Adam Mizner?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by EmptyHandGuy, Apr 20, 2020.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I thought Chi is the old anglicised version of the Chinese and Qi is the modern anglicised version.

Ki is the anglicised Japanese and Korean, as far as I know.

Never seen chie or chee written.

Dan Bian and Nachi like this.
  2. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I agree with what is written above, plus I think "qi" as in energy and "chi" in Tai chi are, in fact, two different words. If I remember correctly, I heard they are also pronounced a bit differently.

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Correct.

In "Wade Giles" romanisation, the martial art of "Tai Chi Chuan"

In the modern Pinyin system, the martial art is "Tai Ji Quan"

In "Wade Giles", the concept of "Chi"

In Pinyin, it is spelt "Qi"

The "Chi" in Tai Chi Chuan is different to the "energetic" Chi. Hence why it is spelt differently in Pinyin. Its a different word.

Their
    There
    They're

May sound the same, but the meaning is different.

Tai Chi Chuan/Tai Ji Quan translates as Infinate Ultimate Boxing Method.

Chi/Qi is commonly translated/interpreted as "energy"

David Harrison likes this.
  4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yet they still confuse English speaking adults!

axelb and Dan Bian like this.
  5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Wade-Giles----T'ai Chi Ch'uan-note apostrophes.

Pinyin---Taiji quan-note "Tai" and "ji" become one (WOW! The two become one.How.... groovy.)

Wade Giles---ch'i,as in energy or whatever,note apostrophe.

Why the Yale phonetical method never became the norm is beyond me.Pinyin has stupid rules (q = ch,for example) and Wade-Giles has stupid rules.With Yale one doesn't need to know any rules. But it never caught on.

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

7. DPants

DPants New Member

And then there's this... is that Machida and Werdum? And Brian Shaw?! With Mizner??

8. Dan Bian

Staged demos are easily manipulated, and the power of the editing suite should not be underestimated.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Professional athletes taking part in vague demonstrations of physical skill and then saying something nice in exchange for money, I wonder why they would do that!

#itsmoneyofcourse

David Harrison, Dan Bian and axelb like this.
  10. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

I don't want to derail the topic, but what I do see lately on this forum is that a lot of folks only see the worst in people these days.......

I always thought that the whole Tai Chi thing was vague, and then I decided to try it and experience it for what it was, this to cultivate some understanding. Maybe you should do the same.

P.S: I dont train with Mizner but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I get the chance to ever experience him.

11. Dead_pool

I've trained a very small amount of tai chi (a few hours) and Bagua, (probably 100 hours max) I also have decades in more hands on martial arts.

The reason why it's easy to think the worst of people, is because people are the worst, most martial arts are terrible, and most people have no real grasp on their own abilities.

If you want to believe In something, that's great, but you can't expect other people to buy into your own beliefs, with no further evidence.

cloudz and Dan Bian like this.
  12. Dan Bian

I've been practicing Tai Chi for nearly 20 years (oh god, now I feel old!) and I had around 10 years of martial arts experience in Karate, TaeKwonDo, and Jujutsu before hand.
    I've been lucky enough to train with some very knowledgable teachers, with a variety of approaches.

Nothing I have seen, or experienced for myself leads me to give any credibility to the legitimacy of Adam "Jalapeno" Mizner's tai chi fighting skill.

His forms can be pretty, I'll grant him that much.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

You know, I see myself as one of the most skeptical guys in the world of martial arts and I never trained with Mizner (and probably never will because my interest in Tai Chi is zero percent), but doesn't evidence goes both ways?

Don't want to drift away to much from the original discussion, just speaking my mind...... :)

14. Dan Bian

Except that what Mizner presents isn't evidence, because it's not verifiable. It's basically here-say.

axelb likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

"When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim especially when it challenges a perceived status quo.[1] This is also stated in Hitchens's razor, which declares that "what may be asserted without evidence, may be dismissed without evidence." Carl Sagan proposed a related criterion – "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" – which is known as the Sagan standard.[2]"

This seems relevent.
    The burden of proof/evidence doesn't work both ways,

If I were to say to you, my magic Chinese eye beams can cure cancer, then it's up to me to back up that claim, with evidence, and if I don't, then you know my claim was incorrect.

It wouldn't be up to you to prove me wrong.

Burden of proof (philosophy) - Wikipedia

aaradia and Dan Bian like this.
  16. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

The same goes for you, you basically say he's a charlatan, so were's your proof?

#itsmoneyofcourse <----were is your proof?

17. Dead_pool

I actually laid out my logical reasoning in my first post. Feel free to disagree though

Why would pro athletes take on a paid job?

18. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

But did you see proof of payment? You claimed or insinuated that they got payed so weres your proof?

19. Dead_pool

You do know people get paid to appear in documentaries/adverts etc, nobody works for free.

Especially pro athletes. That's literally how they convert their fame into income.

axelb and Dan Bian like this.
  20. Dan Bian

Mizner is the one claiming that he has, and is able to teach certain "abilities" - as he is the one to make that claim, its up to him to prove it.
    My evidence that he is a charlatan is that he has failed to, and refuses to, provide evidence of the abilities that he claims to have, in an unscripted scenario, against non compliant demo partners.

aaradia, axelb and Dead_pool like this.