Actual Street Encounters

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tengu, Apr 16, 2004.

1. tengu

tengu Capoeirista "Paparazzi"

Hi! If this thread is re-treading old ground, my apologies, I'm studying many arts at the mo, and wanted to get some experiences from anyone, from any art that has had to use their art in ACTUAL COMBAT, could you please tell me all aboutyour experience successful or otherwise, as I'm finding my feet in the web of practicality, and finding it hard to stand up!

yours in the arts

2. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

TBH my training in TKD has helped me stay out of trouble.

I have been in less scuffles since taking up MA.

Although I was able to defend some one that was being punched. Thats about it.

3. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

My sensei has all the better stories than I do. He's had to use his training multiple times, and he's always dealt with the situation without acually doing major damage to the attacker or restrainee. However his shining moment was about three weeks ago.
    He works at a group home for teenagers, most of which already have some problems with the law. Well, these kids have a bad tendency to try and skirt around the rules.
    A group of these girls had snuck out, gone to the corner store, bought beer, and were found trying to sneak into the boys' dorm. Well, this wasn't exactly in accordance with the group home policy, so Sensei had to do something about it. He blocked the way into the dorm, and ended up having to restrain one of the girls.
    The other girl booked it back into the girls' dorm and started screaming. Next thing Sensei knows, he's got a dozen teenagers jumping him. By the time the actual security force at the group home had arrived, Sensei had the situation totally under control. Those that weren't knocked out had the fight gone from them. There were no major injuries for any of the girls, just bumps and bruises (and slight headackes when they regained consciousness.)
    Sensei didn't come out of this totally flawless, though. He had fingernail marks all on his chest, a nice flowering bruise on his eye, and two bite wounds on his arm that he had to go get a tetanus shot for.
    Oh, yeah, the kicker of this story? This was while Sensei still had his hard plastic boot on from his ankle injury. He did that with one working foot.

4. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

I was stopping a shoplifter-he attempts to run,I grab his shirt collar. He comes to a stop,turns throwing a nice big slow looping patented John Wayne haymaker at me. I rotate around him,get rear naked choke-choke him till he's slightly loopy,handcuff him.

Another one attempted to shove me back getting ready to throw a couple of punches. I grab his right arm down near the elbow/bicep with my left hand,grab his chin with my right hand-pivot on right foot,swing left leg back and around while pushing back and up on his chin. Get him on ground,get mount and explain to him the error of his ways.

Have several similar stories, all work related. Sorry, I have never had to hit anyone,just grapple them into handcuffs.

5. StreetDragon

StreetDragon Banned Banned

Wow.. that a really broad topic.
    I could be here all day.

One time my be and home boys where hangin out on 11th down town Calgary. previously known as electric avenue, and we were hussling rock back then. Then two undercover pigs jumped out with billy clubs. While being pinned against the wall, we had nowhere to run. One of them took down one of my 280 pound number one man, who I thought could handle himself a little better. Leaving me to defend for my self (150 pounds). Fortunatly I had been studding alot of philipino martial arts involving such a weapon. After avoiding two attacks and taking one hit in the bicept I was able to grab the baton and was able to execute a quick sweep kick followed by an arm bar while forced the officer to lose his grip on the baton. After that i had no problem defending myself with his billy club, while one of my other boys was able to take his firearm. We were able to then negotiate out way into our car and then run.

I would suggest philipino stick fighting to anyone who might encounter clubs or any kind.

6. tengu

tengu Capoeirista "Paparazzi"

good stuff

This is exactly what I wanted keep it coming!

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

My family had a chinese take-away for years which is situated between 5 pubs. So we used to get a lot of hassle.

One time, 3 guys throwing stuff and almost attacked a woman in our shop. My Dad, went over to stop them after waiting for the Police to arrive, (its been like 20 minutes). He grabbed one and rammed his head to a wall, elbowed another at the back of his head and the last guy managed to grab my dad (he's like 5'5, the guy was 6ft) and punch him in the face, my Dad retaliated with a punch of his own, knocking the guy down. He got up and ran, and so did the other 2 when they regained their senses, the Police finally arrived and chased them down the street but never caught them.

