acrobatic silat

Discussion in 'Silat' started by kilat02, Jun 24, 2010.

1. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

I really like the wushu acrobatic's and I even have caught myself trying a butterfly kick. but i was wondering if there are any Silat aerial techniques I
    have heard of the style Silat Seni Gayung who seem to use much acrobatics
    in there style (I have heard:confused:) altough I know silat has very low techniques and stances

'm wondering of any of you out there know some Silat aerial techniques
    and wish to sheard them, also what your thoughts are on aerial techniques and there effectivness in combat.:lowblow:

2. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

*sigh* guess nobody knows.:dunno:

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

well part of your question is very hard to take seriously. acrobatic stuff usually telegraphs like crazy... so there goes combat effectiveness right out the window. :p

4. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Agree with Slip, aerial techniques are considered by most to have next to no real combat effectiveness. But they could be alright just for athleticism I guess

5. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

well, maby did i put it wrongly. under acrobatic's I mean:
    flying/jumping kicks, siccor kicks, Muay boran flying knees ect.
    I for one would never do such move's in a self-defence situation
    but i geuss a taekwondo guy would disagree with the effectiveness of aerial techniques, and would say it has:

1: element of surprise.
    2: more power of the techniques.
    3: different angels.
    4: overcomin obstacles (let's say guy is behind a fence, or during fleeing or chasing jumping over obstacles)

Ps.
    and nobody heard of the Silat Seni Gayung style?

6. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

I'm in Malaysia. Silat Gayong is very famous here.

They do quite a bit of acrobatics in training and demos.

If you want to study those types of moves, for whatever reasons, Gayong is a great style for that.

Just so you know, it is a hard style and those moves are not taught immediately. You have to go through basics first.

I don't practise Gayong but have had friends who did.

All the best.

7. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

Thank's for the info
    I think I incorrectly spelled it. Silat Gayung=Silat Gayong:rolleyes:
    I look't up some info on "Silat Gayong" but could't find much.
    here in Holland it's quit a rare style, i could however find some web-site's in indonesian, but my indonesian doesn't go further than: Hormat, Duduk, Berdiri, Berhinti, Mulai, Sedia, Jurus, Lankah, Harimau/Macan and Monjet.

so that din't really work.

Ps.
    what style do you practice? (pakarilusi)

8. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Some spell it Gayong, some Gayung. Too bad it's not available near you...

I've personally done Silat Harimau Beranntai and Silat Cekak Hanafi.

How about the Silat styles that are there?

What were the websites you couldn't understand? Maybe I can translate...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  9. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

the most commen styles are:

1= tapak suci
    2= pencak silat bongkot harimau
    3= lot's of pencak silat Manyang styles
    4= and lot's of pencak silat Setia Hati styles
    5= and also kuntao style's

I practice Bongkot friesland under George L. Fredriksz
    Head Teacher of Bongkot Friesland.
    Bongkot Friesland is a sub-brance of bongkot harimau and is named after the Province of Friesland which is located in the Netherlands(where i live:))
    I can't tell much about it because I have not learned other styles of Pencak Silat so I don't know to what extent the similarly/differnt's are between the other styles of pencak silat. but we do not practise much jurus and do not use traditional costumes (just the normal uniform) the focus is mainly on Bela Diri and olah raga. and it's and is characterized by the use of many feints and explosive power.

Ps.
    we just had some pre-selection fight's for the oncoming WK matches. or team did pretty well.

Only Cido Venema (youth), who also participated for the first time, unfortunately fell just outside the prizes.

Juniors:
    -60 kg Sem, 1e

Seniors:
    -65 kg Cor, 3e
    -65 kg Patrick, 1e
    -70 kg Dennis, 1e
    -75 kg Jan, 1e
    -85 kg Robin, 3e
    -85 kg Wesley, 1e
    -90 kg Bauke, 2e
    Open Class Arjan, 1e

In five of the eight men's weight classes: Bongkot Friesland # 1

10. jpgayong

jpgayong New Member

Hi all,

I train in Gayong in the USA. "Acrobatics" are part of Gayong training. It is used to train your body for escape mostly. Lots of the jumping, rolling, etc are techniques found in many other style as well. Much of the acrobatics you will see on places like youtube and such, are demos. In a demo, the intensity level is raised so there will be more acrobatics or exagerated movements. When we learn rolling for example, the techniques are applied to escaping from a situation, trying to do that as safely as possible.

As far as I know there's no Gayong in Holland. The closest to you would be Cikgu Ariffin's group in the UK. There's not a whole lot of info on Silat Seni Gayong out there outside SE Asia. If you find it on the web, it's usually in Bahasa :) English language will be the next easiest to find, and good luck with most other languages when searching!

11. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

Hmm.

It is used to train your body for escape mostly. Lots of the jumping, rolling, etc

that sounds like A different application than most martial arts who use springing techniques offensively (flying kicks ect.)
    Gayong acrobatic have a more defensive purposes. Hmm that sounds good. a "let's say" acrobatic offensive technique is risky and leaves many openings, but to use it to get away from the apponent creating a big distance between you and the attacker
    and bring your body radically from the line of attack.....nice:cool:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010