted at Mizner topic.

Thats also an observation by the new folks that join, then getting a certain treatment here like they shouldn't post at all and then in the end get banned for saying something bad?

The Mizner topic was just the thing that triggered that thought for me.

So yes very very unbiased when it comes to Tai Chi stuff.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  7. windwalker

windwalker Member

Is it not poof to those taking his course or following his teachings ?

8. aaradia

If you want to give credibility to a person that had a video showing a magic chi blast moving someone through jalapeno peppers, be my guest. If you want to ignore the clear obvious signs of a person using their own muscles to prepare to jump, rather than being chi blasted, go ahead.

Feel free to think the earth is flat too.

Me, In general, I think there is a lack of critical thinking skills in this world right now.

9. Dead_pool

So what was it about the documentary you watched that you like, tell us what is good about the video, or dislike even, what do you think is bad, or could be better?

This is how a discussion forum works!

Let's discuss it!

axelb, David Harrison and Dan Bian like this.
  10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You're conflating two different subjects.

How the site is moderated is an entirely different subject to the credibility of Mizner.

It seems like you're choosing to argue about members' opinions on Mizner because you don't feel moderation on MAP is fair. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Quite honestly charlatanism and outlandish claims are so common in martial arts, throughout its history and today, that this is the most realistic approach to take.
    It's not so much assuming the worst but adopting another approach to evidence and logical fallacies called the "null hypothesis". Starting with the base assumption that nothing is present and asking the other person to build their case from the ground up (from a nothing or null state) with credible evidence.
    People claiming fantastical results or powers no longer get the benefit of the doubt because so many people claiming similar things have been shown to be full of it.

Much like nonsense like homeopathy anyone saying "chi" can produce any noticeable effect, that can't be gained or explained by other means, will have to bring a LOT to the table to substantiate that.
    If someone is claiming chi can make them stronger for example (like it would need to be to push multiple people away) then by all means use that chi to deadlift more than Eddie hall. Then we might have something ti talk about.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Dead_pool

I think more people should listen to James Randi!

axelb likes this.
  13. windwalker

windwalker Member

Wouldn't critical thinking involve understanding whats said to be the methodology by which it works.
    If one did investigate it, they would find why people react as they do is in accordance with what is said to be acted on..

Whether this is in fact, provable is not clear...

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  14. windwalker

windwalker Member

It's based on a different way of looking at the body.
    The Mystery of Chi | BillMoyers.com

Bill Moyer did a documentary on it a while back.

In CMA this concept is used in 2 basic ways...Use the qi to support the body ie iron palm, iron body ect....
    or use the body to support the qi directly acting more like a conduit...

All of it based on a cultural outlook of how the body works....are they wrong ?

15. aaradia

Chi and no or barely touching chi blasts are not the same thing and it seems like you are conflating the two.

You misrepresent things when you try to make this a cultural thing. My school is steeped in Chinese Culture - it is a traditional school. My school descends from Chinese lineages. The head of my schools Federation is a Chinese Immigrant and splits his time between here and China. (Been over there since Covid hit though.) He also does acupuncture.

This no touch chi blast is a twisting misrepresentation of concepts of Chi.

And yeah, if you (general you) teach that nonsense, then it makes everything else you teach suspect.

David Harrison and axelb like this.
  16. aaradia

Nope - Randi is also a fraud.

17. windwalker

windwalker Member

Why would anything I mightI teach, have anything to do with this conversation...

Critical thinking

Some say Qi does not exist

Are "you" saying what others say does not exist

does exist but is being misrepresented ?

How is it being "misrepresented "

Can you prove "Qi" exist to those who would say it does not ?

18. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This is clearly fake in the first 10 seconds, and when I looked a little further it only got worse. Yet another fake Kung Fu master making videos like this and the one below and claiming special powers.

You don't need a single day of Tai Chi training to see this is total shenanigans from a combat sport perspective. If there's actual video of this guy sparring for real I'll be shocked. The people who train Tai chi fighting for real never need to produce videos like this for their own self validation.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks this would work needs a wakeup call. Not only is that not an "MMA takedown", his counter is laughable and he would be killed by a trained grappler. And of course the comment section for this one is full of deluded people claiming Tai Chi isn't "meant for the ring". Great, then stop calling your version a martial art. Call it exercise like the wise old Chinese elders do.

axelb likes this.
  19. windwalker

windwalker Member

What is clearly fake ?

Why is it fake ?

20. Dead_pool

Randi was a fraud?

I'd like to learn more, because he wasn't actually a magician, or something else?

James Randi - Wikipedia