So we were left with a half wrecked shop, a scared woman and my Dad had a near busted eye socket, cos the guy was wearing a ring.

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yes - we have done this before...

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5833

9. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

Use The Search Function Believe Me It Works!!!!

10. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

wow possesion with intent to sell,resisting arrest, assaulting an officer AND assaulting an officer with a deadly weapon, thats an easy way to get your ass shot 40 times by cops and/or sentenced to death/life in prison without parole..i dunno about u canadians but if u pull that **** in texas or another state with the death penalty, dont expect a nice trial.

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Unfortunately as you'll see from his user title - Streetdragon will not be replying anytime soon. He's been and tried and sentenced already :D

12. Kukishinden Ryu

Kukishinden Ryu New Member

I used to take ketsugo wich is one of those mutt arts. Whene I got into a fight I tride using some of the high kicks I had been tought. Word of advice don't use high kicks on a skilled fighter unless you are realy realy good at them or as a finishing technique after you have the upper hand. Know I practice low kicks that are hard to see and attack below the wast. Allso many judo style defences against a punch do not work when you try to grab their hand out of thin air. Just for the record I got my ass kicked. I left the art in search of something more practical instead of tourament based. hope this helps

13. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

Judo does work on "the street", so does jujitsu,aikido,bjj, ad nauseum.
    If you wait for the attack to come,then try to snatch the punch out of the air-yes,you will get your buttocks firmly and solidly trod upon.
    Try learning a little skill called "entering", combined with being proactive-not reactive.

14. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

haha i remember a UFC fight where this guy knocks a heavyweight out with a highkick to the face. although that guy was pretty much ready to pass out from being so tired and he read the high kick as a low kick and dropped his guard-bad idea.

15. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

One of my fights happened when I was 17. My friend (we faught alot and thats a highlight :) ) called me a bitch when I was drunk and I koed him with one hook. I think I was 16 when this other fight happened. The guy punched me in the stomach and I brought him into a clinch and kneed him until he feel to the ground and he didn't get up. Another fight when I was 16 I threw a hook and missed then the guy grappled me to the floor. He came to close in for mount and I kicked him in the groin got up and repeatedly elbowed and punched him in the head until he was koed. In another fight when I was 18 a guy punched me in my eye sending me flying back. I got up kicked him in the stomach with a thrust kick he was hunched over and I started front kicking him in the face and it was over. I got alot more and have gotten my ass kicked as well. Worst thing that happened to me was chipping two teeth.

edit: I had kenpo training back then. I have not been in a fight since I was 18 and havn't tested my new training.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  16. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

ahaha i always thought u were a chick kenpo and i was like WTF since when do chicks get in so many fights with guys. i just checked ur profile though :D
    i think its the cat avatar that threw me off

17. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Well my last encounter was last saturday i went out from work on break to get something to eat ..some fourteen year old kid almost ran me over with his skateboard as i stepped out the door so i jumped back and forward in front of him just making a joke... he must have been uncomfortable so he started calling me an fing this and an fing that ..i was a bit annoyed because i had a lot on my plate and had only been joking so i just looked at him and said "WHAT" while still walking get around the corner and theres about twelve of his mates there and he starts acting realy tough so i looked him in the i and told him firmly that there wasnt enough of them there for him to think he could be that smart to me and i must have looked pretty serious because him and hes mates just shut up

Usualy i would have just said sorry but lack of sleep and stress can make you forget yourself sometimes thankfully situation resolved without the need to resort to violence :)

18. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Lol, ugh I should change the avatar. I'm a big fan of cats, oh well.

19. Kukishinden Ryu

Kukishinden Ryu New Member

It does work if you are very subltle with you're movements. For exaple whene you go to put on a guiaku instead of snatching the hand out of mid air or waiting till it's to late instead I run my hand allong the whole length of the arm verey lightly untill I get to his hand. Allways remember that the hand should move befor the body. Otherwise it does not work. I was not tought this way untill I started training in ninjutsu.

20. Flashing Dagger

Flashing Dagger Valued Member

In reference to the earlier moronic post my StreetDragon.....is that what they call a 'virtual tough guy'?