Abs work out question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by MindTricks, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Get away. Punches are controlled. The person being punched can determine if they are happy with the level.
    With someone running across multiple people what they get on their stomach is what they get. They have no say or control over it. It's not scaleable.

Don't get me wrong. I'm pretty sure I could have a fairly heavy person standing on my stomach. But there are more combatively applicable ways of training to take a body shot without introducing that "what if" factor of some muppet stepping on people.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That's fair enough, I'm not about to say it's an indispensable part of my teaching repetoir by any stretch of the imagination. I've never done it with my students, and am unlikely to.

To be honest, it was the Muppet factor element of the unexpected that made it fun for me. No accounting for taste eh?!

Edit: oh, and I was talking about receiving punches in sparring. A knuckle hurts a lot more than the sole of a trainer. Prob'ly summit to do with those PSI thingies or summit...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Jogging over each others stomachs is a side show stunt, it isn't good conditioning.

Not only that there is no element of control. Drills such as the one in my video, or the medicine ball training Slip showed is a two person affair. There is, or at least should be some level of communication between the trainer and student.

the only communication you can possibly have when jogging over each other is, "ready"? Then hope for the best.

I've been on the receiving end, it was the done thing in Kung Fu years ago. I wouldn't allow it in my class though.

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I pretty much agree Simon. I think that punching, or good old hard sparring, are ultimately the best way of learning how to deal with it.

5. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

thx for all your replies ! lots of help as always :D

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Korean grilled pork belly BBQ ("samgyeopsal")

Dude!! Pork belly is one of the most prized meats in Asia!! Here's a starter for you so I hope you try it as it's fantastic to eat, usually very cheap (great on a student budget) and addictive!!

:D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vy19VqtYiKc"]Korean grilled pork belly BBQ ("samgyeopsal":삼겹살) - YouTube[/ame]

LFD

7. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

definitely mix it up... I was doing crunches only for a long time and got to the point where I was doing 3000 a night. I even had my Wife watch my form to make sure it was completely correct. I have scoliosis though and my back is so messed up with buldging discs that I can't do much. If you can do that many though, IMO it's not really helping because the body will get used to anything, and crunches aren't a hard exercise so i'm not at all trying to brag. It was actually quite boring. Hanging leg raises are a great way to build the lower abs adding weight once you get to about 12 reps (for size). More reps will be better to help with muscular endurance, but for explosive power the lower reps and plyometrics should be added.

8. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

This is the truth about abs and dont let anyone tell you any differently. However I can tell you that gained a six pack doing nothing more than resting my feet straight out six inches off the floor and holding it there for one min thirty seconds three times a day and preforming other core building exorcizes like push ups and standing leg raises.

9. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

This is one of my favorite home traiing workouts, not only did it help me calm down while getting peppered in the mid section it also made my abbs stronger.