Adam Mizner?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by EmptyHandGuy, Apr 20, 2020.

1. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Been watching a load of stuff over the last few weeks on youtube and Facebook, came across this guy called Adam Mizner and was wondering what you all thought of him? This video came up on FB today, it to me looks, well fake. All the jumping around and stuff with almost negligible contact just has me wondering how and why people would post stuff like this that in my mind makes taiji look like an art for the easily fooled and gullible? Not to be totally negative, there is some great stuff put out by Mr Mizner but also so wacky stuff like this!

Also been on the youtube Martial Man channel:

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

There is a clip out there of a Mizner follower claiming you can transfer chi and push someone through a jalapeno pepper. :rolleyes:

That says it all.

axelb and Xue Sheng like this.
  3. EmptyHandGuy

Did it come with a demonstration? :D

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Sadly, yes.

These days I try not to go in for bashing.

But Mizner is an utter fraud.

axelb and aaradia like this.
  5. EmptyHandGuy

Have you had experience of him personally? I've watched a few of his videos lately and there is some interesting stuff mixed in with the wacky stuff. There does seem to be an overabundance of wacky stuff out there in the taiji world, I guess it's an art that has more than its fair share of snake oil salesmen!

6. aaradia

When his lineage claims to send chi blasts through jalapeno's, there is no need to have personal experience to form an opinion.

Really

That says it all.

Truly.

Dan Bian likes this.
  7. Dan Bian

As Aaradia says, with some of the stuff he puts out - you don't need to have first hand experience to judge.

Like a lot of people in taiji-land, yeah he has some interesting stuff. But on the scales, the level of nonsense outweighs the nuggets of insight.

EmptyHandGuy likes this.
  8. EmptyHandGuy

Do you have a link to this?

9. BJJ Enthusiast

BJJ Enthusiast New Member

These people can be pretty dangerous in my opinion. An obvious fraud.

axelb likes this.
  10. aaradia

Started a thread about it years ago. The link seems unavailable. Don't know if it still exists or if they got ridiculed so much it is not available anywhere any longer. I have googled it and not found it. Pretty sure you were on MAP when this was available.

Chi blast through Jalapeno's

Grond likes this.
  11. Dan Bian

As I remember, the video was made private to members of his group, because it got him flame-grilled across multiple martial art discussion boards.

12. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I don't know a whole lot about Adam Mizner but nothing I have seen has impressed me all that much to want to know more either. Maybe good may not be, the only way I guess to know is to train with him. However I have no plans to do that, nor am I going to make any.

EmptyHandGuy and Dan Bian like this.
  13. EmptyHandGuy

Thanks, will have a read through it!

14. EmptyHandGuy

In what way dangerous? Dishonest and leading people down the garden path comes to mind but dangerous? In their own self delusion maybe?

15. EmptyHandGuy

I've now read the thread and would agree that he comes across as a bit of a mixed bag, he obviously has knowledge and some skills but he has shrouded it in his mystic mumbo jumbo!

16. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I try and avoid talking about these frauds as it brings too much attention to them, which seems to help facilitate their following, but this guy really needs exposure along with all the other snake oil frauds preying on the less experienced.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  17. EmptyHandGuy

Would it not be better to discuss these "frauds" as you say so as to discourage others from possibly falling for their fakery? Surely the more information out there calling them out on what they are teaching is a good thing, with the end result being less people falling under their influence?

18. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I believe they need exposure, but I think we all have a limited amount of time; I would rather use my time to promote or bring attention to the club's and martial artists that bring much more to the community :)

Certainly if you have time to bring appropriate attention, then it has some value to stop new students signing up, but not for me, my screen time is limited due to other commitments (family, training, work) :)

19. EmptyHandGuy

Of course the promotion of reputable clubs and teachers is also a major part as well, how are people to know what the good and bad out there is if nobody discusses it! It was from this angle I was thinking, when people ask about certain teachers like Mr Mizner then the discussion can happen alongside pointing out the good alternatives!

axelb likes this.
  20. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

oh yeah, him?
    lol

tai chi's marmite

axelb likes this.